The meaning of life

The meaning of life

A Chapter by Geneva
"

A chapter of thoughts of what i've observed over the years

"
You never truly know where life is going to take you. One day your whole idea on life is set, and the next you’re struggling to make ends meet. The reality of it all is that we are not in control. From the moment we were in the womb, our entire life was planned for us. We’re just here for the ride. You may argue, bring up the fact that “we are in control” and “we make our own decisions” but in the break down, we are all just beings waiting for the bang of life to end and spend the rest of eternity in Heaven or Hell. Whether or not you believe in it or not, that’s the reality of our lives. From a young age, we are all taught how to be a person, how to function with respect and responsibility. Counting down the moments until we die. Celebrating each year of our lives on this earth like we have something waiting for us. Every single year. When we were kids, it was easy. Can’t wait to be 12, at 12 you earn more freedom. Dying to become a teenager, because teenagers “make their own rules”.  But once the major birthdays start hitting, life just goes too fast. You turn 16 and get your driver’s license, turn 18 and get a tattoo and an AR. then the last birthday that truly matters...21. You can finally legally drink, you can carry a handgun, you can check into a hotel room by yourself...you’re free. Free from the expectations of teenage life. Free from your family and hopefully, you have your life in order. By that, I mean have a job, maybe a family of your own. Be able to thrive in this thing we call life. Some days it may seem difficult, hard to cope with what’s going on in the world, but can you blame anyone? No one wants to hear that they’re dying, but being raised on the firm foundation that one day, no matter what you do to try and stop it, you will die. In a way, it helps you mature faster, helps you to enjoy the little things. But it also makes you think, this is your one and only life? Why are you wasting it at school or working your life away while your loved ones watch you slowly die? Don’t get me wrong, school and education is very important, i’ve just been very fortunate that I was raised in the area I was. An area where Trades are valued, a place where I only have to go to school 3 days a week, and on the other days I get to go to work, get to build my career. I got lucky. But the truth is, not everyone does. Especially once you have kids. Do you want your kids memory of you to be that you were always working? Jobs, careers, they’re important, they keep us afloat as a society. But if you have always known that you are going to die, you tend to be a little reckless. What’s the point in working 9-5 if at 6 you might die? No one knows when our time is up, but it’s undeniable, it is coming, and it will be faster than any of us have expected. So what are you going to do up until those last days? Avoiding someone out of fear, fearing that the person you like won’t like you back? Staying quiet when you see someone being mistreated? Not say anything when you’ve been overlooked for a promotion, again, just because you’re afraid to be fired. I encourage you, each and everyone of you, dare I say challenge you to live like there’s no tomorrow. Remind those you love that you love them, fight for those who need protection, stand against the norm for something you believe in. Live your life a quarter mile at a time, live with no regrets. Live EVERY day, like it’s your last. Cause it just might be.


© 2020 Geneva


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

At first I was taken by your "about me" young adults are good at writing depressing stuff. It is true the fact that to some, depression is like a good stripe and seemingly something so cool these days than being happy and content with life. And certainly, each to their own, some days I wonder or make comparison with the idea of depression, what makes one depress? - I was homeless once, I never saw a therapist when it comes down to being in 2 massacres and escaped war at 16 and never seen the face of my families and friends again, came out to my full blown catholic parents that Im into girls, then oh then went homeless for a while, yet still, I look at those who claim to be depress when they have a place to stay, not going through any scars in life, not wounded even by a small thorn of flower yet wear depression like it's a way of life. I chuckle really, I am 37, I wrote 7 to 8 books of poetry about suicide, about the grief, losses, about broken heart, home, abuse / can you imagine? back about 10 years ago is not like today -- I mean school ah alas how depressing, oh but some of us despite being all that we nailed school -- was there bills to pay? run out food to worry? struggle to get a job? be in that note of depression list? nah ah! so, yeah I am more so ranting, I am sorry which I don't mean it however, I often speaks the truth. And really, this is morally spot on! And I applaud you for it! The thing is I said to my current love of my life, our children shouldnt have to suffer, but oh no, if they dont then they will end up up thinking depression is a social class to fit in instead of knowing what it means is actually suffering to the soul, heart, mind, body & spirit --
- Cheers
Dolly
& thank you for this

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
1 Review
Added on February 1, 2020
Last Updated on February 1, 2020


Author

Geneva
Geneva

Stevens , PA



About
Young adult, usually good at writing depressing stuff more..

Writing
Refresh Refresh

A Story by Geneva