Chapter 1-Coming To America

Chapter 1-Coming To America

A Chapter by Roslyn Beth
"

Maggie is on the plane to America.

"
  Maggie got on the airplane with an eager face. Ever since she was a kid she heard stories about America but never dreamed of going there. Maggie's whole village was jealous that she got to go to the United States. Maggie had saved every penny she got. Her destination was California. California was a place of fame and fortune. Maggie bought a house in Los Angelas. The plane took off and Maggie got scared. Living in a poor village she had never been of an airplane. The passenger beside her smiled at her. "Hey sweet thang."The man said. Maggie couldn't understand him but he had a smirk on his face. A lady came up to them with a smile.
  "Ar mhaith leat deoch?"She asked. Maggie understood this. It meant would you like a drink. Maggie nodded happy that one person would understand her. The lady stalked off. The man looked back at Maggie.
  "You understood her?"He asked. Maggie tilted her head in confusion. The man sighed. Maggie closed her eyes in frustration. She knew she should've learned English before she came here. Her mom sometimes spoke English to her dad because he was from America and barely new Irish. Her sister knew a couple words too but a couple isn't a language. The lady came back with a red whine. She gave it to Maggie. Being from Ireland her family were heavy drinkers. They even owned the family pub. The pub was very popular in their village. Maggie drank some of her drink. It wasn't as good as the pub's family beer. Now that was some good Irish drinken'. Maggie closed her eyes and fell asleep. 
  Her dreams were of when she was five and she went to a festival. It was on St. Patrick's Day. Maggie and her sister Bree were running down the streets with streamers and silly string. They were spraying it over grown-ups. The adults just laughed and continued with their mingling. Bree jumped on their dad's back and her laughed like anyone else. He walked into the pub to see his wife. His wife was a fat red haired lady but was a supermodel to him. Maggie tugged on her mom's apron just for the fun of it.



Maggie woke up to see passengers leaving. She got up with her purse and walked out the airplane. Maggie took in a deep breath of the California air. Ireland smelt like beer and parties but it was home. Maggie walked very confused. Where was she suppose to go? Then a lady with a young baby came up to her. "Miss do you need help?"She asked.
  "An bhfuil Gaeilge agat?"Maggie asked. It meant do you speak Irish. The women tilted her head and sighed. The lady knew though she needed to go to baggage claim. She lead Maggie to baggage claim.
  "Now when you see your bag go get it."She said pointing at the claim. Maggie understood what she was saying. Then a purple bag came up and Maggie swiftly grabbed it. The lady nodded and got out a piece of parchment . "Write down where you are going."She said making a house with her hands and pencil. She gave Maggie the paper and pencil. Maggie wrote down:
11189 Cone Shell Place
Los Angelas,California.
The lady knew where to find a cab and took Maggie there. She gave the parchment to the driver. "Take her there. She doesn't speak English."The lady walked away and waved. Maggie waved back. The driver took off. Maggie looked in her bag till she saw her cell phone. She dialed her mom's number.
  "Mam Tá mé i gCalifornia."Maggie said. Mom I'm in California.
  "Great leanbh. Bhuel tá mé ag dul. Love tú." Great baby. Well I have to go. Love you.
  "Slán. Love agat!" Bye. Love you! Then Maggie hung up. She would miss her mom. The car stopped and Maggie payed the man and got out. The place was bright. This was where Maggie would become a citizen and learn English. 


© 2010 Roslyn Beth


Author's Note

Roslyn Beth
Did you like it? If you were confused during the phone call the words in italics were what she said in English.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on June 3, 2010
Last Updated on June 3, 2010


Author

Roslyn Beth
Roslyn Beth

Nashville, TN



About
Guten Tag! That means good day in German. I speak a little German and Italian but not a lot. My favorite band is Augustana and my favorite singer is Avril Lavigne. My favorite color is purple and my .. more..

Writing