Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Minyonka
"

Standard disclaimer applies

"

Crista was sitting on the front steps of her house, Luca and Carmella seated on either side of her. Marco was standing a few feet away with Jozu, Vista, Emile and Hotaru a ways behind him. Luca draped an arm over Crista's shoulder, but she only pushed him away and stood up.

 

"Perché (Why)?" she murmured. "Non capisco. Ho creduto che lui mi amava (I don't understand. I thought he loved me)."

 

"Crista," Marco began. The young woman shook her head and tried to rub the tears from her eyes.

 

"No… I'm fine, really." Marco watched the tears continue to fall and he sighed. Crista was still so easy to read.

 

"You're a bad liar."

 

"I'm not-"

 

"Crista."

 

"I will be, I promise." She glanced at the charred grass only ten feet in front of her home. That blackened patch of earth was the only thing left of Angelo. Marco's men had disposed of the body before Crista had arrived with Hotaru from the ship. Marco hadn't wanted her to see the gruesome remains of the man she'd called 'brother' all her life. Marco watched her gaze harden at the burnt grass.

 

"Fury doesn't suit you," he said, snapping her attention back to him. Her eyes softened instantly and she wiped her tears away again.

 

"I just can't believe he was only using me all these years. Is it wrong if I say I'm happy you did what you did?"

 

Marco chuckled. "Not at all."

 

"But it still hurts."

 

"That's to be expected," Luca offered supportively. "Angelo has always been a part of your life." Crista nodded slowly and turned to offer the young man a weak smile. Crickets chirped in the moonlight during the moment of silence. Dawn would be arriving soon.

 

"You're going to be leaving soon, aren't you, Fratello?" Crista asked as she turned back to Marco. He nodded slowly.

 

"Unless you still need me here," he answered and Crista shook her head with a gentle smile.

 

"No. Domani, lo so che mi passo il confine (No. Tomorrow, I know I'll pass through the confines. Could be read as: I'll get through this)."

 

Marco glanced at the charred earth he'd created. "Con un p�™ di fortuna, ti puoi dimenticare (With a little luck, you can forget)."

 

"Non voglio dimenticare, ma… dove sar�™ domai (I don't want to forget, but... where will I be tomorrow)?"

 

"Ogni vita che salviamo, ogni pietra che poggiamo, fa pensare a domani, ma possiamo farlo solo oggi (Every life that we save, every stone that we place, it makes us think of tomorrow, but we only have today)," Marco answered.

 

Crsita chuckled. "È comico. Siamo sempre diversi, ma siamo sempre gli stessi. Non siamo cosi soli (It's funny. We're always different, but we're always the same. We're not so alone)."

 

"Siamo sulla stessa barca (We're in the same boat)."

 

"Sì," Crista murmured. "La mia vita nuova commincia domani (Yes. My new life begins tomorrow)."

 

The sun began to peek over the horizon and the small group outside Crista's home turned to face it. The warm rays illuminated their faces, brining the promise of a new day.

 

"Domani è già qui (Tomorrow is already here)," Marco answered. Crista turned and wrapped her arms around Marco's neck.

 

"Grazie mille. Ti amo, Marco (Thank you so much. I love you, Marco)."

 

"Anch'io (Love you too)."

 

As the Moby Dick II began sailing away, Marco stood at the stern and watched as Crista, Luca and Carmella waved from the beach. He smiled at the sight of Crista yelling out goodbyes that were mostly lost to the crashing of the waves. Luca stood close to her with an arm wrapped around her as he waved at the ship. Marco heard footsteps on the wooden deck nearing him, followed by a feminine chuckle.

 

"I think they're going to miss you," Hotaru said as she leaned over the rail and waved to the people on the beach. Marco glanced at the young woman wrapped in bandages and wondered briefly when she'd be healed.

 

"I know," he answered.

 

"You know, we still have the Eternal Pose to the island, whenever you want to go back."

 

"That won't be for a while."

 

"Maybe, but the option's still there, Nii-san. So, are you ready to take your place as our captain?"

 

"If memory serves, wars have broken out on the islands Oyaji controlled."

 

Hotaru laughed. "Looks like your memories have fully returned."

 

"Tell the men we're charting a course to each island Oyaji controlled. We're taking them all back," Marco answered, his tone firm.

 

Hotaru smirked. "Aye, aye, Captain. I'm glad you're home again."

 

She began walking away, using the rail of the ship as her crutch and ignoring Marco when he told her to rest up. He shook his head slowly and stared out at Lacrime as it drifted away, thinking of Hotaru's statement.

 

"Only half home," Marco murmured and turned away. It was time to embrace his role as captain and begin another chapter of his life.



© 2011 Minyonka


Author's Note

Minyonka
To those who actually read this, I thank you, and I would like to ask for any comments you may have on this piece of work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on June 13, 2011
Last Updated on June 13, 2011


Author

Minyonka
Minyonka

About
About myself: I'm an nineteen-year-old college student with the intention of becoming a high school math teacher. Why math teacher, you wonder. I want to become a teacher because I have learned that I.. more..

Writing
Sunburn Sunburn

A Story by Minyonka