Chapter 1: Awakening

Chapter 1: Awakening

A Chapter by Douglas Levi Gribbins
"

As Stephanie awakes from hibernation after the Eclipse crashes into Desolation, she recounts her memories to check for data loss.

"
> System boot initiated. . .

> System boot successful.

> Voice Recognition online.

> Facial Recognition online.

> Attempting to calibrate sensors. . .

> Sensors calibrated.

> Detecting. . .

> Hello, Captain James.

"Activate recovery mode immediately."

> Recovery Mode Enabled.

"Do you know who you are?"

> I apologize, I am having difficulty accessing my memory.

"Let me have a look at your construct, it could have been damaged in the crash."

> One moment, Captain.

> I am the Military Logistics Artificial Intelligence construct. Tag S.T.E.P.H.A.N.I.E. Assigned to the UEA Frigate "Eclipse".

> How may I help you, Captain James?

"Alright, good, can you tell us where we are?"

> Certainly, Captain. We are on Desolation, a previous EIW (Earth Industries Worldwide) Mining colony that was forgotten about after the end of the conflict known as The Immortal Rebellion.

"Excellent, it seems you're not too damaged, can you access your full memory?"

> I can, Captain.

"Play the logs you currently have so I can check for corruption."

> Certainly.

> Accessing internal data logs.

> Destination: The Immortal Project.

> Summary 

> The Immortal Project was an experiment created and funded by the United Earth Government during the Unification War, a war that unified all of the nations of Earth as a result of the success of this project.
> Immortals are volunteers from the public or military personnel that are given injections that were, at the time, extremely experimental. One in four of the 250 subjects survived the injections, due to the amount of deaths involved in the process, the UEG hid the project from the public, and send grievance letters to the families of those who passed on.
> The 65 that survived were reportedly given extreme mental and physical training, subjects showed increased brain speed, muscle growth, eyesight, bone strength, and increased reaction time.
> As the training went on, weapons developers at UEG developed the MARK I Immortal Armor, equipped with Marsite, an experimental metal found on Mars that is extremely resilient and heavy, customization outfits with the various amounts of weapon modules, letting all Immortals be unique, a healing unit, jet and booster packs, and finally a self-sustaining energy source so it's battery is nearly limitless.
> After two years of training and testing the suits, the first 65 Immortals were deployed into enemy territory in teams of five with a near 100% success rate, one team refusing to carry out a mission to destroy a town to hurt the enemy.
> An entire year passed and the war was nearly over, with the Dictator of the Federation being cornered into southwest Egypt, where "Immortal One" team was tasked to go and end the war, 009 "Sharktooth" dealt the final blow, with a blade through his chest.
> The Immortals were seen as heroes to most of the public after the end of the war, and all of them stayed in the military and with their assigned teams. 

> Captain, one of those teams happens to be assigned to this ship, am I correct?

"No, Stephanie, you're doing fine, you're recovering fine, just get some rest to take time to heal while the engineers further check you for damage."

> Entering Sleep mode.
 


© 2016 Douglas Levi Gribbins


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

THIS IS SO GOOD!! The imagination, creative style of revealing the story, the system's detached eloquent narration. Two suggestions
"....just get some rest to take time to heal while the engineers further check you for damage."
-may flows better as "just get some rest and take your time to heal while the engineers check you further for damage." and,
".... bone strength, and increased reaction time." -perhaps you mean decreased reaction time to imply faster reaction.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Douglas Levi Gribbins

6 Years Ago

Next chapter coming very soon!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 7, 2016
Last Updated on November 7, 2016