A letter to papa

A letter to papa

A Story by Gaurav

Alisha got married to her childhood friend Nitin. They had a destination wedding in one of famous hotel chains in Goa. Everybody had arrived except her father who was against the marriage. Nitin, as per her father, was a man of contradictions. Marrying him would mean living a life of lies and cold hugs. Alisha fought. She knew Nitin. He would never do anything to hurt her.
A year after marriage, she wrote a letter to her father. -
"Dear papa. Hope you are doing well. My sincere apologies for not contacting you in the past one year. But trust me, not a single day passed without remembering you. I had brought with me guitar, several books (especially my favorites 1984, war and peace, crime and punishment, gunahon ka devta), dream catcher, many beautiful cards and all those things that you had given me on different occasions - most of those simply on whims. During nights, most nights, when Nitin is done maligning my body and soul, through rape, abuse and other sadistic measures, and my tears are soaked, i walk towards the corner of my room and look at your precious gifts. And i cry in happiness. My life is not very difficult nowadays because i have gotten used to it. My life was difficult in the beginning when i started living with him. He didn't wait for honeymoon to get over. I still remember that night. Using his physical power, anger, hatred (all of these originated from somewhere else - his job, boss, traffic, co workers, bad music, all kind of pollution), he ignored my existence and treated me as the culprit of it all. He needed one reason and that came in the form of a slight high amount of salt in food. He kicked me and i fell on the bed. After that, he took out his belt and red lines started to appear on my naked body. These turned black in a day but the pain remained for a month. My in-laws gave me hugs, treated me gently when i told them about it. Papa, it took a large dose of strength to tell them about what happened. For my in laws, Nitin is an ideal guy who can never do any wrong. But they believed me when i showed them my back. They took me to the doctor. On the way back, my mother-in-law requested me to not tell it to anyone, not even you. But they talked to Nitin about it. He couldn't believe it. For him, it was an act of treachery. How could i share my bedroom phenomenon with anyone? That night, he raped me for the first time. And since then, he has raped me day and night, whenever he wanted. 
Dear papa. You were always right. I always believed you. But why couldn't i believe you about Nitin? But was it my fault? How could i know that he was a monster? 
But we all should do right things. Right papa? And to do righteous act, one has to be strong and let go of all fears. Papa, i have killed the monster. He is dead. His body lays in front of me. I don't regret it papa because i have done the right act. It feels calm here. It feels as if i am free. My soul is proud of me. And i am smiling for the first time in the last one year. I want to come to you and hug you papa. I want to feel the pure hug. Your angel is smiling papa like you always wanted."

© 2018 Gaurav


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a heart-breaking story. That really rips you apart inside. she was married to a brute and she tried to make it work. By focusing on her father's wishes and could not take it any more. And killed him. This really shows you what humans can do and tolerate and do for others. Just to make them happy before their very own self.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

I know. People have the ability to tolerate but once it pains their soul, it forces them to take act.. read more
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

I do agree.


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

The story is heartfelt just very touching, She went through pain of rape but killing is a crime... She should have told her dad and her family what she was going through, maybe there would have been a better solution to that than her killing a rapist husband! The police would be after her though





Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Yes that could be one of the solutions..thank you
this is a touching and well written story,,sad but good

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading the work :)
 wordman

5 Years Ago

my pleasure
This is such a heart-breaking story. That really rips you apart inside. she was married to a brute and she tried to make it work. By focusing on her father's wishes and could not take it any more. And killed him. This really shows you what humans can do and tolerate and do for others. Just to make them happy before their very own self.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gaurav

5 Years Ago

I know. People have the ability to tolerate but once it pains their soul, it forces them to take act.. read more
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

I do agree.
A sad story and one hopes everything turns out OK.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Thank you for sweet words Augustus..let's be hopeful for the world :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
¿
Now, what I really like bout your story is realism in it.... (even if tis imaginary )

It does confuse that how to define monster who's well veiled in human avatar...and what's the trick to know his real figure before we hand ourselves to him....
Tis not an irritating story as you said....it's just that you penned what's mostly seen and done....
Thanks for letting me access to it and for sharing, Take care :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

Ohh thank you Tahsin for reading it and giving your views. Really appreciate it :)
¿

5 Years Ago

You're heartedly welcome Gaurav! :)
I do not know if the end was justified or not. Her actions proved her to be a monster too so what was the difference between her and Nitin?
To be honest, I did not like the ending, she must have not killed him I understand her situation too but simply leaving Nitin would be a better option for her.
Overall the story is strong and emotional, very raw and honest. Great job done to bring out the realisations of the protagonist.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gaurav

5 Years Ago

It was just a casual approach towards the end. I didnt really think a lot about it. But that is what.. read more
Najam Us Saher

5 Years Ago

Okay, I understand the reasons that you thought would be good as an end.
I am happy that you.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

583 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 27, 2018
Last Updated on August 27, 2018

Author

Gaurav
Gaurav

New Delhi, India



About
a believer in hope and a seeker of knowledge, i want to devote this life to literature, music and self-discovery. more..

Writing
Unreal Unreal

A Poem by Gaurav


Sun and son Sun and son

A Poem by Gaurav



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..