Chapter Six: Breakfast and Ballgowns

Chapter Six: Breakfast and Ballgowns

A Chapter by T. Logan

            Torin woke up an hour past sunrise the following morning and decided to wake Kye. He had told her the door to his house was always unlocked, as crime rates were pretty much non-existent in Dritton, and she was allowed to go over whenever she wanted.

            “He was going to wish he hadn’t said that,” Torin thought to herself, smiling. Dressing quickly, she hurried out the door, not bothering to grab any breakfast first. She was having too much fun to be bothered with taking time to eat.

            As promised, the door was unlocked, and Torin knocked softly before letting herself in, just in case Kyrill was awake. She softly closed the door behind her, trying to make as little noise as possible.

            Kyrill was awake, and gave her a nod from the kitchen. “He’s still sleeping,” he said, taking a guess at what she was here for.

            “Good,” she smiled mischievously. “I was hoping he would be.”

            He simply rolled his eyes at the small girl as she silently made her way across the house and down the hallway. She knew where the bedroom was; all the houses in that neighborhood had similar layouts.

            The light wooden door slowly creaked open as she pushed it, giving view to the still dark room. Curtains covered the sole window, small slivers of morning light escaping from underneath to shine on Kye, sound asleep.

            Torin resisted the urge to laugh. This was almost too easy. Slowly making her way over to the bed, she could hear him softly breathing, slow and heavy. She got up on the bed next to him, beginning to poke his shoulder.

            He turned in his sleep, no longer on his back, but on his side, so that he was now facing her. Torin blushed at how close he was and stopped poking him, settling for lightly shaking his shoulder.

            “I don’t want to get up,” he murmured, still half asleep.

            Torin giggled. “But why not?” she asked, pretending to pout.

            Kye’s emerald green eyes shot open, half hidden by his dark hair. “Tor?”

            “That was me the last time I checked,” she joked.

            “What are you doing here?” he asked, sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He reached over her to pull open the curtains, and sunlight flooded in, pouring over them both.

            She shrugged. “I don’t really know. Just felt like coming over,” she answered truthfully.

            Kye laughed. “I really shouldn’t have told you about the door being unlocked.”

            “No, you shouldn’t have,” she agreed.

            “Have you eaten yet?” he asked, getting out of the bed and walking over to the wardrobe that stood in one corner.

            “No. I had to do this first,” she replied, still sitting cross-legged on the bed.

            “I’ll have Rill make you something; he’s the only one who cooks.” he suggested. “But, um… you’re going to have to get out of the room for a minute.”

            “Why?” she asked, too busy staring at the thin fabric of the tank top he wore to realize what he was hinting at.

            “I need to change,” he said, trying to hide a blush.

            “Oh,” she said, her own face turning red. “I’ll go place my order with the chef then,” she replied, heading back to the kitchen.

            Kyrill looked up from where he stood in front of the stove. “You want food, don’t you?” he asked with trepidation.

            Torin nodded, taking a seat at the bar in the kitchen. “He told me you were the cook here.”

            “Oh, did he now?” Kyrill replied, a certain suspicious gleam coming into his hazel eyes.

            “Don’t hurt him,” Torin said, only half joking. “I don’t expect he’s any good with food.”

            “Just at eating it,” Kyrill replied smartly, tossing what appeared to be a pancake in the air before it landed back on the pan with a sizzle.

            “I have to eat to live, Rill,” said Kye as he entered the room.

            “It wouldn’t kill you to at least try to make something for yourself,” his twin replied.

            “It might. But I guess we won’t find out, will we?”

            Torin rolled her eyes. Sometimes she was glad she lived alone.

            “So,” Kye started, turning away from his brother and leaning against the bar Torin sat in front of.  “What does the lady want to do today?” Kyrill snorted, and Kye shot him a look before turning back to Torin.

            She shrugged. “Doesn’t matter to me.”

            “Maybe you should tell her about the…” Kyrill began, perhaps trying to get his brother into an awkward place.

            “Later,” Kye interrupted, sending his twin another look.

            Torin raised a thin eyebrow. “You have my attention now.”

            “I’ll tell you later,” Kye said with a wave of his hand. “Believe me, you don’t want Rill in the room when I do.”

            “Alright,” she gave in, taking the plate that Kyrill had slid to her.

            “What about me?” Kye moaned, faking starvation.

            Kyrill rolled his eyes and pushed another plate across to him. “You’re such a child sometimes.”

            “But I’m fun,” Kye argued, before taking the first bite. Torin agreed, but she wasn’t going to say this out loud.

 

            After breakfast they headed outside, walking around the city with no particular place to go. For the beginning of summer, it was still nice outside, and both Kye and Torin were in no more than t-shirts and shorts.

            “Are you staying in Dritton?” Kye asked suddenly, startling Torin out of her daydreaming.

            “What?” Torin countered, somewhat taken aback by the question.

            “The first few days that you were here, you didn’t seem so comfortable whenever I brought it up.”

            “You noticed that?” Torin asked, rubbing her arm nervously. Was she really that transparent?

            “I don’t think anybody else did, if that’s what you’re worried about. But yes, I did. So are you?” he asked again, wanting an answer.

            “I think so,” she said after a while. “I really like it here.”

            Kye smiled at her. “Good. Because there’s the annual ball coming up, and I think you would like it.”

            “What ball?” Torin asked. This was the first she had heard of any ball.

            Kye reddened. “Once a year Dritton City has a formal ball. It’s nothing like the party where we met; it’s more fancy. Suits and big dresses,” he explained.

            “Really?”

            “Less than a week until this year’s,” he confirmed, nodding his head.

            “And I’m just finding out about it now?”

            Kye laughed. “Sorry about that.”

            “Don’t worry about it. Do you think Cori will take me to get a dress?”

            It grew silent as Kye tried to think it over, the only noise coming from their footsteps on the soft grass. “She might, if you force her. She’s not one for dresses, if you haven’t noticed,” he pointed out.

            “She can’t say no. She’s the only girl I know here!”

            Kye looked at her quizzically. “Seriously?”

            Torin shrugged. “I haven’t been out much.”

            “Clearly,” he teased. “So, do you want to go with me?” he asked slowly.

            Torin smiled. “I thought that was just assumed.”

            He blushed and tried to stammer out something, but she couldn’t tell what he was attempting to say. Though it was kind of fun to see him flustered.



© 2012 T. Logan


Author's Note

T. Logan
This is shorter than most of my chapters, but I still like it. The ball will most likely be next chapter, as I can't think of what else it would be.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay, one Kye and his twin are so funny and two.. AWWW! Torin and Kye are so cute. XD
I don't think I would trust Kyrill to cook me breakfast, but that's just me. I can't wait to see what her and Cori's dresses look like. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


T. Logan

11 Years Ago

I might post pictures of the dresses on here. Or I'll just attach links to the website. I always lik.. read more
Skye

11 Years Ago

Can't wait to see it! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

990 Views
1 Review
Added on July 15, 2012
Last Updated on August 7, 2012
Tags: romance, fantasy, suspense, mutants, capture, mountains, ball, castle


Author

T. Logan
T. Logan

Chicago, IL



About
I'm only sixteen, but I've been writing for a while now, and I absolutely love it. I mostly write fantasy, but struggle with character names and plot lines. I like everything to be perfect. Check out .. more..

Writing