Chapter 2: Golden Misery

Chapter 2: Golden Misery

A Chapter by Faith2993

Rydeir jumped off the Red Tower and landed in Annabeth’s small yard. He lowered himself below the kitchen windowsill, his back pressed against the wall and stayed motionless. He closed his eyes and concentrated all his energy on Veilling. It was a skill only Volkers possessed. Once they have mapped an area, they could use all their other senses to literally see what was happening there in real time. It was an out-of-body process where their mind could take a 3D tour around any chosen zone. They did not  necessarily need their sight but only a good deal of energy.


Because of the level of difficulty, not many Volkers mastered this skill, only the eldest and the  highly trained ones. It was a skill that with time was condemn to disappear. For instance, among the new generation, it was basically just Rydeir who could do it.


Totally immersed in the Veilling process, the latter became like a frozen statue. He was dead immobile and merely the occasional eye movements under his eyelids indicated that he was a living being. He astrally projected himself in the kitchen a few steps behind Annabeth. He could clearly hear what she was saying now.


« Thank you guys for giving me a hand around the house. I wouldn’t have been able to keep this place livable if it wasn’t for your help. » She sighed as she put away the last plate she’s been washing. « We are leaving tomorrow so you’ll be free to help another household if you want or you can come with us. We’re going back to our homeland guys and it would be a pleasure if you’d join us. »


She placed a small note next to the abnormally small bowls, took the black box that was delivered  to her earlier and made her way to leave the kitchen. She stopped at the doorframe, turned around and said to the emptiness: « Whatever decision you take, I hope that this is not a farewell gift. » She said softly alluding to the food she left on the table. With that being said, she turned off the light and headed upstairs. 


As the sound of her steps dwindled in the distance, Rydeir could hear little ones getting closer. The yellow glow was moving across the ceiling accompanied by muffled voices. There seemed be something into the ventilation pipe and whatever it was, it was approaching dangerously fast. 


When the ventilation grid slowly unscrewed, Rydeir felt a tension build up in his gut. He was cleat to Unveille and break through the window to launch an attack if need be. When the gird was lifted, he was more than surprised to see a minuscule pair of legs appear. 


« Careful Robust…Careful! » A high squeaky voice said. Rydeir deduced that the voice belonged to the owner of the now dangling legs.


« I am being careful Funky » A deep voice grunted annoyingly.  « If you could just hold still for a minute it would definitely be easier. »


« Ancient! You tell him to be careful…This is so high… I am going to die…That’s it I’m dying. » The  squeaky voice said dramatically.


‘What kind of names were that, Robust, Funky, Ancient?’ Rydeir thought.


A personage of small stature, holding for dear life on an old cloth rope, was laboriously being lowered from the ceiling. His clumsy gesticulation was causing the rope to swing from right to left, making the little being even more flurried.


He anxiously kept repeating « I have a bad feeling… I have a bad feeling… I have a bad… FEELING » The last word was bawled as he was swiped on the kitchen table. A series of laughter was heard, Robust having obviously shaken the rope sideways.


The little man furiously stood up on the table and pointing menacingly at the gap in the ceiling he blurted out « Robust! How dare you? »


A head peeked in the gap and apologetically said, « Sorry Funky, but this was taking way too much time. »


One after the other, a brigade of little men came down from the rope, all landing dexterously on the kitchen table. Ryder counted nine of them. They all looked very old with wrinkled faces and Rydeir immediately recognized them: « Brownies » he muttered to himself. Though he had never seen one, he has read a lot about them.


These benevolent creatures usually live in unoccupied parts of a house, preferably the attic. Avoiding interactions with anyone, they leave their hideouts at night to offer domestic help in exchange of small gifts. They only served meritorious people so Rydeir knew that Annabeth wasn’t    malevolent. Having a very touchy nature, they will abandon a house if , for any reason whatsoever, their gifts are called payments. 


The Brownies gathered around the food and soon enough, nine curly heads were bending over the edge of the bowls, curious to see what’s inside. Funky who had his two hands pasted on the honeypot, apparently has forgiven Robust for his previous poor maneuver because he eagerly asked: « Brothers, Mistress Annabeth has gifted us the honeypot. Quick Roby open it! »


Robust complied and they all relished on the porridge and honey. A blond little man who appeared to be the youngest, was sharing a bowl with Funky and caught sight of the note left by Annabeth.


He dropped his spoon and under the inquisitive gaze of Funky, unfolded the piece of paper. 


« Ancient come read this fast. I think Mistress left a note for us. » He said in haste. Rydeir remembered being told that younger Brownies were dyslexic, a disorder that was to vanish as they get older.


They all left their food and Ancient, the only one with grey hair, pulled his glasses out of his coat’s pocket and read the note.


« So? » The blond guy asked impatiently.


« As you know, Mistress Annabeth is leaving for Thetie tomorrow. She has left indications where to find her new house assuming we were to coming too. »


« Are we going too Ancient? » Robust inquired. There was a round of whispers before Ancient declared, « I think we should vote…Who wants to go with Mistress?»


They all looked at each other and unhesitatingly, nine little hands were raised.


« You are all aware that it is not wise to go back. Thetie is a dangerous place for our kind. Mistress Annabeth is good but not her ilk. » Ancient said with sternness. His experience of life has taught him not to trust the habitants of Thetie.


« Yes but we can’t leave Miss Caitriona especially now that she is unwell… She needs us. » said Funky in a small voice. He, along with his brothers have been discreetly looking after her since she was only a baby. When she was still a toddler, they always made sure that the house was danger-proof and that nothing was strewing over the floor that could make her trip or fall. Over the years, what started as a fondness for the girl turned into sheer loyalty. Though they couldn’t protect her like they used to, they helped by placing bottles of water around the house and moving her medication to wherever room she was, just in case she needed them.


Ancient knew what was in the black box and what fate awaited Caitriona. Filled with sorrow and compassion, he solemnly announced: « We will continue to serve our Mistresses in Thetie. We will leave right after them tomorrow. » Ancient folded the note and put it safely in the inner pocket of his coat.


« Now, let’s hurry… we still have a lot of work to do and the night won’t be waiting for us. » He said directing the others to their assigned tasks. They enthusiastically began to empty the shelves and roll all the jars down to the floor. The yellow gleam soon invaded the whole kitchen and Rydeir witnessed the surreal scene of the Brownies at work. Though each of them were assigned a different job, they cooperatively created a rhythmic and smooth workflow. As they became involved in the work chain, they individually started to emit a yellow light, leaving golden trails behind them as they move.


The contents of the jars were packed into small paper bags and arranged neatly into a cardboard box before the empty jars were rolled back up onto the shelves. In no time, the kitchen was tidied and all necessary items packed up for the departure of the house owners tomorrow. 


One by one, except for Funky who climbed on Robust’s back, the Brownies hoped on the cloth rope and made their way back to the attic. The only evidence of their presence in the kitchen was the slowly dissipating golden light.


Curious to know what the house owners were, Rydeir took the stairs in search of hints. Upstairs, he attentively looked around, analyzing every picture, every trinket, every furniture that could possibly give away their nature. The bedroom door of Caitriona was closed but her mother’s, which was opposite to hers, was open. Rydeir never misused his Veiling ability to violate the privacy of others. He was very pernickety about his self-imposed prohibitions so he did not override his rights and go in Annabeth’s bedroom. 


He was about to Unveille when he heard a sob. He approached Annabeth’s bedroom and furtively looked inside. He saw that she was sitting on the edge of the bed with the black box on her lap. A tear rolled down her cheek as she removed the cover. She lifted the silky black fabric that was on top and broke down crying when she saw what was inside the box. Rydeir froze when he realized what it was. His instincts have been dragging him back to Hallow Creek day after day for this   crucial moment. 


« Lions » Rydeir spat between his gritted teeth.


The inside of the box revealed a gold medal of the form of an impressive Lion’s head. During his years of service in the Legion, Rydeir rarely encountered Lions, they weren’t the kind of species to wander around Thetie. Volkers and Lions didn’t get along, not that Volkers got along with anyone,  but their aversion for Lions finds it’s source from the ongoing feud that started several generations ago. 


Lions were proud and highly sophisticated creatures who stayed on their lands under the command of their Mother Queen. They were as strong and fierce as Volkers and, being one of the three prime races, they were very redoubted in Thetie.  



Rydeir understood why he had such a hard time identifying Annabeth and her daughter’s nature, they were so different form the common Lions. Usually he would immediately detect a Lion by their distinguished air but Annabeth didn’t show the same standing as one would expect.


This gold medal was a sign that the kingship was preparing something major and that all Lions were being called back on the Land of lions. It was a medal that was only sent at the advent of an upcoming royal event.


Rydeir saw what had to be seen, so he Unveilled and, pulling his hood back up over his head, he disappeared into the night. 






© 2016 Faith2993


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good piece of writing again. More attention to detail this time. I am waiting to read what happens next.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
1 Review
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on August 26, 2016
Tags: Dark, Creatures, Mystery