Chapter one

Chapter one

A Chapter by lindsay


*

 


Abilene Gray



    "Vienna, can you please turn that down?" I ask my best friend, crossing my arms over my chest as I walk from the kitchen into the living room.

    "What?" She asks, yelling over the loud music.

    I shake my head and repeat myself, yet again, but I know my protests will fall on deaf ears. Vienna listens to music religiously. Especially them.

    At first I have to admit I was a little... surprised. But after a while I got use to it. The first year was weird. But year two was much easier. Especially since Vienna was such a fan. I couldn't avoid watching them on the television sometimes. And I couldn't lie, I liked it.

    It was nice to see him happy. To see a smile that reached his eyes. But in a way it hurt to be the girl that was left behind. Sure, we were only fifteen at the time and we only met once for like ten minutes, but it was special to me. It changed my life forever.

    "What is wrong with you? How can you not drool over them? Especially Louis. Look at that a*s." Vienna moans, pointing the controller at the television as if to prove a point.

    She was sprawl across my living room couch watching a recorded performance she'd seen a million times already. Even I was starting to learn all the words to the songs.

    "Do they let you talk like that in preschool?" My brother, Rob, mutters dryly, plopping himself down onto the couch beside Vienna and looking at the television with disgust.

    "I'm nineteen now Robert, thank you very much. I'm not a kid anymore." Vienna protests, flashing my brother a dirty look.

    And yes, before you ask, they are always like this. Don't get me wrong, I loved them both too death, but their bickering was beyond annoying. But Vienna had been my best friend since the start of high school five years ago and Rob... well, Rob was my older brother. I had no choice but to love him.

    "Whatever, you'll always be a kid to me." He snickers, reaching over and snatching the remote from her hands to turn on sports.

    "And you'll always be a bum to me. Now give the remote back." Ah, yes. Vienna was never afraid to say what was on her mind. Ever. It was both a blessing and a curse.

    "No way, brat. My house. I have dibs. Plus while mum and dad are out shopping I'm in charge." Rob tells her with a smirk, waving the remote in her face. He was immature like that.

    He was almost twenty three and he still lived at home, but I didn't really mind. Usually (when Vienna wasn't around) he was actually pretty cool. But unlike me Rob didn't really have any ambition or drive. After High School he just kind of... shut down. He worked full time at a car garage in town and dated more girls then I had fingers and toes to count on.

    His friends list was extensive, and he was always the life of the party. We were like polar opposites. If we didn't have the same blue eyes and dark hair like our father, I wouldn't think we were related at all.

    But I'm still holding out on the hope that Robs adopted. Or an alien. That would explain things. For everything Rob was I wasn't. I didn't have many friends. Or any, really. Just Vienna. And that was okay with me since we did everything together anyway.

    And unlike Rob I had goals. I played the Piano. Not professionally, yet, but I was working on it. Playing in smoky cafe's and what not for petty cash. Which is why at nineteen I still lived at home. But I had plans. Plans to travel the world and play my music for thousands of people. And I'd already finished High School. The only thing holding me back was money and recognition.

    A tsking sound from a certain blonde brought me back to reality and I stared into the deep brown eyes of my best friend, startled. "Y-yes?"

    "Day dreaming about you know who again?" She teases, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively at me as she jumps off the couch and saunters over to me.

    I roll my eyes. "Vienna, how many times do I have to say-"

    "'That I don't like him', I know, I know, I know." She sighs, throwing her hands up dramatically. "You say that but I can see it in your face."

    Fighting back the blush threatening my pale cheeks I turn and head back into the kitchen, Vienna hot on my trail. "Why did you let Rob take away the remote so easily? You two usually go at it for hours." I comment, trying my best to change the subject.

    "You realize how wrong that sounds, right?" She asks, giving me a look.

    I'm unable to stop the blush from invading my cheeks. "Your so dirty minded."

    She grins a Cheshire grin, twirling a piece of blonde hair around her fingers. "You act like that's a bad thing. Look, your brother is hot for an average guy, but he's so irritating."

    I make a gagging sound, but secretly smile to myself as I mix my Christmas cookie dough. Ever since tenth grade I'd been hoping Vienna and Rob would get together. Then we could be official sisters. They were just stubborn. And there was also the fact that Rob was a total w***e and Vienna was obsessed with celebrity guys who wouldn't even notice girls like us.

    Well, correction, girls like me. Vienna was a total knock out with her long curly blonde locks, perfect hour glass body and flawless skin. Not to mention that she was top of our class smart and she came from a relatively wealthy family. She was a catch by anyone's standards.

    "Good, I'm glad we agree on something." She says, grinning wickedly as she scoops from of my cookie dough mix out of the bowl with her fingers.

    I give her a scolding look before going back to placing perfect snowman shaped cookies onto my baking sheet. My dad's birthday was the night before Christmas (just like Louis, a fact I know because of Vienna's stalker like obsession with him) and I wanted to perfect my baking skills before then so I could make him the perfect cake. He was a sucker for cake.

    Of course it was only November now and the leafs had barely fallen off the trees but I was hoping for snow soon. It always reminded me of him and that night.

    Absentminded lifting my hand to my neck, I twirled a finger around my perfect, delicate necklace, feeling the intricate detailing of the snowflake between my fingers.

    "Oh, hey, I have a surprise for you." I remember suddenly, dropping my hands to my sides and turning to my best friend.

    "Oh?" She asks, perking up a little bit. Most people hated surprises. Vienna wasn't one of those people.

    Grabbing my cookie sheet full of snowmen I quickly put them into the oven and turn it to the right temperature before turning to my anxious best friend.

    "It's sort of an early half Christmas present." An expensive one. I'd been saving up for forever to get Vienna this present. But it was the perfect present. I just hadn't shopped for anyone else in my family yet. I needed to play a few more gigs and get the money.

    "Early half Christmas present?" She asks, eyeing me suspiciously.

    I nod. "Well I have to give it to you early because of when it is. But I want to also get you something else to open on Christmas day. So it's only half of your full Christmas present." I explain, hoping she'd understand. And some how she did. Which is why we're best friends.

    "Okay, hit me up, baby." She says excited, closing her eyes and holding out her hands, palm up towards me.

    I smile, unable to contain my own excitement. She was going to go nuts over this. Pulling the envelope out of my pocket and pushing down the butterflies in my stomach, I place the paper in her hands, willing her to open her eyes and look.

    She rips through the envelope in seconds, her eyes widening to the size of golf balls. The loud shriek that leaves her lips is no surprise and in no time she's hugging me to death and honestly, I think I may have saw a tear.

    "What's wrong? Whose dying? Please tell me it's Vienna." Rob bursts through the kitchen door, scanning the room for the source of the horrible shrieking sound. When he realizes Vienna is in fact alive and extremely happy, his face turns sour.

    "Nobody. Your sister is just the best. THE BEST. There is so totally a reason your my best friend. One Direction, here we come!" She shouts, dancing around the kitchen like a lunatic.

    "Oh god. I got off the couch for that?" Rob snorts, slouching back out of the kitchen and back to the couch.

    "Your just jealous!" She calls after him, a beautiful smile on her face. "Holy s**t these must have cost you a fortune."

    I shrug, smiling at my best friend. "I knew you'd like them and your reaction was worth it. I hope you and Katie have a really good time next week at the concert." I tell her, cleaning the counter free of cooking ingredients.

    "Katie?" She asks, her brow wrinkling in confusion.

    Katie was Vienna's younger sister who was also obsessed with One Direction. Niall was her favorite although he was much too old for the fourteen year old girl.

    "Yeah, I got you two tickets. One for you and one for her."

    "No way. Abi you have to come with me. I can't go see my favorite band without my best friend." She whines, giving me her best puppy dog eyes.

    "No, I can't. I'm not even a fan. I can't go." I protest, looking at her in shock and shaking my head. I had no idea she'd insist that I go.

    "Abi please." She begs, stalking over to me. "Your my best friend. Please, please, please."

    This continues on for about an hour and a half until my parents walk through the door. Vienna repeatedly asks me to go, and I repeatedly refuse. But the stubborn girl she is, she doesn't give up.

    "Why don't you just go with her, honey?" My mum asks, placing a cup of hot cocoa in front of me.

    "Yes, please. Do something to shut it up." Rob retorts, running a hand through his hair.

    "You know what, not even you can ruin this for me Robert. The only one who can is Abi by saying she won't go which will break my heart and then I won't go and I'll miss the opportunity of a life time and end up a lonely old lady with twenty seven cats-"

    "Abi, what's so bad about this band that you don't want to go?" My dad asks, giving me a confused look.

    I groan, slouching back against the couch and rubbing my temples in a slow circular motion. "I just don't like their music."

    "Then why do you have their CD's in your room?"

    "Vienna tried to brain wash me." Which is true. Vienna had bought me both CD's as soon as they came out in hopes of brain washing me. Of course I'd listened to them both, specifically his solo parts, but only because I needed to hear his voice again. Just to remind myself it was all real. That it all really happened.

    I remember the shock that I felt when I first saw his face on Xfactor the first time he tried out not too long after we met. And then again in 2010. I remember the heartbreak I felt when he got sent home. And then the happiness I felt for him when he tried out again and made it.

    I was as shocked as everyone else when he got put into a band. And even more shocked when they took third place. I'd thought they'd win it all. But they were doing well for themselves now anyway.

    I didn't watch all of his talk show performances or concert DVD's' or anything like that, but I already had his face memorized. But I could never face him in person. Ever. Which is why I couldn't say yes to Vienna. It was crazy, but what if he recognized me at the concert? I had no idea what I'd say to him.

    And even more important I was the only person who knew. It was a secret I hadn't even told Vienna. How do you tell something like that to your best friend? I'd sound like a lunatic.

    "Abi?"

    I blinked and looked up in the direction of the voice. My father's blue eyes stared back at me.

    "Yeah, dad?"

    "Your mother and I will buy you that new piano you wanted for Christmas if you go with Vienna." He says, his words shell shocking.

    I stop the protest on my lips abruptively, staring at my parents. "Seriously?" I ask, turning my head to the side to study them.

    They nod.

    "Yeah, I'll even pitch in if you take that thing away for a few days. I could use a break." Rob sighs, glaring at Vienna.

    "I am not a thing. But whatever gets you to come." Vienna says excited, watching me.

    I groan, covering my face with my hands. After a few seconds I move my fingers to the sides and look at my parents. "Why are you doing this?"

    "Well, you have to understand that it will be your only present from us-"

    I nod. "Done."

    "But we want you to get out and have fun with your friends. You work too hard." My mum says, coming to sit beside me and rub my back.

    I give her a grateful smile. I didn't really work that hard. Sure I practiced every night until I fingers bled on my great grandmother's old piano that was practically falling apart, but so what? My mum worked endless as a nurse and my dad was a firefighter. He saved lives everyday. They were the ones who worked too hard.

    "Thank you." I whisper softly, hoping my parents could see how much I appreciated this.

    "So.... is that a yes?" Vienna asks hopefully, slowly approaching me.

    With a sigh I look up at my best friend and force a smile. "Let's do this."

    From across the room Rob mutters, "Thank god." Putting a smile on all our faces. Good ol' Rob.

 


*

 




    "So girl, what are you planning to wear?" Vienna asks through the phone. I can still hear the excitement in her voice five days later. In fact, she was getting more excited as the days went by.


    "Um, clothes?" I ask, knowing that would hardly suffice. Don't get me wrong, I was fashionable (If I do say so myself) but I didn't want to look to try-hardy when I saw Liam again. And I'd definitely be seeing him because there was a CD signing right after the concert.

    A sigh comes from the other line and I can tell my best friend is more then a little fed up with me. "Abilene Gray. We are meeting One Direction in two days. We leave in the morning. If you want to make an impression then you need to look hot."

    Puffing out air I flop down on my twin sized bed, pulling my lavender cover over my body. "I'm sorry. I just... Look, there's something I haven't told you." I say slowly, my stomach filling with anticipation. This was it. I was actually going to tell her. The fantasy was about to become real.

    "What? You know what, scratch that, I'm exhausted and I need my beauty sleep. You can tell me tomorrow. And if you don't find a presentable outfit I'll find one for you." She orders, sounding like my mum. Except a lot more bossy and demanding.

    "Okay," I cave, giving into her. "Goodnight." I mumble, ringing off and setting my cell phone on my night stand.

    I closed my eyes and attempted to sleep, but thoughts of Liam kept invading my head. I couldn't help but wonder what he was like now. What would he be wearing tomorrow? What did he smell like? Did he remember? If he did, would he mention it? Or would he just pretend he's never met me before.

    By 6 A.M. I knew there was no hope I'd be getting any sleep so I dragged my tired body out of bed and into the shower which only killed thirty minutes. Then I was stuck standing in nothing but a towel in front of my closet, wondering what to wear.

    What did one wear to a concert? I'd never been before so I had no idea. I decided to go simple with a pure white long sleeved peter pan collar dress ending just above the knee with paired with white knit boots and a pink peacoat styled winter jacket and a matching pink hat and scarf. This meant leaving my hair down and straight but that was okay because that's how I normally wore it.

    It was currently at that awkward stage between short and long. I actually lucky it had grown so much since I was only at three and a half years in remission. It broke my heart when it had all fallen out. But it was a blessing to have it as long as it was again.

    Smiling at my reflection in the mirror I slide my fingers through my dark brown hair. I had such a long, hard journey with Cancer. Playing and listening to the piano helped me through it. That's when I decided that I would play music for the rest of my life.

    It was weird. I hadn't even known I had Cancer until just before my sixteenth birthday after I'd met Liam. I guess it was a good thing I hadn't let him walk me home or be apart of my life. Who wanted to be with a bald, sick person? Nobody. Which is why I never really dated much.

     To finish off my look I did my make up simple. Just lip gloss, mascara and a little bit of black eyeliner. I didn't need anything else since my skin was fairly flawless. I was lucky that way.

    "Abi, Vienna is here!" My mum calls for me, startling me. I hadn't realized how late it was. Some how I was always getting lost in my own thoughts.

    Glancing at the clock that read 7:35 I quickly dashed to my bed shoving my spare clothes, money and cell phone into my purse. I rummaged through it for a few seconds before zipping it up and tossing it over my body because it was a cross body bag.

    Vienna wasn't very patient to begin with and because she was so anxious to see One Direction she wouldn't wait long for me. I was halfway out the door when I remembered something.

    Dashing back to the bathroom I quickly grabbed my necklace off the counter and fastened it around my neck. Smiling at the shining snow flake I rushed down the stairs and quickly said goodbye to my family before trudging outside and towards Vienna's little red car.

    "Morning V," I greet, getting into the car and buckling up my seatbelt.

    "And what a morning it is," She sighs happily, smiling over at me. "Ready?" She asks.

    I nod. "Yep."

    She grins and pulls out onto the street. "Good. Let's do this."


*


© 2012 lindsay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good. You're an amazing author!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Verry interresting, I would love to read more

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 10, 2012
Last Updated on December 10, 2012
Tags: one direction, liam payne, love, romance, fan fiction


Author

lindsay
lindsay

Canada



About
Hsmiles❤ keep smiling because lifᦆ.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by lindsay