The Scent of a Rose

The Scent of a Rose

A Chapter by Harmony Grace

A single tear dropped onto the rose I held under my nose. Its scent reminded me too much of him.
I couldn't stand it. Why was he the one that had to die? It wasn't fair.
I started to remember what had happened.
                 1 YEAR AGO
I Woke up happy and all smiles. I hurried to dress, went downstairs and grabbed a quick bite to eat and ran out the door. I ran all the way to the bus stop just missing the bus.
"Aw crap." I huffed out of breath. I saw the bus turn the corner up the street. "Well it's too late to run after it now." I said. I heard a car pull up behind me I turned around and saw Ryan.
"Oh, hey Ryan." I said.
"Hey Jenn." He said smiling a great smile. He had the most beautiful golden hair with blue eyes that shined brighter than the stars. "Need a ride I assume?" He asked.
"It'd be nice." I said.
"Hop in." He said. I got into his car and he drove us to school. The ride there was a little awkward, I don't really have a crush on Ryan, but he's definately not bad looking and this happened to be the time I couldn't help but stare.
"Can I help you?" He asked still smiling.
"Huh? oh, no." I said quickly looking away.
"Oh, ok." He said looking a little down.
"What's the matter?" I asked him.
"Oh nothing, it's nothing." He said looking a little nervous.
"Ok. But if you need anything just ask." I said.
"Yeah, I will." He said.
                                      9 MONTHS AGO
 
I had to stay late after school one afternoon to help out a clasemate, so needless to say I had to walk home and home was 3 miles. I got not even half way home and some one drove up beside me.
"Hey Jenn, get in." Came a soft reply from Ryan.
"Oh, ok. Thanks so much." I said.
"Oh, no problem." He said having that same nervous look I had seen on him a lot lately. I noticed I was home already.
"Is there something wrong?" I asked him. "You look terrible." I said giggling.
"I do? I'm sorry it's just that..." He said looking straight into my eyes. I forgot how to talk, where I was, or what the english language was.
"Huh..." I asked, kind of.
"Well, you told me that if I had anything to ask you to ask you right?" He asked.
"Well, yeah." I said still wondering what was going on. A year ago I didn't realize Ryan that much, we were friends but that was about it, hi and bye kind of relationship.
"Well, Prom is this saturday and I really...well I kind of...just wanted to know..." I stopped him.
"I'd love to go with you." I said smiling.
"Really?" He asked getting a huge smile. "That's great!" He said.
"But, I thought you already had a date?" I asked.
"What? No. I had plenty of offers but I didn't take any of them. It's been my dream to go to prom with you since the 5th grade." He said. "Sorry, that probably sounded creapy." he said smiling sheepishly.
"No, not at all. That's probably the most cute, adorable, and romantic thing any one's said to me in the short 18 years I've been alive." I said smiling. I couldn't believe I had never noticed Ryan in this way before. That saturday we went to prom and had a blast. We pulled up to my house.
"I can't believe you spilled punch all over your shoes." I said laughing.
"Yeah, well that's Ryan Williams for ya." he said laughing. I giggled a little. He looked at me in the eyes again, and again I felt like language didn't exist. "Thanks for coming with me." He said.
"Well I hope I lived up to your 5th grade dream." I said.
"No, actually you didn't." He said seriously. I stopped smiling. "It was so much better than my 5th grade dream, mainly because...I never thought it'd come true." He said looking down. I swallowed. He took his hand and put it under my chin.
"Can I...Can I..." He stuttered a bit.
"I'd love for you to kiss me." I said. He lifted my chin and kissed me. I got out of the car.
"So, I'll see you Monday at school?" he asked.
"Yeah, you will." I said. I started toward the door.
"By the way, you look absolutely amazing." said Ryan. I smiled and walked into my house.
"Hey how was your night?" Asked my mother.
"It was absolutely amazing." I said.
       2 DAYS AGO
 
I remember it was a Thursday...
"Hey Jenn, You got a letter." My mom said.
"Oh, ok." I said. I went and opened it, it read. To my Dearest Jenn,
                               I feel like we've known each other
                              for a long time, our relationship has definately
                              gotten bigger, Since the fifth grade there's something I've
                             wanted to tell you. I'll pick you up at 2:00 on Saturday. 
                                 See you then, I...oops almost let it out. See ya then!
                                   Ryan Williams 
 
                  Yesterday was the day
 
I remember waiting for hours after he said he'd be there.
"Mom, where's the phone I'm gonna call him." I said.
"It's in the kitchen, where it always is." She said.
"Oh." I said, and went off to find it. I finally found it and called Ryan. "Hey Ryan, it's 4:00 where are you? Well give me a call incase somethings come up and you had to cancel. Thanks." I hung up. About an hour later I got a call.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Yes, this is Mr. Williams is this Jennifer?" Mr. Williams asked.
"Yes it is. Where's Ryan?" I asked.
"Jennifer, I'm really sorry to say this but earlier today on the way to your house, he was hit by another driver..." Mr. Williams paused to sniff and blow his nose.
"What?" I asked tears filling my eyes and immediately running down my cheeks.
"I'm so sorry." He said.
"Can I at least ask why he was coming here?" I asked.
"He was going to..." The man was struggling to speak. "He was going to propose to you. I'm sorry I've got to go." He hung up, and I dropped the phone, and immediately dropped to the floor as well.
"Honey, what's the matter what's wrong?" My mom came over to me. I told her what happened, and we both cried. I went to Ryans funeral and got a letter that was addressed to me with a little box and rose. It read:
             My Dearest and Precious Jenn,
                    This is what I had to tell you, I really want
             to make you my wife. Please answer me yes, and make my
             Freshman year of college dream come true. I...oh I'll say it in person once you're done reading this.
                Bye!
              Today
 
I've finally opened the box with the rose and card attatched, in it was a small diamond ring. I am now finally trying on the ring. I read the little card.
                   "Please Marry me! I...I...I can't say it even on here."
I took the rose and placed it under my nose, the scent is unbearable as it reminds me too much of him.
tears now drench the poor little rose. I put the ring on my finger and say:
"Yes, I'll marry you, and Ryan?...............I Love you too.
 
                                 END


© 2010 Harmony Grace


Author's Note

Harmony Grace
this isn't an exact book, just random little tid bits, that won't become much of anything.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it! It was cheesy, (as to be expected of a love story) but...it seemed sort of...unrealistic. Like a movie, where everything just plays out perfectly. Like how he just happens to pull up after she misses the bus. Maybe you could have had him pass her at first, then have her sit for a minute, trying to figure out what to do ("Should I walk?", etc) then have him come back, and say, "Hey, do you need a ride?"
I liked it, but it feels like...you took little tid bits of those perfect love stories.
Good Job and Keep Writing,
Lizzy

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very sad...how he never even told her he loved her.
I really like the story line, and how it played out.

I'd love to see another version of this posted:
Definitely with more description and detail.

Awesome job, though.
Keep on writing!! :)

youtube.com/kneecaplollipop
myspace.com/jenmarks
♥Jen Marks

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 1, 2009
Last Updated on April 15, 2010


Author

Harmony Grace
Harmony Grace

About
really want to be an actressdirector, but I also really love to write! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Harmony Grace


Avery Avery

A Book by Harmony Grace