Chapter 19: Dane Hills

Chapter 19: Dane Hills

A Chapter by Helen


And so it was that the fifty two year old woman found herself at Dane Hills as if it were the most natural thing in the world to be there, seeking the witch from tales of old. The woman looked around her at the narrow terraced houses that had been built in the late nineteenth century, and felt that she had been here before, perhaps before the houses existed, at a time when a mighty oak tree stood proudly on the hill. 

“Mother!” she called “Are you here?” 

From deep within the bowels of the earth she heard familiar muttering. 

“Who dares to come here?!” “Who dares to draw near?!” 

If you had been there at this moment, you would have seen the woman’s body shake, and you might have thought that she was afraid. It was not fear, however, but laughter that shook her. The laugh that came from the woman was a deep belly laugh, born of love, and of knowing, and of joy. 

“Mother!” she called again, “I have come to visit.” 

The dark figure made its way up from the earth, to the over-world, through a crack in the poorly maintained pavement, ripping the slab apart with gnarled and bony fingers, raising itself to full body height and standing in front of the woman, who was peering finally, and delightedly, into the beautifully hideous face of one-eyed Black Annis. 

The old witch looked at the woman. 

“What is your name?” she asked. 

“My name” said the woman, “is Helen, and I am your daughter.” 

“And what?” said the witch, “what are your other names?” 

“My other names, my mother, are ‘Leana’ and ‘Wounded Child’.”

Helen smiled as she realised. Finally releasing the last of the shame that had been embedded in the core of her being, she looked at the old woman, and finished her answer to the age old question. 

“I have new names, and they are ‘Wounded Healer’ and ‘Story Teller’,” she said, “But my true name is ‘Helen’, and I am.” 

Helen looked with love and gratitude at the wise old woman who lived in the space between the two worlds. She felt at perfect peace and entirely ready to submit to the will of the Universe, whatever that might be and wherever it might take her. Still smiling, she turned to Black Annis with her new request, knowing beyond knowing that all really would be well. 

“Please show me, Dear Mother what I need to do next.” 



The End



© 2021 Helen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on January 3, 2021
Last Updated on January 4, 2021
Tags: fairy story, personal growth. healing, addiction, alcoholism, childhood trauma, recovery


Author

Helen
Helen

Luton, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
When I joined WritersCafe, I originally posted the poems I had written as part of my personal healing journey - childhood trauma to alcoholism to recovery. I wasn't sure if my writing would be of inte.. more..

Writing
Lost Souls Lost Souls

A Poem by Helen


Life and Soul Life and Soul

A Poem by Helen