A World without Music

A World without Music

A Story by Satchmo's Gal

 

A world without music is like a world without air; unable to sustain life. Existence, yes. Life, dancing, laughing, crying; No. Music is one of those things that can define a viewpoint, define a lifetime. It is the only language communicated solely by emotion. And this is what it’s meant to me.

            I’ve always pictured ‘music people’ as their own type of species. When isolated, they become shy and stony. When in a pack, they are in their element. And ever since the 7th grade, I’ve been exposed to the epitome of this ‘species’. You see, when I opened myself up to music, it in return gave me a friend: Skylar Lipman, Bassoonist extraordinaire. During the years of middle school, we bonded over our love of music, and she soon became my closest companion when I was too shy to be myself.

             As I became more involved in music, I met more people and slowly crept out of my shell. Music became a bigger part of my life, as well as the people who were in it. I think people sometimes don’t sign up for band and choir because they are afraid I will cut into their social life, and what they don’t realize is that the people in the program become your social life. No clichés intended but they truly are my second family. They stick with me no matter how shy or stupid or awkward I was being. And if we want more people in the band and choir programs, we need to utilize the family aura. There is enough people in both programs that, through word of mouth, the whole town will know how great it is.

Even with how great the programs are, due to budget cuts we are given the short straw, which means we need to work even harder to get younger kids to join and stick with band. I suggest that people in Tri-M might start up a program to start teaching 5th grade kids band/choit, so that come their 6th grade year they will at least know a little about their instrument/voice, and Tri-M members will get service hours.

I know that in both band and choir, one voice does not matter compared the entire ensemble’s effect, but music does mean quite a lot to me. And I hope that through my actions, it will mean just as much to others as it is to me.

 

© 2010 Satchmo's Gal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very nice story i hope it worked out :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Can it really be called 'living' without music.. i think not..

Posted 13 Years Ago


It was heartwarming to read this, for I too believe that music's contribution to our society is immeasurable. When a song comes on the radio, I can usually remember the first time I heard it, what I was doing when I heard, where I was at, who I was in love with, etc. It brings back emotions sometimes so deep that I start to weep instantly. Music can affect my mood within four notes or less.

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 12, 2010
Last Updated on November 12, 2010

Author

Satchmo's Gal
Satchmo's Gal

In the depths of my mind, only coming out to check the local news



About
Nothing is definite, not you, not I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJSGIe5dpc more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..