This Silly Pen

This Silly Pen

A Poem by Fran Marie

This Silly Pen

 

I tried to write a poem today
but this silly pen had nothing to say
Attempting prose to no avail,
Then a rhyme, only to fail

My, oh my, What's a poet to do?
When the mind's out of ink,and the pen is too.
Not as prolific as others I know
This poet's pen is flowing so slow

Needing thoughts and words on how I feel
Hiding a few and some to reveal.
Adding rhythm with a tone so sweet.
This pen perchance make a poem complete.

Perhaps more coffee shall make me think,
and feed this crazy pen some caffeine for ink,
So I'll try another cup.
But this darn pen's not giving up!

Oh woe is me, cannot write a line
I'll just have to try some other time
Perhaps tomorrow I'll have plenty to say.
But for now This Silly Pen won't play. 

© 2008 Fran Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

But ironically the pen allowed a poem to be written about not being able to write about anything..!
An amusing and very accessible poem that deals with a universal and perpetually topical problem that all writers must at some time face. I've always found it funny that when people write about not being able think of something to write, they almost always feel compelled to write something about not being able to write about anything... Thus writing their own paradoxical poem on the subject...!!
The only problem with writing about writing is that it only appeals to other writers... So this is the best place for such a piece of work. It is always reassuring to know that other writers share the same difficulties as the rest of us (no matter how prolific they may seem).. despite the fact that it is inevitably common knowledge..!
What is most funny about this poem is that it blames the pen (as a metaphor for the muse) instead of the mind.. which brings a certain domestic homeliness to the writing. And it is written with charm and wit, appealing sister-like to its readers. A comforting poem, ironically.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love it! It looks at writer's block in a playful almost childlike way, and by so doing takes some of the fear out of it. I wouldn't change a word.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sounds like the pen gave it up pretty well despite! Well Done!

~Frances~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

All writers go through it, not so many just brush it off as a silly pen. I wish I took it so lightly. :)
"When the mind's out of ink,and the pen is too." -- Loved this line, just nothing is working good today.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good poem Fran the frustraions of writing eh. But what joy when ink and thoughts a spirits engage and the final result is words on a page
well done

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh, this is so cute!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cute poem...I know the feelings you express here all to well at times. Great job.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love your poem Fran. Writing is like that sometimes, eh? The pen is dry. I wrote an article about writer's block, but this poem really brings it home...with a terrific result. I'm going to save this in my library to read again...after another cup of coffee!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was just fantastic!
A writers' block happens to me all the time and I attempted to write about it like you did, but my pen was extra stubborn I guess :D
Superb Rhyming and very very well written!


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1496 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 16, 2008

Author

  Fran Marie
Fran Marie

Paris, KY



About
object width="480" height="385"> more..

Writing
Noel Noel

A Poem by Fran Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..