Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Helen


Long, long ago …… in a time before you knew, there were two small figures sitting by a lake and dreaming, remembering events yet to pass. One, a small girl with golden hair and dressed in white, was around six years old and her name was Leana. Her unlikely companion was a small bear, aptly named Teddy. He had always been with Leana, but he had lived many lives, and may have been around fifty years old, or even older. Unlikely companions indeed, but their bond was close and they had shared many adventures. 

Teddy was chewing thoughtfully on a blade of grass, while Leana watched the floating clouds, which were drawing pictures in the sky. The two friends had been silent for some time when Leana remembered her dream. She turned to Teddy. 

“I dreamed of a frog”, she said, “A giant frog that came to save the world!” 

As if it had heard her, and indeed it probably had, for that is the way of things in fairy tales, the lake parted. From within its depths, a giant frog appeared and, taking an appropriately giant leap, it landed exactly in front of the small girl and the even smaller bear. 


“Hello!” said the frog. “My goodness, I have come from such a long way away, but my journey has been worth it, for you are just the right types of folk that I need to help me. In fact, I know that you have exactly the qualities I am looking for. Quick, jump on my back, and I will take you to the Place of All Knowing.” 

Perhaps they should have been surprised or even concerned, but the events that were unfolding felt perfectly right, and perfectly natural. Teddy did take a moment to check his decision-monitor, which was a small gauge near to his heart. To his amazement, for he had never seen it so high before, it was at the top of the scale. He jumped on to the frog’s back without hesitation, and he gestured for Leana to do the same. 

As he had arrived, so the frog left, again taking a single giant leap, this time entering a new dimension, which was a most astounding and beautiful place. Leana had never seen such a place, although Teddy had a feeling that he had been there before, perhaps as a very young bear (“or even,” he thought, chuckling to himself, “even before I was beared”). And it was here, in this place of awe and wonder and beauty, that the true adventure really began. 

And so it was, for this stage of the transformation was complete and, at last, Leana was safe enough, and strong enough, and free enough to explore her world. 




© 2021 Helen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

' Teddy had a feeling that he had been there before, perhaps as a very young bear (“or even,” he thought, chuckling to himself, “even before I was beared”). And it was here, in this place of awe and wonder and beauty, that the true adventure really began. ' The air of adventures and emotions to come is suggested beautifully here.. and to use an old.fashioned word: so enjoy the CHARM and feeling of your book so far..

Posted 3 Years Ago


This is awesome. I don't feel like this is starting out as a piece heavy in therapy kitsch at all . . . this is pure symbolic creativity. Great job making everything clear & interesting & we want to find out what's next . . .

Posted 3 Years Ago


You weaved a perfect place. I liked the bear and the girl at the lake. Discussing life and things. A giant frog ride would be fun. Thank you dear Helen for sharing the entertaining chapter.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Helen

3 Years Ago

Thank you for your review and for reading my book Coyote. I feel quite honoured and humbled that yo.. read more
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Was my pleasure and you are welcome dear Helen.
Loved the way you tell the story with such detailing. I was taken up with the simple yet enchanting way you do it. So the adventure begins. I felt she needed that teddy to feel empowered enough to begin her journey. The teddy bear is adorable. Already bonding with your characters!

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2021
Last Updated on January 4, 2021
Tags: fairy story, personal growth. healing, addiction, alcoholism, childhood trauma, recovery


Author

Helen
Helen

Luton, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
When I joined WritersCafe, I originally posted the poems I had written as part of my personal healing journey - childhood trauma to alcoholism to recovery. I wasn't sure if my writing would be of inte.. more..

Writing
Lost Souls Lost Souls

A Poem by Helen


Life and Soul Life and Soul

A Poem by Helen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Year 3016 Year 3016

A Poem by Riddhi