The Dragon Insignia

The Dragon Insignia

A Chapter by Fictiontoescape

"What is this place?" I asked.
"You'll know soon enough." As he took a torch from the wall and seemed​ to have lit it with just I motion from his hand.
"Was that magic Baudric!?" I said almost yelling.
"Just follow me Gael, and stop asking questions you'll know everything soon enough!"
I did as he said and followed him down the winding stairs. Almost five minutes past by before we made it to the bottom. We ended up in front of a large stone door that had the same insignia engraved in it that that box did. Baudric put his hand in the center of the insignia and then gears started tumbling the ring around the insignia started to glow blue and the door slowly slid open. With another gesture of his hand torches lit all through out the room. Placing the torch in his had in a wall scone he walked in to room. I stepped in after and my jaw dropped at the enormity of the circular room. From floor to ceiling it stood at least 200 feet tall with different balconies going all the way up. Four extremely wide pillars went from the floor to the ceiling and many little supports held up the balconies. As far as I could tell the entire room was made of gray bricks aside from the balconies which were made of wood but stained a deep mahogany color. Bookshelves lined each wall all the way to the ceiling. The bookshelves were completely full each and every space had a book in it and there were desks scattered amongst the room and on the balconies with even more books piled on top.
"It would take a hundred lifetimes to read all the books in the room." Baudric said proudly.
I just nodded and continued examining​ the room. We were standing on stone but there were four stairwells that led down to the lowest area of the room. Unlike the other staircases these lead to the center of the room while the others were in the center of the balcony floors.
"What is the place?" I said awestruck.
"We call this particular room The Library. But this building is called The Citadel. These are our sanctuaries. There were 11 nearly identical to this one built, but unfortunately this amongst a few others are the only ones still usable."
So many questions were popping in my head I didn't know what to ask or say. After struggling to figure out what to say all I said was
"We? Who is we?"
"We who look over the kingdoms, we who look over the lands, and we who look over the seas. We, Gael is The Order of The Dragon. We used to keep peace in the world and we were praised by most and feared by all."
"The Order of The Dragon? I've never heard of them. And no one I know ever has either. People that great would be talked about wouldn't they?"
"You'll find all that out soon enough Gael follow me."
Baudric led me down the stairs in front of us to the lowest floor and to a podium with the biggest book I've ever seen on it. It was as big as Father's biggest anvil and probably weighed just as much. Baudric noticed me eying it and said
"A complete history of our order and all we've done as well as the history of the lands we've protected for all these years as well." He walked over to the book and heaved it open. I peered at the dusty pages but they were blank. Not a single word or letter was on any of the pages, but Baudric was seemingly reading the page using his finger to follow invisible lines.
"It's all blank Baudric. There's nothing in the book?"
"Ah, yes that. It'll become clear soon enough." He closed the book and such a loud noises it sounded like thunder rumbling. He gestured for me to follow and we opened an old iron reinforced wooden door that led to a long hallway with another door at the end. We began walking and our footsteps sounded as loud as war horses galloping on solid stone. The hall amplified the sound and echoed it making it sound like we were a group of 10 and not 2. Once we got to the other door Baudric put his hand on the door knob and said
"Whatever you do, don't scream. Loud noises anger him."
"Anger who?"
Baudric just smiled, opened the door, and continued in. I followed behind him and immediately I noticed we were in an enormous natural cave that dwarfed the first room we were in. I looked up to see a slight bit of sunlight at the top of the cavern an opening. It was so far away I couldn't tell how large. I could hear heavy wind being inhaled and exhaled. I quickly examined the room looking for what was breathing so slowly but strongly. Due to the low light I couldn't hardly see a few feet in front of me.
"Hold on one moment" Baudric said.
With another gesture hundreds if not thousands of torches lit immediately showing the true enormity if the room. The cavern went out at least 10 miles straight across and went up at least a mile and a half slowly peaking at the top where the opening was. Right then I realized where we were. We were inside the mountain to the South of New Parun. The mountain stood alone and was the largest mountain in sight. The fact that it was by itself is the reason it was named The Lonely King. I looked around the rest of the cave and there it was. The creature that was heaving it's breath in and out with slow but strong gusts of wind. If I didn't know better Id think a living mountain was slumbering in front of me. Then all if the sudden some part began to move on the creature and I found my self looking into a massive red eye several times bigger than I was. The eye was focused on me. I noticed Baudric kneel and bow his head. With out thinking I did the same. Then without warning the entire mountain seemed to rumble and the creature gave out a low rumbling chuckle that sounded of thunder. A voice emanated from the creature and fill the room.
"You humble me Baudric. Stand I shan't have my caretaker bowing before me." Then he, and yes it was unmistakably a he, repeated something in a language I had never heard before but the word seemed to ring in my ears. Baudric stood but I stayed kneeled before the peering eye.
"You stand as well boy I'll not have the heir to my order kneeling." The voice emanated again.
I stood and looked into the giant red eye and it looked back studying me. Then he drew a deep breath and seemed to sigh a long sorrowful sigh.
Then further down from the eye more of his body began to move. I thought he was standing up but he turned out to just be yawning. Opening his massive jaws each fang was pearly white which contrasted his black scales and each was as wide as an oak's trunk and his purple tongue lifted like a whale tail from the ocean, and then the yawn subsided hiding his fangs.
"So, why have you brought him here Baudric?" Asked the creature.
"My Lord he knows nothing of our order the spell cast prevents him from reading The Tome of History."
As he said that the creature's eyes blinked a seemingly slow blink and then he replied
"Very well I'll show him."
The creature began to stir and it wasn't until he stood that I truly could understand how big he really was. As he stood he stretched his wings and the span was so great I couldn't determine how big they really were. Then seeing the entire creature before me I couldn't believe my eyes. I was staring at a creature right from the old tales. I was staring at a dragon. I looked up the creature's long neck to his head and he bent down bringing the very top of his snout within an inch from my face. His breathe going in and out of his nose was hot as a forge. Then he ever so gently touched my forehead with the tip of his snout.
A bright light flashed before my eyes and then all sorts of memories and knowledge began to pour into my head barely having time to examine one before another took it's place. It seemed like hours this went on until finally my vision just went black.
I opened my eyes and I appeared to be floating above a stone square compromised of smaller stone squares. At least 80 people occupied it. They were in some type of training. All were wearing matching uniforms a following their instructors directions.
"Assume your stance!", And they all got into some sort of combat stance that I had never seen before. "Focus your energy, NOW!" The woman yelled. The students faces became stern and then all of the sudden each and every student was in a unique suit of armor Of all different colors. Before I had time to get a closer look one by one the suits of armor began to fade off the students. Each student who's armor faded was left panting and exhausted. They were all faded away except for two students who were standing next to each other. Each struggling and trembling but neither letting their armor fade. The instructor noticed these two a strode over to them watching without saying a word. After about 1 more minute their armor faded simultaneously. And the two doubled over gasping for air. It was a young man and young woman who had lasted so long.
"Now, that is what I want to see. Heart. You need to find your inner strength and call upon it and when it starts burn you push past it, and that is where your true strength resides. Once you break past that barrier it should look like this." And without seeing her move so much as a muscle with a bright flash of light the instructor summoned her armor. It was platnium in color and the shoulders were there shape of a wolves heads and the chest piece looked almost furry with what appeared to be real fur. And her helmet was also in the shape of a wolves head. She spoke again
"And you should be able to sustain your armor with ease. Even if the battle rages on for a full week!" And then her armor faded away.
"Now assume your positions."
Then I floated off to a different place. I was looking at A man and woman wearing full suits of the unique armor. The male was brownish gold colored metal and the helm was in the shape of a Lion with a fluffy red mane flowing from the back of the helm and around the neck. The woman was wearing armor of a similar color but in the shape of a lioness. The man's helm faded away revealing a bearded man with whose hair was red as blood like the color of the man his helm bore, he had a strong jaw and piercing eyes the color steel. He was looking right at me and he spoke.
"Why did you betray us Suntoex? You were my best friend!"
A low chuckle that sent shivers to my very bones came from behind me. I turned to see another man alone wearing his own unique set of armor. It was solid black with a cobra head for the left shoulder and a goat head for the right. His armor took the appearance of scales and his helm was also that of a lion's head, but the difference was instead of a mane his helm had spikes starting from the brow of the lion going down back. And then the man had a wicked looking scorpion stinger emerging from the back of his armor and resting above his head like it was ready to strike at any moment. It also seemed to move left to right as if it was alive.
"Betray you? I merely sought out what was rightfully mine!" He said with a hint of anger in his voice.
"You were not chosen Suntoex, I was. You have betrayed the order. And you've betrayed me. You shall pay for all the wrong you've done!" Then with that the man's helm reappeared and and the roar of a mighty lion erupted from him. His hand grew massive claws and he charged the man in the black armor with the speed much like a real lion's. He lept at him and then the image faded away and a new one appeared. The same bearded man sat helm faded and holding a small woman in his arms. He was weeping and the woman didn't seem to be breathing and she bore no armor only a tight tunic bearing the Order's insignia.
"I thought you were going to make me pay Stoic?" Suntoex said mocking the man.
"I'm not finished yet." Said Stoic laying the woman down gently.
"I'll avenge you my blossom, your death won't be in vain a swear." Then he repeated something in another language I hadn't heard before. He faced the man and looked him dead in the eyes.
"You will pay I swear it Suntoex. Right now." Stoic's helm reappeared and he said a phrase in the same language he used before.
"YOU WOULDN'T DARE STOIC!"
"It's already done." He said in almost a whisper and beams of light started erupting from his armor until his entire body shown like the sun.
"NOOOO" Yelled Sontoex being cut off by the light flashing even brighter for a second then the area they were in vanished and a perfect half sphere had been cut into the ground they were standing on.


© 2017 Fictiontoescape


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on June 17, 2017
Last Updated on June 17, 2017