Crazy old man

Crazy old man

A Chapter by Fictiontoescape

On the way home I bumped into Dritre and we were making our way home talking to each other about our days. Apparently a friend of Dritre's father was in the guard and retired and is now teaching Dritre and his friend to fight with the sword and shield.
"My arms are so sore after that training!" Dritre exclaimed dangling his arms loosely at his sides.
"I bet, did you have fun?" I asked
"Yeah, but enough about me. When are you and Delilah getting married?" He said teasing me.
I punched him in the arm and growled
"we're not."
He yelped and began rubbing his arm.
"I was just asking gosh. I thought she confessed her love for you at your picnic."
"How do you.." the picnic was the one thing I left out about my day because I knew he'd tease me over it.
"I have my ways." He said a with devilish grin on his face. I punched him his arm again and he yelped with pain and said
"Come on, I'm only teasing! A gate guard told Laill's dad about it and he told me to tease you over it."
I grunted in response and we kept walking. It was nearly dark now and most of the people were in their houses, save a few hooded figures and some guards on patrol. When suddenly a man spun me around and it was hard to tell what he looked like under the hood but from his voice and what I could see of his scraggly beard i could tell it was a man.
"What the-"
"Take this" he said shoving something into my hands. "You're the heir to our order and he's returned and he's going to destroy everyone."
Then before I could ask a question some guards were sprinting up the street toward us swords drawn.
"Hide it, keep it safe and guard it with your life!" Said the man as he drew his sword and ran off down the streets. The guards ran past us after him except for one guard who stopped in front of us and said.
"What did that man say to you?"
"He was just rambling about the destruction." I said only telling half the truth as I slid the item into my pocket.
"Sounds about right, he didn't give you anything did he?"
"No, sir."
"Alright then." Then he ran off in pursuit as well. I lied because whatever the item was I wanted to find out my self.
Looking dumbstruck my brother just burst out laughing and I did as well. That little encounter was so weird. Things like that never happened around here. We continued walking, it was dark now but we were almost home and we had a good excuse for being late.
"Why'd you lie to the guard though?" Dritre questioned "I saw that man give you something."
"Because whatever it is I want to find out for my self."
"Ah, well let me see it too."
"Alright come into my room tonight when we go to bed we'll find out what this thing really is."
We walked into the front door of the house to find mother and father in the kitchen sitting at the table. They had just started eating beans potatoes and beef strips when we walked in. Our plates were already made as they knew we'd make it and we sat down in our chairs and father looked up from his meal and said
"Cutting it a little close don't you guys think?"
"We would've been here sooner but we had the most bizarre encounter with a hooded old man being pursued by the guards."
Mother became interested at this point and said
"Oh my, he didn't try to hurt you did he?"
"No, mother we're fine." And Dritre and I recounted everything that happened except we left out the man giving me the item.
Father grunted "serves that crazy old fool right being chased by the guards. If he'd have tried to hurt my boys I'd have shaped his head like I shape iron." And with that he returned to his plate.
"Well I'm just glad you boys are ok!" Mother said taking up the dishes.
"Can we be excused?" Dritre said
"May we be excused." Mother said correcting him then "yes, you may. You've both had a long day go get some rest."
"Thanks, mother." We said together and we went started to leave when father said
"One of the bellows broke after you left Gael I'll need you to go into the market tomorrow and pick up a new one from Baudric."
"Yes, father." I replied the idea of not getting to work the forge the following day sucked but getting to go to Baudric's shop made up for it. I hurried up stairs to my room where Dritre was waiting for me.
"Let's see it!" He said excitedly.
"Alright let me get it" I replied as I fished it out of my pocket. When I got it out if my pocket I came to realize it was what looked like a little chest. With an insignia of a dragon over looking a kingdom carved into the wood.
"Woah," said Dritre examining it. "What do you thinks in it?"
"Only one way to find out" I answered and grabbed my knife from a drawer in my dresser. I began to pry at the crack in little chest. I wedged the knife in good and told Dritre to hold the chest still and put all my force into prying it open
SNAP! The knife broke in two and cut my hand along the palm. Blood started pouring from the wound and quickly I closed my hand into a tight fist and told Dritre to get me some cloth. He fetched some and I tied up my hand.
"It's a sturdy little chest." I said looking at my broken knife.
"Yeah maybe father could get it open."
"I'd rather not tell him until we know what it is."
Dritre nodded and said "I'm going to bed I'm beat. We'll see if we can get it open tomorrow." With that he strode off into his room.
I really wander what's in there. It could be anything, maybe it's the reason the guards were chasing him who knows. I walked over to my mirror and washed the days dirt off my face and looked at my self. My short brown hair looked oily. I'll need to take a bath in the river tomorrow. I thought. Then I studied the rest of my features I had a strong jaw line and full lips. My nose wasn't to big but it also wasn't to small the bridge of my nose was wide but short. I had light brown eyes almost gold in the sunlight or at least thats what Delilah told me. And she said my eyes we're the softest she's ever seen but I didn't see it. I rubbed my bushy eyebrows and stepped away from the mirror. I took my brown tunic off and stretched my muscular body and then I laid down in bed and closed my eyes.

I was looking at my plate mail covered hand holding the reins of my war horse. The armor was a dark crimson trimmed in gold. The sun was glistening off my glove and going in my eyes so I looked up and found my self at the head of a charging cavalry. My hand and a half sword was raised above my head but everything was silent. Then all of the sudden all the sounds came rushing in at once, all the war cries even my own ,all the horses galloping at once,and the waterfall rushing beside us. I looked around to see men of all shapes, sizes, and races riding next to me. Across from us another cavalry was charging toward us and at their lead was a well built man wearing what appeared to be solid gold plate mail trimmed in white gold. Seeing him made me feel enraged and I spurred my horse to go faster. The thundering horses clashed together with the sound of steel hitting steel, and men crying out in agony. The man in gold and I crashed into separate parts of each other's cavalry and we began fighting through horseman after horseman toward each other. Picking apart the other horseman with no more than a single swing of my sword I finally made my way to the man in gold and our deadly clash began. His first swing and mine was at each other's horses. With a single strike both horses fell and us riders lept off not wanting to be trapped underneath the horses. We landed on the ground one never taking eyes off the other. I drew my short sword from my right hip with my left hand and rested my hand and a half sword on my right shoulder, bent my knees and got into a fighting stance. The man in gold wielded his extravagant flamberge in two hands and got into his ready position as well. He charged at me and swung his mighty sword attempting to cleave off my head in a single strike. I ducked the sword and time seeming like it was slowed I went in for a counter stab with short sword. Which the man quickly saw and blocked with his cross guard. Thinking he was open to a leg attack I swung my long sword at his legs. The man quickly redirected his blade and parried the attack. He back stepped and raised his two handed sword for a powerful attack. I crossed my blades and readied to block. He brought down his sword with all his might and inches before our swords clashed my swords vanished and I started falling. Everything around me was black as pitch and then I hit the ground with a hard thud. I landed in the exact same place I was standing but the world was somehow different. The sky seemed to have turned gray. I could smell burning flesh and fresh blood and it was silent. Everything was totally quiet not even the waterfall dared make a noise. I looked around to see everything around me and what I saw was dead bodies of both sides littered the ground men and horses. Not a single soul was still alive but not only that the grass, the trees, and even the birds that were in the sky were strewn about dead. Then suddenly the man in gold was holding his blade to my neck. I reached for my swords but they were nowhere to be found. And he just started laughing a deep dark laughter that sent chills to my very bones. He brought his sword back to swing and then swung it toward me. It was a hair away from my face and....

I jumped up from my bed gasping for air. My dreams have always been really vivid and of combat like that but that... that was different.. and I've never lost in my dreams before, nor have I ever been thrown into a black pit. Maybe it's nothing.. but I should probably tell Delilah about it.
I peered out my window to see the sun was just rising and I knew it was a perfect time to practice. I quietly crept down stairs after dressing in a crimson tunic, grabbed some bread and cheese from the kitchen, and snuck out side. I went behind the house to a secret place I stashed things and pulled out my hand and half long sword and my short sword. Taking the short one in my left hand and long one in my right. I started practice fighting imaginary opponents. Parrying, blocking, and counter attacking dispatching my imaginary opponents with ease. Then
"You always were a natural with a blade but fighting with two swords with no training that's​ impressive, Son." Father said scaring me so much I dropped my short sword.
"Uh, I can explain the swords" I said picking up my blade.
"No need Gael I knew when you took them. You may not have known it but I made those for your 18th birthday.. which is today."
I completely forgot my own birthday was today.
I looked down at the blades and they seemed that much more special.
"Want to really try them out?" Father asked
"What do you mean?" I answered with a question.
Just then he pulled out a massive flamberge from the hollow of a tree and unsheathed it and took it in two hands.
"By sparring with me." He said charging at me. I barely had time to put up my guard before he slammed down with the huge blade. Even though the blade was extremely heavy father handled like it was light as a feather. He reared the sword back and brought down again but mid swing he redirected and swung at my side I adjusted my guard and stuck the tip of the long sword in the dirt to brace the blow. The mighty​ flamberge hit the flexible blade of the long sword and bounced off. I shot a stab at father's right knee with the short sword but he parried the stab with his flamberges extra long hilt, and he took a back step and smiled.
Father was darker skinned unlike me Dritre and mother. He had a peppered beard and skin bald head. You couldn't see much of his jaw line but you could tell it was strong and chiseled and he had high cheek bones. "Let's continue." He said and we sparred for another few hours until I couldn't hold either sword up any longer.
"Along with you're time at the forge learning the family craft you'll meet me out here every morning to duel. A man should be able to protect his family."
"Yes, sir" I replied not letting my excitement show through.
"Now put those up I need you to go fetch the new bellows."
I put them up as he said but instead of hiding them I found two sections of wall in my room for hanging the swords on, and i put them there. I ran back down stairs to get the gold from father. He gave me what I needed and a little extra "for my birthday." he said. I thanked him and gave mother a kiss on the cheek and before I left asked "where's Dritre?"
"He left already. Said if you wanted to find him he'd be at Laill's."
"Alright thanks bye." I replied as I was running out the door. I put a hand on my pocket and felt that the little chest was still in there. As I got to the end of the street I looked up to see where the sun was at. It seemed to be around noon and that meant I was going to have a hard time getting through the bustling streets. Suddenly a pair of soft hands covered my eyes and a familiar female voice said "guess who?"
"A cut throat assassin?" I guessed jokingly.
"If I were you'd be dead." Delilah said laughing. I turned around quickly and picked her up in my arms squeezing her and spinning around.
"Oh would I now?" She started squirming and hitting me on the back.
"Put me down Gael!" She protested. Laughing I set her down and she hit me hard in the chest crossed her arms and turned away with a "humpf"
"I was only playing. I'm sorry" I said looking down at the ground.
"You're so gullible." She said turning back and smiling. "But anyway what're you doing?"
"I have to go fetch some bellows from Baudric's"
"Oh okay, well come by my house when you're free" she said with a shrug as she strode off toward her house. She was gone before I could say anything so I continued on toward Baudric's.
On the way there I passed through the market and in the town square the man from yesterday was in the stocks covered in tomato and cabbage. Almost as if he sensed me walking by he looked up and mouthed "Do you have it?" I nodded and looked away but I could feel his eyes looking at me as I walked away. I went down an alley way and I ended up out side an eccentric looking shop away from the rest of the market. the front was very decorated with carvings of creatures from legends and myths and painted the all colors of the rainbow and maybe some colors that weren't even on the rainbow. The windows to the shop were stained glass that made out a picture of a Knight fighting a fire breathing dragon, and there was a sign that hung above the door that read "Baudric's Eccentric Wares"
I pushed open the door that had a very strange door knob in the shape of a hawk. As it opened beautiful chimes rang out. I always loved coming into Baudric's store.
"-the order. One moment I have a customer." I overheard from the back.
"Ah, Gael I've missed you. It's been so long since you've visited!"
"I know, sorry Baudric I've been busy."
"I bet, I've heard you started working in the forge with Garren."
"Yep, just started yesterday. And today Father started sparring with me."
"Did he figure out you took those swords?"
"Yes, but he says he made them for my 18th birthday anyways."
"Ah, that's right it is your 18th birthday isn't it?" He said looking off into the distance for a moment. I was looking at him and he seemed older than usual his graying beard turned white and his gaunt face seemed even more so. He looked like he had aged a few years in the couple of weeks we hadn't​ seen each other. His skin was tight around his out poking low cheekbones and his narrow jaw. His cheeks seemed to seep in and lips were thinner than usual and down turned into a near frown.
He refocused on me and said "So, is Garren still as good with a blade as he used to be?"
"I don't know how good he used to be, but he's amazing."
"Your father is the best swordsman in all of New Parun. I guarantee it." He said with a twinkle in his eye. ",But down to business. What brings you to my shop?"
"Father said you'd have some bellows for him?"
"Ah yes I've been saving a pair just for him." He said as he went to fetch them.
"Here they are. One set of bellows for you."
We exchanged gold for the bellows and then Baudric said
"Gael, wait there for a moment if you would."
"Yes, but wh-"
"No buts just wait" then he hurried into the back of his shop and I heard ruckus and things falling then the shatter of glass and a curse. Not a moment later Baudric appeared from the back holding a little whistle.
"Here's my gift to you Gael." He said showing me the item. It's was a little metal whitsle with a chain to go around the neck. "Its a special whistle that when blown will summon forth a Griffin from the old tales." He went to hand it to me but pulled back and said "but you must only blow it when you are in mortal danger or else it won't work." Then he handed it to me. I dont believe in the old tales but it's a gift from Baudric and that's what matters. I put the necklace on and said "How's it look?" Letting Baudric look at me.
A smile swept across his face and he said "Ridiculous!" And burst out laughing. I tucked it into my tunic then thought about the little chest. If I can trust anyone it's Baudric. I reach down into my pocket and fished out the little chest and laid it on his counter and said
"What's this Baudric?"
He looked down and his smile went away. He rubbed a finger over the insignia and without looking up said "Where did you get this?"
"I found it." I lied.
He gave me the most serious look I've ever seen and said sternly.
"Don't lie to me Gael."
"The man in the stocks shoved it in my arms and told me to guard it with my life. Why what do you know about it?"
"Have you shown anyone else this box?"
"Only Dritre why?"
"Don't show anyone else. Not even Delilah."
"Baudric will you please tell me what's​ going on?"
"No, I'll do better. I'll show you. I have been waiting for this day for a long time Gael. I should've known it would fall to you."
"What are you talking about Baudric?"
"Grab the box and follow me."
I grabbed the box and followed Baudric to the back. I saw what I heard break earlier it appeared to be a crystal ball. Baudric must've noticed me looking at it because he said
"Don't worry that one was just a fake."
A fake? Did that mean he had a real crystal ball? What is going on here it sounds like stories from the old tales. We stopped in front of a wardrobe that Baudric opened motioned for me to follow and walked in to. I stepped past the Dusty coats hanging up in the wardrobe with a couple sneezes and bless yous from Baudric and stepped into what looked like the stairs of a dungeon.


© 2017 Fictiontoescape


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

134 Views
Added on June 17, 2017
Last Updated on June 17, 2017