Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Forgotten
"

Thomas explains his story

"

Prologue


Speech in italics are either Thomas explaining his story or people speaking in Elvish.

 

“No please!” Sayela cried out, her eyes were flowing with tears. A cold wind accompanied them adjusting the atmosphere accordingly. Thomas clenched the grubby wooden handle of his sawn off shotgun furiously. Sayela remained on her knees holding her hands to her face, her tears leaked from the gaps of her fingers. She sobbed loudly.

“Just shut up” Thomas muttered through his teeth gritting them as he did so.

“Thomas please look at me!” Sayela spoke struggling through her words. Thomas scowled still refusing to face her; he clenched his other fist struggling to remain calm. “Thomas please!”

“I said shut the hell up!” Thomas bellowed loudly tear droplets rained from his face falling to the moist soil below. Sayela’s eyes widened to the shock of his anger, she shook slightly in fear of him.

“Thomas?” she spoke concernedly.

“How could you? How could you do this to me” Thomas began to stream tears his grip loosened up from his shotgun.

“I’m…sorry” Thomas choked and applied his grip once more.

“Your-your sorry?” Thomas turned his head slightly to look at her, his eyes heated with rage. Sayela’s eyes widened once more.

“I-I-I” she stuttered fumbling her thumbs.

“I nothing!” he bellowed and spun to look straight at her, he glared into her eyes viciously. “You turned me from my kind!”

“Those people are not your kind!” she shouted angrily.

“They we’re more my kind than you are” Sayela retreated backwards slightly hurt by his comment.    

“They accepted me!” he looked sadly to the ground, “Which is more than I can say for my family” Sayela softened her expression.

“Thomas? I?” she started.

“No, I don’t want your pity” Thomas gripped his gun and began to shake. “I can’t return to the forest, I can’t return to the town. I’m a traitor by all means of my name. I have nothing…” Thomas scowled and raised his gun pointing it straight at Sayela’s head, “And it’s your entire fault, everything is your damn fault!” Sayela trembled fearfully and tears welled up in her eyes.

“No…” she choked, “No please Thomas!” she sobbed loudly and grasped hold of Thomas’s leg. He struck her hand with his shotgun knocking him off her.

“Don’t you dare touch me you filthy creature!” Thomas pressed his foot to her chest and resumed to point his gun at her face.

“Thomas stop, please spare me I beg of you!” she cried out, tears wetted her face and spilled from her eyes. Thomas let out a single tear but shook it away, he shook violently. He couldn’t pin an emotion to this yet gathered it was negative.

“How can you ask me to spare you so freely? You have taken my whole life away from me, so why shouldn’t you sacrifice yours in turn?”

“Thomas…” she coughed,

“Why the hell should I spare you!” he bellowed at her.

 

Those seven words would haunt me for the rest of my life, yet the next four would scar my heart for an eternity. My life had been ripped out from under me; I was so stupid to trust someone to finally open up to someone…so stupid. I’m Thomas Drebble, you won’t have heard of me because I am but a nobody, I am the dirt you scrape form the bottom of your boots. I am nothing but a spawn of the earth placed only to be hated by the world around me. To understand me and my story we need to go back 11 years to the night this all started.

 

A murky aura filled the night, a young Thomas at the age of 15 sat at his window looking out into the horizon, the amber glow still remained in the distance, the fire of the sky his tribe would call it. Thomas lived in the forest belonging to the tribe of Swaylers, an Elven race that dated back generations before him. He looked down to the ground to spot a lone jackal passing through the undergrowth. It was rare to see them in the forest yet more common since the humans began to hunt them for meat out in the desert. Thomas sighed enjoying the sight of the amber sunset, yet felt odd not wearing his necklace his father had given him. It was a dream catcher, crafted from the durable wood of the gurtus tree and feathers hung from it. Thomas felt around his neck where the necklace would usually be, his face dropped as a hint of sadness rushed into his body. He moved away from his window and sat at the end of his bed. He began to think about the time his father gave him the necklace, it was his 13th birthday, and it was a symbol that he had finally become a man. A noise suddenly caught his attention, the sound of the front door swinging open and shut quickly aroused his attention. He peered out of his door to see his brother Arion rush past his door to his bedroom, he seemed out of breath and worried about something, Arion always seemed to be spontaneous this way recently so he thought not to question it anymore. Arion was the older adopted son. His father brought him into the family after his mother was killed by a group of human hunters looking for the thrill of killing. Thomas shook his head, he was concerned for his brother as he always seemed troubled, he always believed it must have been to do with his past but thought it insensitive to ask. He looked back to his window to see the sunset, but it had gone, only darkness now filled the sky. He frowned and shut his door, it creaked shut. Thomas sighed and led down on his bed and began to stare at the ceiling until he heard a commotion. A blood curling scream echoed outside, Thomas jumped out of bed quickly and ran through to the living room to look out the window. A young elvish woman was running out of the council hall in fear.

The king is dead, the King is dead!” she kept repeating, Thomas choked, his body shook and tears began to well up in his eyes.

“Father?” Thomas swung open the front door and darted out along bridge connecting all the houses together. He rushed past the houses eventually reaching the Council hall, inside was a large oval table, the floor was carpeted in dyed red fur and wooden pillars circled the room. A pair of guards stood behind the table, one was checking the pulse of the old man lying on the floor a stone dagger was found embedded in the back of his head. Thomas stood in horror at the door, his body shook and tears ran from his eyes. “Father?”  The guard standing looked over to Thomas with a saddened look. The opposite guard stood and whispered in the others ear holding something within his hand. He passed it over and the other inspected it.

Excuse me, Thomas isn’t it?” Thomas nodded nervously, “Does this object look familiar to you?”  The guard held out his hand to reveal a dreamcatcher necklace. Thomas gasped and took it from him.

“Yes sir, it-its…” Thomas stuttered.

“Come on spit it out lad” the guard demanded.

“It’s mine sir, I lost it a few days ago” The guard adjusted his face to show a stern look.

“I see” he guard looked over to the other, they mumbled quietly between there selves. Thomas watched looking back and forth between the two guards as the spoke. The guard finally nodded.

“Thomas, you are found prime suspect to the death of your father, you must come with us at once” Thomas breath got caught in his throat, he backed away to the door slowly shaking in fear. 

“But…but…I didn’t do it” he muttered quietly.

“What was that?”  The guard asked.

“I said I didn’t do it!” he blurted out loudly tears running down his face, the guard approached him, Thomas stepped back again closer to the door.

“Don’t try anything stupid now, just come with us quietly” Thomas’s expression hardened and anger grew apparent on his face.

“No, I did not do this…I’m not coming with you!”  Thomas spun around and darted out the door the guard chased him through. All around locals looked out their windows at the ruckus a few peered out their doors looking down the bridges.

“Stop criminal!” The guard shouted at Thomas, he ignored him and the pursuit continued. A local stepped out of his house to see Thomas running towards him.

“Quickly citizen, apprehend him!”  The young man stepped out onto the bridge and got a tight grasp onto Thomas’s wrists and pulled him back pinning him to the floor.

“No! No! Let go of me, I’m innocent, innocent!”  Thomas struggled yet could not muster the strength to fight him off.  The guards finally caught up and tied his hands together restricting him.

“Come on you vile scum!”  The guard yelled and dragged him away.

 

I was kept in a holding cell for five days, no food, and no water no nothing. The guards would beat me every day, asking question of which I had no reply. “Why did you do it?” was the most common of all of them. It almost seemed as if they were just trying to force a confession from me considering they had no other leads. My brother never visited once, nor my mother as if they were ashamed of me. The day finally came, the day that my fate would be decided by the village elders. They stood me in front of the entire village; my mother would not even look at me.

 

“Thomas, you have been found guilty by the judging of our elders, your sentence?”

 

I remember the moment, everyone held their breaths, and they all judged me, each and every one of them, some for the good…but many for the bad. My mother looked at me for one second, her face was filled with tears, I was nothing but a disappointment to her now, my brother? He was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Exiled!”

 

The crowd gasped, booed, cheered. Everyone had their views but my mother? My mother just left without laying another look upon me .I was forced to leave immediately, stones were thrown at me and abuse was flung. This part of my life was over now, the future was unclear and I was left alone. 



© 2012 Forgotten


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I quickly skimmed through it lol, I'm in class, and im being sneaky, so ill have to read it in more depth later where i wont get in trouble. but it looks good. ;P ill give a better review later. xD

Posted 11 Years Ago


this is a little lengthy for my stated parameters, but i grandfathered you in because of who requested i read it....some engaging characters and a compelling style combine to make for very good story telling here..i all fairness to you , though, i must agree with john on the minor errors which need to be corrected. those are quick, easy fixes though, and don't detract from the overall feel of this piece. well done....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Forgotten

11 Years Ago

Thank you for you review quinn :) I guess I have our Noodle to thank later then :P Yeah I wrote this.. read more
Hi J-P the tale is engaging but many errors broke up any fluency Of the read. I have outlined some observations below. there are also a lack of punctuation in places:

gaps of her fingers. Gaps between her fingers.

In the passage below he cries and after Sayela speaks with concern he begins to stream tears.
“I said shut the hell up!” Thomas bellowed loudly tear droplets rained from his face falling to the moist soil below. Sayela’s eyes widened to the shock of his anger, she shook slightly in fear of him.
“Thomas?” she spoke concernedly.
“How could you? How could you do this to me” Thomas began to stream tears his grip loosened up from his shotgun.

This next quote was confusing as it seems Thomas said it but it must have been Sayela?
“I’m…sorry” Thomas choked and applied his grip once more.

He struck her hand with his shotgun knocking him off her-Knocking her off him surely?

and resumed to point his gun at her face-Resumed pointing the gun at her face?

the sound of the front door swinging open and shut quickly aroused his attention-shutting quickly

Thomas sighed and led down on his bed-laid down on his bed


Thomas swung open the front door and darted out along bridge-along the bridge


they mumbled quietly between there selves-between themselves



Posted 11 Years Ago


Forgotten

11 Years Ago

Thank you for this amazing review! I will get to work fixing those mistakes very soon :) I'm glad yo.. read more
John Alexander McFadyen

11 Years Ago

It is good J-P!
Great start

Posted 11 Years Ago


Forgotten

11 Years Ago

Thank you! :)
Lover Of Words

11 Years Ago

Your very welcome!!!!!
A very good prologue. Was a long and very detail one. I like the characters and the storyline. I like the situation and the actions of the characters in this opening of the story. I hope to read more. You have my attention. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote




Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 11, 2012
Last Updated on April 12, 2012
Tags: Prologue


Author

Forgotten
Forgotten

Gloucestershire, Stroud, United Kingdom



About
My real name is John-Paul Crawford, I do voluntary work at Stroud FM and hopefully after my training will be allowed my own slot on air. Writing takes up most of my time, I'm always trying to better m.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..