Happiness

Happiness

A Story by Gina

It’s a choice. It’s a lifestyle. It’s a lifesaver. It’s a skill. You might be full of it or you might be drained of it. It will help you get through the day, the weeks, the months and the years to come. Today, I’m going to talk about happiness. The definition of happiness is a mental state of positive emotions but I think, there is so much more to it than that.


Happiness is part of a series of emotions. The main emotions are sadness, anger, fear and happiness. Fifty percent of happiness is genetically determined. Ten percent is based on life circumstances and events.  Forty percent is based on yourself; which means that almost half of your happiness depends on you. You need to maintain the right attitude and put in effort. Happiness helps with having better self control and being more positive. It can help you accomplish things that you work really hard for.


There are many neurochemicals that factor in happiness. Some of the most common neurochemicals are dopamine, oxytocin, adrenaline and serotonin. Dopamine, is the “reward molecule” because when you use something that you enjoy like your phone, dopamine is released into your brain. Adrenaline is the “energy seeking molecule” because it is released when you do something exciting that you wouldn’t normally do. Serotonin is the “confidence molecule” because it is important for our self esteem. People with mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and OCD, usually have to take prescription medicine to increase their serotonin levels. The hippocampus is the area in our brains that is responsible for our happiness and positive memories.


There are so many things that can affect our happiness. There are six main habits that happy people tend to do. The first one is having strong relationships with family and friends. The second one is doing acts of kindness out of generosity. The third one is exercising because it shows that you care and have respect for your health. The fourth one is participating and practicing your favourite hobbies. The fifth one is having spiritual engagement. That doesn’t necessarily mean having religion but it more-so means connecting with yourself and nature. The sixth one is having optimism, which means having hope for the future.


There are also many interesting and captivating facts about happiness. Did you know that the international day of happiness is on March 20th? The songs you listen to reflect or can affect your mood. The weather can influence happy feelings and many suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder which is mainly due to the lack of light. Joy is contagious and if you are with a close friend who is happy, you are likely to be happier by fifteen percent. There are approximately 18 different smiles and the happiest kids in the world are from Mexico followed by Spain, then Brazil. Happy people also tend to be luckier because they imagine that things could have gone worse.


In conclusion, many people think that happiness is an emotional finish line to life but it isn’t. Happiness is a process that can be very long for some people and it is a resource. I think that people should be happy not because everything in their life is good but because they have the ability to see good in everything.

© 2017 Gina


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Another piece which is rammed full of facts which I have to admit even I didn't know a lot of the, But what this shows is that you have gone to lengths to show the reader that you are not just good at your word craft but you back that craft up with a solid foundations of facts. Facts of which you go on to talk about which such fluidity and flow to it, it feels like a physics lesson but with added flare and excitement to it.
Your talent as a writer is so good and you know how to capture the readers attention by your attention to details and also the way in which you structure the piece, which always makes for pleasant reading when something is propely laid out.
Another solid piece and I gained some new information from which was a bonus.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gina

7 Years Ago

Thank you again for all your reviews and your support! You are very helpful Mark.

Alw.. read more



Reviews

I'm generally happy person, but unfortunately, misery loves company, meaning miserable people stomp out a happy person's happiness. : / Thank you for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Gina

7 Years Ago

Yes I completely agree. I am not a very happy person but I decided to write about happiness, just be.. read more
Another piece which is rammed full of facts which I have to admit even I didn't know a lot of the, But what this shows is that you have gone to lengths to show the reader that you are not just good at your word craft but you back that craft up with a solid foundations of facts. Facts of which you go on to talk about which such fluidity and flow to it, it feels like a physics lesson but with added flare and excitement to it.
Your talent as a writer is so good and you know how to capture the readers attention by your attention to details and also the way in which you structure the piece, which always makes for pleasant reading when something is propely laid out.
Another solid piece and I gained some new information from which was a bonus.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gina

7 Years Ago

Thank you again for all your reviews and your support! You are very helpful Mark.

Alw.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2017

Author

Gina
Gina

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



Writing
How I Found You How I Found You

A Poem by Gina



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smile Smile

A Poem by Angel_Rose1979


The Evil The Evil

A Poem by Taz