The Cowboy Along the Way

The Cowboy Along the Way

A Story by Harriet.Lising
"

He is not crazy as he seems.

"
I walk under the same sultry sun, same smoke of clouds and same dusty pavement on the way to school. Each time I pass by here, I feel my scrawny legs become heftier and heftier as if I was physically carrying the heavy load of thoughts I have on my mind with no friend to share it with. Along the way, my gigantic spectacles, carried by my button nose, would always point towards a grubby elderly wearing a cowboy hat that is twice bigger than the size of his head. He never fails to make me chuckle just by looking at him but never once did I speak to him fearing that my classmates would call me cuckoo. Until one day, I decided to do so. I didn't have anything to lose anyway. So I said, “Excuse me, Si-““Greetings my successor! Yeehaw!” he exclaimed piercing right through my ears. “My boy, let me tell you my marvellous story.” He went on and on with his fantasy story about how he once saved a maiden in his land when he was younger but all that my focus went to was to the stench of his breath that kept on clinging on the insides of my nose. I couldn’t help but laugh; until he finished his tale with, “That all happened inside my world. What is your world like, my son?” Then it hit me, he was blind.

© 2018 Harriet.Lising


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the ending. Keep it up. ☺️

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
1 Review
Added on July 23, 2018
Last Updated on July 23, 2018
Tags: Short story, Passage, Imagery, Characterization, Creative writing

Author

Harriet.Lising
Harriet.Lising

Philippines



About
I'm a rookie at writing, but I'm very passionate about it and I make sure to share a piece of myself in every work I make. It can be about the most random things! just like me 😁. I am open for.. more..

Writing