The Empty-coffered Purser

The Empty-coffered Purser

A Poem by Devons
"

from an image born

"

Only a word, and blurred, and backward

White on black and vice versa

A hair-line crack, all split, and fractured

A tainted Dame - all doomed to curse her:

PEACE: the empty-coffered purser.

© 2010 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The last line nailed this one into perfection for me! A great peice crafted for the challenge.

Wolfie

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very neatly done.

But the "ecaep" bit confused me?


Posted 13 Years Ago


This has to be the best short poem I've ever read! Definitely fav'ed!

Posted 13 Years Ago


yes, this shows the meaning of all that is life.
again.
i swear..your like, all powerful and magic......
*bows* :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


So sad to read and know ... it is true..
broken, cracked, empty.. wonderful job!
It is sad though as peace means so much to me and all of us .. most of us i should say.. nice poem for the image born..

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting. I agree with Truly, you chose very poignant words for such a short poem which makes it feel like you read something much longer and deeper than it is. I have a couple different thoughts on the meaning becuase I think it can be taken literally (or somewhat literally as you didn't come out and give us a "plot") or more metaphorically. But I like poems that can be interpreted that way, that aren't tied down.

Posted 13 Years Ago


so he keeps the accounts, especially on the vessel, I understand this poem politically, when I read a poem, I try not to read the explanation. I like the wording, such an intellectual adventure, I need to dig into it, this is fun. I liked the line - a hair-line crack, all split, and fractured, a tainted Dame - all doomed to curse her... this is such a strong sequence of images. Humanity is heading to catastrophe, it's obvious, but they always said this. And when did it stop being truth? So we think, the human domination is going to continue indefinitely and the science fiction projections of super cities (the trouble is, nobody has ever explained where they get their energy from, their fresh water from). Maybe people will recycle water and will learn live on bloody sea weeds but how many people can you feed on sea weed? Won’t they get pissed off and demand beef and chicken? Well God doesn’t know more than we do.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You say so much in so few words. Love the rhyming of alternating lines. The last line, just...wow.

So...Peace is holding nothing; empty handed...thus, immaterial; inconsequential.
Look around the world. It would seem so, would it not?

So deep. Fantastic.

~True


Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! Blown away! Awesome work! xx

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

439 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 20, 2010
Last Updated on May 25, 2010

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Maelstrom The Maelstrom

A Poem by Devons


Lolita Lolita

A Poem by Devons