Camdens Happy place

Camdens Happy place

A Story by world gone mad

 Camden please come down to the dining room. Dinner is ready”

Hello, my name is Camden Marie White. I live in New York, which is a big place

for a first time visitor. However, for my mom and I, its home sweet home.

“Coming mom,” I yelled from my room. My mom Olivia and my dad William divorced

when I was six years old. It was very hard for my mom, but worse for me. All my friends at my school have moms and dads. But I only have my mom. I ran down stairs and found my mom at the table with a glass of whiskey in her hands.

“I thought you said you were going to stop drinking?” I asked her.

“Hey, it helps me relax.”

“So take out again?” I asked. We always have take out every night because mom can’t cook to save her life.

“How was work mom?” I asked.

“Great as usual,” she said sarcastically. My mom is a bank clerk at Hampton bank. She hates her job because she thinks she isn’t paid very well.

“Mom my birthday is this Thursday.”

“How old are you turning again?”

“You mean you lost track. Maybe from all that whiskey you’ve been drinking.”

“Well maybe if you tell me I can remember.”

“I’m turning thirteen,” I told her. My mom took a drink from her glass then looked at me

“So what do you want to do for your birthday?”

“I don’t really know as long as it’s not a surprise birthday party then I don’t care.”  I really hate surprises. Some would say it’s because of my parents divorce. It was a big blow to my ego. After dinner was finished and plates were clean, I went up to my room to do some math homework.

“Train A is heading to station C and train B is heading to station S. how far apart would they be in an hour?” I asked myself. Then I heard a big crash from down stairs and my mom screaming at somebody to be more careful.

“God d****t Jason would you please be more careful and watch where your going. Camden is asleep.” I didn’t tell her I was doing my homework. But who was this Jason she was yelling at.

“Sorry,” said the boy named Jason. It sounded like a boy voice.

“Why are you here by yourself where are your parents?” I carefully tiptoed down the stairs, looked around the corner of the hall, and saw my mom talking to a boy about ten. He had hair the color of hay and he was as skinny as a stick He was about the height of four foot five.

“They went out to dinner,” Jason said.

“Have you had any thing to eat?” asked my mom.

“I had a pop tart if you could count that as anything.”

“Would you like to have some pizza? It’s left over from tonight.”

“Um...” but it was too late for him to answer. I saw my mom go to the cabinet and get a plate and gave him a slice of pepperoni pizza.

“Eat up!”

“Thank you Ms.White.”

“Please, call me Olivia.” How did my mom know this boy? I didn’t even see him until tonight.

“How is Camden doing?” he said as he took a bite out of the pizza.

“She is doing a lot better since William and I divorced.” 

“How old is she?”

“Twelve.” Then a knock came on the door.

“Who could that be? And at this time of night!” It was 10:00pm according to the wall clock. Mom walked to the door and opened it up.

“Hello madam. We are from the police department. Could you please come with us for some questioning?”

“What! Why?” asked my mom in horror. My eyes grew wide every second that they took to convince my mom to come with them.

“Jason, go and tell Camden I went shopping for a while.”

“OK,” Jason said in an anxious tone. He turned around and made his way to the hall as I turned and ran up the stairs. I hurried to get to bed and just pulled the covers over my head when the door opened.

Camden, time to wake up.” Jason said in a hushed voice. I pretended to not know this boy and answered with a groggy tone.

“I don’t want to mom.”

“I’m not your mom,” he answered in a hurried tone. “Now please wake up!”

“Who are you?” I asked.

 “That’s not important; what’s important right now is that your mom was taken by the police!” I tried to sound as surprised as I could on the spare of the moment.

“WHAT!” I yelled. I took an acting class for a month so I knew how to act surprised.

“Calm down. She’s going to be ok.”
”What are we going to do?!” I pretended to cry even though I was really scared

© 2010 world gone mad


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on May 25, 2010
Last Updated on May 25, 2010

Author

world gone mad
world gone mad

johnson , VT



About
I love to write! its always been my dream to get one of my stories published and this website might help me to become a better writer so that dream can come true. more..

Writing