Meeting Alice

Meeting Alice

A Chapter by Katrina Crago.
"

This is an intro chapter.

"

            Alice Walker

When I was younger, all I ever wanted to do was play music. I wanted to make people smile and cheer at the sound of my voice. Sometimes, though, things don’t go the way you want them to. Unless of course, you’re me.

My name is Alice Walker, haven’t heard of me? Well I’m only the biggest super-star on the planet! Well maybe not yet, but soon. A while back, I applied to a school in England called Willington Academy for the gifted; even if you’re gifted in academics, sports, music, or even culinary arts you can apply for a scholarship. They’re picky though, very picky, a very little percent of people come from different countries and even then they barley graduate. I’m not giving up though! Why you ask? I’m Alice Camille Walker, That’s why!


           People refer to me as bold, courageous, and kind. All right so that’s what I consider myself, people call me loud, annoying, and stubborn as f**k, but I swear that’ll all change as soon as I get into Willington! Notice how I didn’t say ‘if’ I said it because there are no ‘ifs’ I want to get in, so I am going to get in! As the daughter of a general in the military, I should know what persistence is!


          “Alice! Come on, we have to get going to the doctors!” Geez mom, I’m trying to have a decent conversation with myself. My mom’s pregnant did I mention that? No? Well she is. I’m going to be a big sister, I’m so excited, I- I so excited! If you didn’t get the reference, you’re one luck son of a b***h. I sighed as I got off my bed and put on the closest shoes and jacket I could fine, well that would match my outfit. As I ran downstairs I forgot my pants we’re to long, so I wound up tripping down the stairs. When my body finally hit the ground, I looked up at my mom who was just frowning at me with disappointment and began to laugh as I made my way up and brushed myself off. I looked around the room and something caught my eye. A large golden envelope to be exact, I walked slowly towards it and stared at it for a bit and noticed the name.

         Willington Academy, that’s what it said in bright silver letters across the envelope. From the corner of my eye I saw my mom smile as I slowly ripped it open, I read the letter as slowly as I possibly could.

Dear Ms. Walker,


 We are happy to say that you would, in fact, make an excellent addition to our music program here at Willington. We are prepared to offer you a full scholarship, complete with room and board. We hope to see you this September.
                                                                                        Congratulations,

Willington Academy Staff.

I looked up from my letter, mouth agape. My mother looked at me with pitying eyes.

“Oh honey, I’m so sorry.” I she said asked as she brought me into a hug. My own mother thought I wasn’t going to make it. How supportive. I quickly broke away and started jumping around the room. My mother attempted to calm me down.

           “I got in!” I continuously scream as I ran around the room, my mother looking at me in shock until she began to cry. I stopped my celebrating and stared at her as she cried. Why was she crying? Wasn’t she happy that I got in? I slowly made my way towards my mom.

           “Mom, are you alright?” I asked as she began to level out her breathing. She looked at me through her cupped hands and sniffed.
“Yeah, I’m fine it’s just, well, with the baby coming and your father out overseas, it’ll be lonely.” And here comes the guilt. How could I leave my poor pregnant mother here alone to fend for herself? I sighed.

            “Mom, if you don’t want me to go I won’t I mean…” She put a hand up in front of my face, which was a signal to get me to stop talking. She sighed.
“Let’s talk about this later, okay honey?” I sighed in defeat as she left to go to the car. I took one last look at the letter and slipped it into my pocket. I was going to that school. No matter what. 



© 2012 Katrina Crago.


Author's Note

Katrina Crago.
Alright, this is the first chapter of my book, Sometimes Dreams do Come True, enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry Sophie meant to click the thumbs up.
Stupi iPod xP

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really liked this! I love her personality, I can't wait for more :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012
Tags: intro chapter


Author

Katrina Crago.
Katrina Crago.

Des Plains, IL



About
Any who, I write poetry mostly and they are either angsty or fluffy. Mostly angsty. I'm pretty nice and unless you're a racist or homophobe we won't have any problems :DDDDD FYI, figured I'd le.. more..

Writing
Scars Scars

A Poem by Katrina Crago.


Why Why

A Poem by Katrina Crago.