Writerscafe shouldn't be a gatekeeping opportunity

Writerscafe shouldn't be a gatekeeping opportunity

A Story by Green

I have been on writerscafe for over a decade at this point. In that time, I have encountered and interacted with some truly wonderful people and writings. This community truly is unique and I would love for it to remain that way to all comers. Any way I can contribute to that, I will.
I do not feel like I should have to justify every action I take, but in this case I will make an exception so that maybe a change can occur.
As anyone who has reviewed me may have noticed, I do not respond to reviews. 
I have not for many years. I used to, back when I first joined, but then I stopped. I stopped for many reasons. I did not want to just say thanks. That felt insincere after a while and could get annoying if you ever happen to get a bunch of reviews at once. It also reduced the chance of me feeling the need to respond when someone left a review I didn't appreciate as much. 
If there has been any confusion about my attitude towards reviews, let me clear it up. I appreciate anyone who takes the time out of their day to appreciate my work and say something. (I appreciate you even if you don't say something and I never know because that's what I think every writer hopes for - to touch someone's mind or heart). I sincerely hope that anyone who reads my stuff and reviews does so because they like it. Not because they feel obligated to.
That's how I treat reviewing. I review anything I like and am drawn to. I review anytime I have something to say and I try to make it a meaningful review. I'm not perfect, and sometimes that probably is not communicated, but it is my intent. 
I have left well over a thousand reviews on this site. I have seldom gotten a review back. I do not expect one. I have rarely gotten a thanks. I do not expect one. I reviewed because I wanted to. I hope that whatever I had to say helped that person and I move on. 
No one is entitled to a review. 
No one is entitled to a thank you.
Sure they may be nice, but the fastest way to ruin anyone's good intentions is to demand it as a right.
And I completely understand if that means some people chose not to review me. Or read me. Or ever interact with me again. That's their choice. All I ask is that if you don't like me or how I operate, leave me alone. I'm not trying to bother you; don't bother me.

© 2024 Green


Author's Note

Green
I feel like this should have a quick post script added. For those who’ve already reviewed this is 3/15/24. I welcome any and all discussion on the topic. Even if anyone disagrees and thinks I’m wrong. There are some things I did not say. This was in response to a specific interaction where I received continued (I would call it harassment) from someone who felt they could pressure me into doing things the way they decided I should. Secondly a large reason why I no longer respond is I simply have no time. I work a full time job. Just last year that meant 60+ hr work weeks. I do not have the time to be on here like I did when I was in high school.
As mentioned in the post, I do not respond to reviews and would find it hypocritical to start now (not to mention all the previous reasons still apply) but if anyone would like to personally discuss anything I’ve said with me, a message is always welcome. Assuming it’s not hostile of course.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well at least now they can't say they don't know and yes, isn't it surprising how many people know all these completely unwritten rules about how this place works, despite everyone else thinking they know better too!
I remember one person tell me that they only review people who review them and didn't even see the obvious flaw in saying we should all do that! It took me about three seconds to figure out that I'd we all did that, we'd be forever waiting for our first review and I've even seen her giving that same piece of advice recently to a new writer!
Maybe that's how it works here, with everyone thinking their thoughts are right and never accepting change.
I doubt it though and doubt I know any better either.
I mean, personally I'd have a button that gave anyone who started a review with "well I just think....that gave them a shock, but that would only lead to mayhem when someone would hack it and turn it up from mild shock to electrocution.
Maybe it is best to let people be without resorting to making people pee themselves and just always look on the bright side of life (tee time tee diddle um 🎶)


Posted 1 Month Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

#REAL You should not feel the need to reply to reviews. I do not expect anyone to reply to my stories, I am not entitled to a review. I probably don't want a review because I like to insult people, I'm like Vinnie from Girls Who Don't DnD. I can be so rude sometimes. I'm saying this as I'm silently judging people, and drawing smiley faces on myself in blue pen.

Posted 1 Month Ago


No one should feel forced to do anything, on a site like this or in any other aspect of life.
But this site is great for the interactions poets may have with each other. I don't feel obligated to say thank you to those who have reviewed me, but it is a natural reaction...I appreciate they have read my work and like to acknowledge that...I also feel that reciprocal reviews are not obligatory...but that is the interaction that helps develop our own work and maybe the work of others.
Poetry is not the most popular genre...and often I feel other writers, novelists etc, might look down on what we do and think it is just a fun hobby. But those of us who are serious poets know how special the other poets are to us for support and inspiration.
AGain...to each his or her own...and no one is forced here to do anything, and should not be forced.
But then acknowledgement of each other and each other's works is the magic that makes us a family.
j.

Posted 1 Month Ago


I have been on here since 2010. I have read pieces I didn’t know how to review and said nothing even though I read it. I have reviewed many pieces. I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed to respond to others when they have reviewed but now I respond when I have a chance and don’t feel obliged. I have forged so great friendships with other poets and writers on this site over the years and some have left some still remain and new faces and write to the mix as well.

I’m completely understand not responding if there isn’t a purpose for it. For me there is a purpose…
The interaction with fellow writers and I’ve been blessed with some who have taken time to teach me and help me grow in my writing over the years

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When I subscribed to this site, I saw no protocols or directions about reviews other than to treat others with respect. Therefore, I find it more respectful to say nothing when I read something I do not care for or find trite, boring, poorly written, etc. As far as responding to reviews...a simple 'thank you' should suffice, but I do not feel it obligatory to respond when someone reviews what I have written.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well at least now they can't say they don't know and yes, isn't it surprising how many people know all these completely unwritten rules about how this place works, despite everyone else thinking they know better too!
I remember one person tell me that they only review people who review them and didn't even see the obvious flaw in saying we should all do that! It took me about three seconds to figure out that I'd we all did that, we'd be forever waiting for our first review and I've even seen her giving that same piece of advice recently to a new writer!
Maybe that's how it works here, with everyone thinking their thoughts are right and never accepting change.
I doubt it though and doubt I know any better either.
I mean, personally I'd have a button that gave anyone who started a review with "well I just think....that gave them a shock, but that would only lead to mayhem when someone would hack it and turn it up from mild shock to electrocution.
Maybe it is best to let people be without resorting to making people pee themselves and just always look on the bright side of life (tee time tee diddle um 🎶)


Posted 1 Month Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Well said! I agree totally. I review 10x more than I get reviewed and that's fine. I review when I want and when I get reviews it's nice but whatever. Lol.

I've made many good friends here though. 😀😀

Posted 1 Month Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 13, 2024
Last Updated on March 15, 2024

Author

Green
Green

AL



About
I'm living in the good ol' south of the US of A. Professionally, I'm an engineer and I guess that means I'm supposed to know things. I don't always. I write because I can, and because I can write word.. more..

Writing
That Place That Place

A Poem by Green