Catching Moonlight

Catching Moonlight

A Story by Havatara

The little girl stepped into the moonlight and said to her older brother, “Someday I’m going to catch the moonlight with my bare hands, Joey.  Just wait and see.”

He smiled, brushing her dark blonde hair behind her shoulder.  “I’m sure you will, Francis.”

She scowled.  “Joey, call me Francie.  I’m seven now, you know.”

“Then don’t call me Joey, just call me Joe.  Joey is for little kids like you, and I’m twelve,” he laughed.  “Come on, we have to get back.  We don’t want to play for too long, or your asthma will act up, right?”  Taking her hand he led her back to their house at the foot of the mountain.


Six years later Francie was sitting by her window with a mug of hot cocoa in her hand, staring up at the full moon.  Smiling, she quickly got up from her seat and changed into jeans and a T-shirt with a sweatshirt over it.  Slipping on her tennis shoes, she raced outside despite the freezing wind, slamming the door behind her.

Hearing the noise, Joe opened his eyes and looked outside.  Cursing when he saw his sister, he tugged on his tennis shoes and raced after her.

Francie could feel it.  She could feel it in her very blood.  That would be the night she would catch moonlight.  Running, racing, she climbed up the mountain towards the moon, not even noticing when her asthma started acting up.

“Francie!” her brother called.  “Francie, slow down!  You know what happened last time!”  The memory shot through his mind of his little sister falling, unconscious, after only a few minutes of playing outside.  That was only two years before.

She didn’t hear him.  All she could think of was the moonlight shining on her face and through her hair as she continued running.  Up and up she climbed, and finally she got there.  To the place where she would catch her moonlight.

Joe was only a few feet behind her, and he caught up to her in less than a second.  He asked her, “What the hell were you thinking, Francie?  You could have died!”

Francie smiled at him.  “I’m going to catch moonlight, Joey.  I’m finally going to catch it.”

“What are you talking about?”  He looked at her.  “You’re wheezing so bad, Francie.  Are you even breathing at all through that?  At least tell me you have your inhaler.”

“I don’t need it, Joey.  I’m going to catch moonlight.”

His eyes widened in understanding.  Their house was almost a mile away.  There was no way he could get her there in time.  Joe sat down and patted the spot next to him.  She sat down and stared up at the moon.  Holding her hands up, she closed her eyes.  Joe tugged her sleeve until she leaned up against him.  They sat there, with Joe’s arm around his little sister’s slim shoulder.

She smiled up and him and said in a faint voice.  “I’ve finally caught my moonlight, Joey.  Isn’t it beautiful?”

He smiled back with tears in his eyes.  “It sure is, Francie.  It sure is.”

© 2010 Havatara


Author's Note

Havatara
Please point out any mistakes you may see, and I don't mind constructive criticism. Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This made me cry a little.. very..foreboding? but sweet.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! This actually made me cry! I loved it...

Posted 13 Years Ago


i've always LOVED the character name Joey..hehe
anyways, i think this story was very touching and wonderfully described.
liked it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oh, that's so sad! Does she die in the end?
Sob...
I think I need to go... someone might see me crying...
(PS I LOVE THIS!!!)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



wow, that was beautiful. I liked how you put across a certain message by using the idea of "catching moonlight". great job =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Author

Havatara
Havatara

The Town That Moved, St. Louis County, MN (aka Hicksville), MN



About
My birthday is November 12, 1994. I was born and raised in Minnesota and am loving it, despite the mosquitoes and the six month winter. It would be AMAZING if you reviewed something of mine if I r.. more..

Writing
Me and You Me and You

A Poem by Havatara


Nightdemons Nightdemons

A Poem by Havatara