Dead City

Dead City

A Chapter by Geodan
"

She woke up

"
She woke up in a cluttered room. She was laying in the corner, slumped over, and covered in dust. Her eyes opened, and she tried to stand. Her joints weren't rusty, but they were stiff. Fingers twitching, she looked at her wrist.
0
Zero. It was inked unto her plating and slightly faded. Who had put it there, she didn't know. She couldn't remember anything from before she woke up.
The room was new to her. She scanned the room, and determined that there was little oxygen. It was a good thing she didn't need oxygen. There wasn't any left. Surrounding Zero was an assortment of metal scraps and tinkerings. Across from her was a broken window. She slowly walked over to it and got used to moving. Her hydraulics hummed with every step.
Outside of the window, there was silence. It was creepy. The crumbling buildings showed no signs of life, and the world was empty. The only sound was the wind. It was a dead city. What had happened?


© 2018 Geodan


Author's Note

Geodan
This is my first time writing anything post-apocalyptic so reviews are appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well done for actually starting the story in an active and interesting way rather than making me read massive chunks of exposition. now I'm not going to waste your time with compliments i'm sure you know what you did right so here we go.

I'm was really confused by the changes between first and third person perspectives mid paragraph. are there two characters or just zero? if there are then you need to explain who the other one is.

Also i think you can be more descriptive and technical in your descriptions of movement to really cement the fact that zero is a robot and draw the reader into the scene by for example saying "scanning the air zero noticed it was low on oxygen" or "her rusty hydraulics strained after decades of idleness".

Hope this helped and keep up the good work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Geodan

6 Years Ago

Thank you! I really needed constructive criticism. Could you tell me which sentences switched pov? I.. read more
Jack Harrow

6 Years Ago

In the second chapter you say: "Zero looked around the wasteland around me" and "allowing me to clim.. read more
Geodan

6 Years Ago

Thank you. I forgot to look at the second chapter. I accidentally wrote the second one in 1st person.. read more
Really love how you hinted that she was a robot, but never said it directly. The suspense of the apocalypse is compelling. Keep it up!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Geodan

6 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 10, 2017
Last Updated on January 15, 2018


Author

Geodan
Geodan

Amarillo , TX



Writing
Stirrings Stirrings

A Chapter by Geodan


01/19/2017 01/19/2017

A Poem by Geodan