Blue September

Blue September

A Chapter by HiddenAngel
"

Courtney ventures out into the streets hoping to find someone she knows. Her friend takes her in and attempts to help with the Brett situation.

"

Even in early September the weather was cold. People walked close trying to keep warm as small snowflakes fell. I walked alone for a mile looking desperately for someone I knew. “Girl what you doing out here!” someone screamed. I turned around and saw my “friend” Jackie waving her arms from her apartment window “get your a*s up here!” she yelled then shut the window. Jackie wasn’t the type of person I normally would be friends with but that didn’t matter anymore. No one here knew about my past. We were all one big family. Sort of like the ones you see in movies were the kids from the hood stick together. I made my way through the old wooden door into the hall. Crestview apartments were less than decent, in fact they had so many violations the government was taking the place. From the bottom floor I could hear Jackie yelling about something then a door slammed shut “will you get your a*s up here!” she screamed from the third floor. I ran up the steps ignoring the comments from the men. Jackie pulled me into her apartment and shut the door locking it. “What the hell are you doing walking around here alone?! You know how dangerous it is!” she yelled lecturing me. A tall skinny man walked out from the bedroom with a small child and handed him to Jackie “Jackie shut up the girls almost eighteen she can handle herself.” He said walking into the kitchen. “Oh no Devonte don’t even come in here telling her that s**t. You know as well as me that Durrell and his little gang have it out for Brett.” She said handing me the baby and getting in Devonte’s face. “Whatever I’m out” he said slamming the door behind him “yeah get out here” Jackie yelled then came and sat down. “Alright I’m sorry girl I haven’t let you talk at all. What’s going on?” she asked. I looked at her son Marcus who was cuddled up against me and sighed “It’s Brett. Jackie I love him so much and I know he loves me but he’s getting worse. Today Jay came over and was saying something about how they’re looking for him now. I have no idea what’s going on and when I ask he gets all mad.” I said starting to cry. Jackie had pulled her daughter Elli over and was fixing her hair then stopped and looked up. “Maybe spending some time away will help. Devonte is going to be gone for a couple days. His brother just had a kid and he’s visiting. Why don’t you stay here and I’ll go talk with Brett.” She said. Jackie was only twenty two but she knew a lot about life. Devonte and she met in high school and she became pregnant with her first son Devonte Jr. When the baby was three months he passed away from kidney failure. Through the hard time she and Devonte learned to love each other. They now have two kids Elli who’s two and Marcus, who is only a couple months. Even though they fight a lot they’re always there for each other. “I guess. Can you grab me some clothes while you’re there?” I asked. She nodded yes and walked out the door. “Neenee” Elli called. She couldn’t yet say Courtney so my official name for her was Neenee. “Neenee lets play mommy!” she said happily while pulling out her baby dolls. I put Marcus, who was now asleep, into his crib and sat on the floor with Elli. “This is yous baby” she said handing me the lightest one. “Thank you Elli.” I said picking it up. “Neenee you baby is crying!” she yelled and ran to get a play bottle “here baby” she said putting the bottle in the dolls mouth. “Ellie where is your baby?” I asked while rocking the doll. She jumped up and ran across the room bringing back a small stroller with a doll. “She was taking a walk.” Elli said and unbuckled her. We sat for an hour playing with her dolls and horses “Neenee I’m hungry.” She said sad and holding her stomach. I got up and looked through the kitchen for something to cook but the only thing in there was soda, alcohol and crackers. “Elli go get your coat I have a surprise for you.” I said and went to wake up Marcus. Both kids were dressed in their big fluffy coats and ready to go. We quickly walked to a diner down the road and took a seat. “I’ll have the BLT and she’ll have the macaroni. Can I get a small thing of applesauce too?” I asked the waiter. “Sure” he said scribbling down the order “Is that all?” he asked and walked away before I could answer. I sat and watched brokenheartedly as Elli scarfed down the macaroni like she’d never eaten before. After Elli was done we paid and started the walk back home.



© 2011 HiddenAngel


Author's Note

HiddenAngel
Tell me what you thing. Suggestions are very helpful. If there is anything you think could be done different let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on March 26, 2011
Last Updated on March 26, 2011


Author

HiddenAngel
HiddenAngel

About
I'm sixteen and a student in highschool. My life revolves around music, art, and writing. My friends are my inspiration for most of my work. I would be nothing without them. I suffer from anxiety & se.. more..

Writing