Chapter 1: The Autumn Gateway

Chapter 1: The Autumn Gateway

A Chapter by Faith2993

Roaming around the little city of Hallow Creek, availing the inkiness of the moonless autumn night, Rydeir Edris was almost invisible. After all, you cannot see a shadow in the dark and at this particular moment he was making one with the night. His long glossy black mantle was floating majestically behind him as he slid and sprang from rooftops to rooftops, making his way towards the Red Tower. As the city clock displayed eight, he hastened his steps , never once his deft motions shattered the heavy silence that weighs over the city around this time. In a single movement, he made a leap on the old stone church and with a backflip, bounced directly on top of the tower.  


He knew every cobblestone, every corner and every rooftop of Hallow Creek. He has wandered over the city far too many times to his own liking. There was something that kept drawing him back to the Red Tower. Maybe it was the freedom that he felt straying in a world that wasn’t his own, or the fascination he had for the humans, or simply the mystery that hovered over this place.  He had never given much thought as to what really attracted him to the city. All he knew was that he had to be at the Red Tower by eight every night or else he had a feeling that would be missing something important.


Standing tall at the summit of the tower, he removed his hood and let his silky white hair loose.    The chilly October breeze scattered the thick clouds and moonlight was shed on Rydeir’s figure  through the tiny cleared spaces in the sky. The paleness of his complexion was striking and the black tribal pattern on his left cheek only accentuated his lividness. Even though he looked like his body was drained from every drop of blood, he gave off an air of boldness. He was indubitably  one of the most redoubted warrior of his generation. His svelte yet muscular physique was always dissimulated beneath an impenetrable body armor that served, not as a means of protection as one would think, but rather to flaunt his royal status. In fact, his bones have the same molecular structure as a diamond, which makes his race the strongest on earth. He could kill a thousand men with his bare hands without being left with a scratch. Rydeir was the incarnate representation of the glory of Volkers. Everything about him and his people oozed perfection.


His face was of a unique beauty with outstanding soft features. He had what could be described as an androgynous face characterized by high cheekbones and a pair of full lips that were perpetually pursed as if locking up a secret. His long lashes and arched white brows gave him a haughty air.


Driven by his patroller’s instincts, he scanned the neighborhood, his grey eyes emitting soft silvery beams of light. What exactly was he looking for in such a small human city? Well, something unexpected happened at the beginning of this autumn; a phenomenon that only occurred once every decade. When the bright green fades away and the first leaves turn a shade of yellow, a gateway to the Kingdom of Thetie opens. Since the beginning of times, it has been this way. The location where the gateway appears differs every time but the time period remains the same. This  passageway was the only link the human world had with the home of an infinitude of mind-boggling creatures. Those logic defying beings that swarm in the depth of Thetie has been the source of many legends and myths around the human world.


This time around however, there seemed to be an irregularity in the opening pattern. The gateway was operational again even though it has only been eight years since it last opened. Two more years should have elapsed before it was due to appear. Rydeir, who was the most promising patroller of the legion of Thetie, was sent to inspect the gateway and hold investigations to find an explanation for this singular occurrence but the mystery remained, to this day, unsolved. Despite his thorough researches, he did not find anything wrong or dubious about the whole situation. 



What he found was rather an insatiable curiosity for the humans and the functioning of their world. He was so captivated by their way of living that he found himself coming back to Hallow Creek day after day. Officially, he was still undertaking investigations but in reality all he did was observe the coming and going of the inhabitants. From his observations, he has noted that many Thetiens lived in the city. They mingled with the humans adopting their culture, fashion and manners and repressing their inner nature. The blend was so delusive that it could mislead any eyes except a volker’s.  As his beamy gaze surveyed the area, something caught his attention.  A  lovely red brick house with a vintage sloping roofing was surrounded by a subtle glimmer of light. He assessed the infrastructures around, trying to mentally design a safe path to get closer to that house but there seemed to be none. So, he squinted and pricked his ears to closely keep watch of the doings of the occupants. 


A fairly tall woman wearing a maxi red bohemian dress and a couple of crystal necklaces was busy in the kitchen, going through a  myriad of jars scattered on the table. She was very athletic, having the toned body of a twenty year old but somehow her face gave he age away. The fine lines on her forehead and around her eyes indicated that she was probably in her early forties. She seemed to be looking for something, her tousled hair  whirling with her frenzied spins as she went back and forth the kitchen table and the wall of shelves. Rydeir was not familiar with kitchen ingredients but he was definitely sure that it was not common for someone to possess that ridiculously large number of jars. Looking closely, they contained what seemed to be a variety of leaves, herbs, flowers, dried plants, spices and small twigs.  The woman was muttering repeatedly under her breath ‘dried fennel seeds’ and just before the kettle whistled, she exclaimed: « Ahhh there you are.», addressing a small glass jar.


She picked up the jar filled with what Rydeir assumed to be dried fennel seeds, unlocked it, grabbed a handful of them and threw the seeds in the boiling kettle. She cleared the mess around, carelessly shoving away the jars at the far end of the massive wooden table, and set two plates and mugs next to one another.


« Caitriona, breakfast is ready! » she yelled throwing her head back to look at the ceiling. 


Rydeir furrowed his brows and leaned forward to look at the enormous clock hanging on the church’s tower. He wasn’t mistaken, it was indeed 8 p.m. Something was wrong with this woman and in any case, she definitely looked as crazy as she sounded. 


Upstairs, in the room situated right above the kitchen, lied a young girl on her way too small bed. Her frail frame was wrapped in a large colorful shawl and she was so absorbed by the lines written in the old book she was holding that she was oblivious to the fuss taking place in the kitchen. She was so intently concentrated that her mother had to scream her name a second time for her to snap out of her book. She unwillingly closed the latter and fondly stroked it’s cover. The book was handled with great care, the binding being so fragile any sudden movement could loosen the    already wobbly pages. The outer brown surface of the book was covered with spirals of chipped golden letters forming the title « Greenery and Progeny of Thetie ».  


Rydeir remembered having to refer back to this book for his History classes when he was still a student at the Trillium Academy. Though it was only a few years ago, that period seemed to be a lifetime ago. So many things have changed and though very instructive, the « Greenery and Progeny of Thetie » has been of no real use to him. The book’s detailed description of each and every being that lives in Thetie fell more in the realm of fantasy than reality. Being a patroller who has  ventured in foreign lands, Rydeir knew more than anybody about the absurdity of what is narrated on those pages. Most of the creatures depicted in that book were only memories of a world that no more existed. Thetie has become a hostile kingdom and what once made it’s richness was what caused it’s downfall. After the Great Snow War, the forceful exertion to suppress the diversity of our nation has compelled many communities to find refuge in remote and unexplored lands. Nowadays, many of them are believed to be extinct and without tales and books, their existence would be forever forgotten. For Rydeir, the fact that during all those years no evidence of their presence were ever discovered proved that they were no longer of this world. 


Caitriona dragged herself out of bed and put the book down on her nightstand. Rydeir immediately  sensed that something wasn’t right with this girl. Sharpening his hearing, he noticed that her heartbeat was very weak and her breathing difficult. Getting out of the bed demanded her such a great effort that when she stood up, she wavered. She had to hold on to the bedhead to keep her balance. Getting air into her lungs seemed to be a strenuous task, though she was inhaling deeply. She staggered out of her room and went down the stairs, her grip never loosening on the banister. Her mother joined her at the bottom of the stairs, put an arm around her shoulders and both headed towards the kitchen. 


« I’ve prepared your favorite thing in the world. » She said joyfully to her daughter who smiled knowingly.


« Breakfast for dinner? » Caitriona asked optimistically.


« Breakfast for dinner. » Her mother confirmed with a laugh.


Plates filled with food were awaiting on the teak table. There were scrambled eggs, fried sausages, bacon, grilled toasts, an assortment of jam, a stack of pancakes, a small jug of maple syrup, a large bowl of porridge and a basket of fresh fruits. It was way too much food for two persons. The mother pulled out a chair and installed Caitriona. She readjusted the shawl tightly around her daughter and went to fetch the kettle to pour her a cup of tea. She was thanked with a smile and as she was about to sit down, the telephone rang. 


The woman sighed and placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder and said:

« Don’t wait for me hun…Start eating before everything’s cold. »


She went to the small entrance hall where the telephone hung on the wall. 


« Hello Annabeth, it’s…it’s Deb. What are we going to do Anna? » A hoarse panicked voice said on the other line.


« Hey Deb, please calm down. What do you mean ‘what are we going to do’? What are you talking about? » Annabeth replied 


« We received it today Anna…My poor little boy…He received his today. » A sob was heard on the line before she pursued: « Caitriona’s won’t be long now »


« Wait Deborah, I don’t understand. What did Cian received? » Annabeth asked confused.


There was a long solemn silence before a pang of realization hit Annabeth. With affiction, she turned her gaze towards the small black box lying on the hallway table next to her mail.


« Oh I see. The postman delivered a parcel today but I haven’t opened it yet. I’m afraid that’s what we expected. » Annabeth murmured with a barely audible voice. 


« I can’t let my child go back there Anna…and my sweet niece…my lovely Caitriona. We’re going to lose them both and I will never let that happen. Look at what they did to Dad…Look at what they did to Cian father. » Annabeth was listening intently to her sister, taking in every word she was saying. Her gaze was fixed on her daughter sitting uncomfortably in the kitchen. She knew that  the situation was out of her control and the helplessness was killing her inside.


« We must follow the rules Deb and you know it. At this point there’s nothing we can do. Either way we’re going to lose them so I suggest we go with the flow and figure out something along the way, what do you think? » Annabeth said confidently in an attempt to soothe her sister.


« Sounds terrible but okay I guess. » Deborah replied hesitantly before adding « I’ve talked with the others and the move is scheduled for tomorrow evening so I think it’s best we meet in the morning at your place. »


« Alright…See you tomorrow then. » Annabeth said weakly.

« Bye » , was the only thing that Deb said.


« And Deborah? » Annabeth called as her sister was about to hang up


« Hmmm » Deb responded.


« I’m so sorry.» An exhale was heard before the line went dead.


Annabeth slowly hang up and before she entered the kitchen, she took a deep breath and plastered a smile on her face. She didn’t know how to announce the news to her daughter.


« Who was it? » Catriona inquired as her mother entered the kitchen.


« Oh it was aunt Deb. » Annabeth said evasively as she reached out for her daughter’s mug to pour another cup of tea. She stopped dead in her tracks as she saw the form that the tea leaves have taken at the bottom of the mug. She shakily put the kettle down and sat down utterly dumbfounded.  


« Mom, are you alright? » Caitriona asked visibly worried by her mother’s reaction. She snatched the mug out of her mother’s hand and looked inside of it. She knew that her mother believed in strange things like the divination power of tea leaves. But as for her, let’s say that she wouldn’t really rely on tea leaves to foretell anything.


« What do you see? » Annabeth asked her daughter in all seriousness. Caitriona was grinning lightly at the ludicrous situation but her face fell when she saw her mother’s aggravated look.


She focussed on the tea leaves before saying anything. There could be no mistake at interpreting the figure formed by the tea leaves. The outline was very clear and precise.


« I see… » Caitriona paused for a second. She wasn’t sure if voicing it out loud to her mother was a good idea because judging by the face she was making, the figure seemed to be a bad omen.


Her mother motioned her to go ahead and, deciding she couldn’t make something up on such an obvious shape, she firmly said: « I see a Lion’s head. »


Annabeth gasped, the words of her daughter resonated like a gong in her ears, confirming what she has always apprehended.  The process has begun and to her great despair there was no running away this time. 


Annabeth rose from her chair and kissed her daughter on her forehead. She cleared the strands of hair from Caitriona’s face, lifted her chin so she was looking directly into her mother’s eyes and said « After dinner you need to pack all your things. Tomorrow morning aunt Deb will drop by the house and we need to be ready. »


« Ready for what? » Caitriona asked suspiciously.


« Ready to leave dear. We are going on a trip and I don’t think we’ll be coming back to Hallow Creek any time soon. »


« Where are we going? I can’t go anywhere I have school. » Caitriona said vehemently. She did not understand her mother’s motives and she did not want to leave the city she grew up in. She had so many memories here.


« We’re going on an adventure. » Annabeth said with fake enthusiasm. When she saw that her daughter was not buying it, her cheerfulness flattened and she continued more temperately:  « Tomorrow aunt Deb and I will explain everything to you. I suppose Cian have plenty of questions too so we’ll kill two birds with one stone. In the meantime please do what I say and as for school, there is one at the place we’re going. »


Caitriona remained quiet. She did not understand all this sudden mystery but she trusted her mother. Plus, the idea that her cousin Cian was also coming along somehow comforted her.


« Okay, I’ll pack my stuff for tomorrow. » Caitriona said finally giving in.


« Great! » Annabeth exclaimed with a hand clap. She eagerly sat down again in front of her plate and helped herself to rather large portions of the various dishes. She crammed as much food as she could on her plate and stopped only when a sausage dangled dangerously close to the rim. 


Caitriona was only starting her second pancake that her mother had already gobbled up most of the contents on her plate.


« I don’t understand how you can eat this much. » Caitriona said with a tone that was somewhere between disgust and puzzlement.


« Hey this is a non judgemental zone. » Annabeth said in reference to the kitchen and feigning offense. « You choose not to eat animals and I choose not to eat… » she stopped her sentence to think of an appropriate word and eventually said proudly: « …little. » With that, as if to make her point, she bit heartily into a crunchy toast and made her daughter guffaw at her gluttony.


Everything was emptied in no time except the porridge. Rydeir who was still perched on the tower was very disturbed by this family. Judging by the amount of food that woman just chugged, she was definitely not human. « What kind of species eat that much? » Rydeir asked himself. She could be an ogre or a troll or a giant. But none of these creatures could leave Thetie because of their non human appearance.


This woman could be easily confused with a human and her daughter too. Refocusing his attention on the household, he noticed that Caitriona has left the kitchen and climbed upstairs back to her room. She was taking her clothes out of her wardrobe and throwing them into a suitcase. Her mother was still in the kitchen, pouring porridge into very tiny bowls. She placed them on the table along with a honey pot and tied a red bow around it. 


Annabeth then made her way to the sink and carried on washing the dishes. While doing so, she seemed to be talking to herself because Rydeir saw her mouth moving. But he couldn't hear what she was saying because the golden light that caught his attention earlier on was emanating from the attic.



© 2016 Faith2993


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on August 26, 2016
Tags: Dark, Mystery