The beginning

The beginning

A Story by joshsmitty19
"

The start of the apocalypse brings nothing but bad new for Daniel.

"

 “There wasn’t a warning of any sort. It just sort of happened y’know? Like one minute things are fine, I’m going to visit my niece at preschool. The next minute Earth is fighting a war with the dead. And they aren’t losing.”

It all started, for Daniel at any rate, on a Tuesday afternoon after work. He and his long-time friend Trey were just getting off work.

“I hate that place bro, I’m going to quit”

Daniel tries to ignore him, but Trey was never one to be ignored. “Like seriously though dude, what kind of f*****g place tells me to take it easy? ME? I’m done, quitting, you won’t see me back at that place.”

“A call centre would tell you to take it easy Trey” Daniel lets out his first laugh of the week “On that note I heard you have to be a people person to get a job at a place like that, so how did you get hired?” Second laugh of the week. “Either way, you have been saying you were going to quit for three years now. Give it a rest for my soul atleast would you?”

Trey gives Daniel the coldest, dead look he has ever seen up to date. Trey stares at the 34-35 year old tanned man. His luscious blonde hair and “actor style” smile make it hard for Trey to stay mad. “Any plans for the night, dick?”

“Yeah Trey actually I do. Going to go pick up little queen Tracy and take her for ice-cream or something. Let me guess for you, going to get drunk and debate on ACTUALLY quitting your job? Or, are you still just talking out of your a*s?” Third laugh for Daniel.

“Your blonde hair makes you look like a girl. F**k you Dani-“

“Oh bus is here! Let’s put a pin in this conversation.” The two men board the bus. First thing Daniel notices is it is far more packed then he has ever seen. He tries to fight his way to the back of the bus but is stopped, when a gentleman of the Latino variety, pushes him to stand beside the door. Daniel looks up to Trey flashing his tongue out a couple rows down, and just like that the bus takes off.

The first couple moments on the bus were okay. Daniel did his normal routine of using his green i-pod nano, using his “bus playlist”. Currently playing ‘Walking on Sunshine’. He sees Trey fall to the ground, before everything goes haywire. The next few moments are very foggy for Daniel. All at once the passengers on the bus start losing it, like a mosh-pit at a rock concert. It isn’t until the Latin man knocks against Daniel, which amazingly slams him even closer to the door, that Daniel gets worried. The man knocked his headphone out. Up until this point Daniel was half-excusing the commotion as a rival gang war, but now that he could hear again he realizes things are much worse. He hears screams, these horrific high pitched sounds you’d hear out of an old television or computer, a sound that just isn’t human. No more walking on sunshine. Daniel is very thankful for the wall of people between him and what seems to be the center of commotion, the spot where Trey was standing. There are two things that won’t get out of Daniel’s head right now. One �" Is Trey alright? And two �" that horrific screech, now coming from more and more directions by the minute. Oh please, let this bus stop he prays. After a few more agonizing moments the bus stops and the doors open, making Daniel fall hard onto the concrete. Everybody tries to get through the door at the same time, and the end result is like jamming a brick through a funnel. Before Daniel can even get to his feet a body falls on top of him, Trey’s body. Trey opens his eyes. “Daniel?” His voice sounds shaky “Daniel we have to go”

“Oh my god, Trey, your arm it’s … it’s bleeding, and bad.”

“Some drunken f****r… Daniel we got to go, something ain’t right here. We have to get Tracy”

That awful noise is still going, now mixed with pedestrians on the street.

“I recognize this place, were not too far from Tracy! Only a couple of blocks, let’s go Trey.”

“Little did I know, that was going to be the longest couple of blocks of my life... The plan was to go get Tracy, than go to a hospital for Trey. Trey’s fate was already sealed though, and so was mine.”

© 2015 joshsmitty19


Author's Note

joshsmitty19
Second piece of writing :) Same rule applies as last time! The plan is one a day!! Recommendations or criticism encouraged :) Thanks amigos

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Decent Piece so far. actually had me interested in where it was going but it ended on me. would like to read more of this. content pretty potent but could be a little more. keep up the good work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


joshsmitty19

9 Years Ago

thank you good sir :) i shall do that!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 15, 2015
Last Updated on March 15, 2015
Tags: Zombies, Story, Friends

Author

joshsmitty19
joshsmitty19

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada



About
Howdy! My name is Josh and I am a self-proclaimed writer. I was never a fan of showing people my work but I figured I need to get over that! On here hoping I can find people that can help me further m.. more..

Writing