The thing in the mirror.

The thing in the mirror.

A Poem by Mimi

What is that thing in the mirror?

That couldn't possibly be me standing there.

She's fat, she's ugly; she's not right.

Look at the way she twitches in the light.

She's a monster; she must go.

I bend over the toilet and force the bile to flow.

I gag and I heave.

I collapse and I cry.

I just want to die.

I feel so ugly,

All because of the fat beast within me.

I get up and look at it; the thing looks back, staring.

It mocks me as I begin glaring.

I look down at my ribs; they stick out so much.

My skin is so thin to the touch.

I look so pale,

My bones are frail.

Without a sound,

I fall to the ground.

With a soft, weak sigh,

I lay there, waiting to die.

© 2010 Mimi


Author's Note

Mimi
My day-to-day life, living with anorexia, and bulimia...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews



this poem certainly conveys how girls hate their bodies--- but there's nothing to hate, because all girls are beautiful!! I loved the rythum of it too, great job.

P.S. I'm sorry you have bulimia.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Greetings and congratulations on a remarkable poem capturing the dislocation of this torturing condition. I like the way you have used a couplet rhyming scheme which tempts one to think it is humourous and then one is hit by the opposite - the mirror image and the reality of the situation. Thank you for sharing this poem.

Neil

Posted 14 Years Ago


This poem is so deep down and true. It makes me wonder why girls, regular girls like me (I don't have an eating disorder), see the things they do and think those horrible things about their beautiful bodies. Good Job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


WOW that's a mind blowing poem. the raw expression puts the reader in the situation. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm lost for words... This is mind-blowing... An incredibly writing, the poem flows brilliantly-contains most of my feelings that I feel when I look in the mirror. Keep writing :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


wow this is truely amazing. It makes you see what the disease does to you and your mind...gives you some major insight on how it works...I applaud this piece of art

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow...this was actually a good poem. Very touching, and you descriptions were amazing. I watched my mother go through this, so I can sort of relate to this even though I've personally never been through it. No, I was on the other side of this sort of story. I was one of the people it hurt. I really hope you don't live like this...you're hurting more than just yourself.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A feeling most people suffering from anorexia have felt. I wouldn't know the feeling but through this poem it seems as though I have...

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is definitely a very touching and thought-provoking poem, which I'm sure is nothing new to your ears.

Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia are definitely very life-affecting disorders, that can stick for a very long time.

Your poem is written so directly and so honestly that it really enables the reader to understand you and empathise with you, which I'm sure a lot of Anorexia & Bulimia sufferers aren't able to have, since (sadly) there are a lot of people who fail to see the reality of the conditions.

I am glad that you are able to understand that you are not, actually fat, although I understand that psychologically you feel as though you are. I can relate, because although I am not an Anorexia or Bulimia sufferer, I still too worry sometimes about my weight even though I'm not even considered heavy enough to give blood.

Your poem is beautifully written in its honesty, and I truly help it provides you with some catharsis. Also, I hope it provides some hope to you, and that it will encourage you to face your condition, but also to provide courage to others that suffer.

Just remember to have pride in yourself, at least sometimes, even though that may not always seem easy.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I wish that I could hug you right now ;'(. I understand.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1208 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 4, 2010
Last Updated on March 5, 2010

Author

Mimi
Mimi

A place called home



About
"My heart is racing, feet are pacing, as I being to anticipate. Not much longer I can wait. The day is near, it's almost here. I feel like I can see him. Soon this vision begins to dim, quickly turnin.. more..

Writing
A Beautiful Sin A Beautiful Sin

A Poem by Mimi


Methamphetamine Methamphetamine

A Poem by Mimi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Abortion Abortion

A Chapter by Luna