A Strange State of Affairs Ch. 6

A Strange State of Affairs Ch. 6

A Chapter by IAmGhost120

“For the last time, I refuse to go.”

Elevine was reclining on the windowsill in Fye’s room, listening to his phone conversation.  Pona was on the other line, and they had been discussing the details of his…date (she winced with distaste every time she thought of this).  Fye had been vehemently opposing it, but Pona had made a series of sensible arguments.

“Her father is sponsoring this show at the Tellurim,” Pona had said, “If you got engaged to her, think of what that would do for your career!!  Not to mention you’d have the press off your back.”

“Look, Fye,” Pona was saying now, “I wasn’t joking around when I mentioned this date.  It’s already been set, so I expect you to show.  This is final.”

The artist ran his hand through his hair.

“Oh, one more thing,” Pona added, “I’ll be by Tuesday to pick up your showcase pieces.  And Riyel will be by sometime next week too.”  And with that, she hung up the phone.

Fye sighed, shrugged, and slammed the phone into its receiver with unnecessary force.  He stared at El, sighed again, and then tromped towards the living room.

Elevine heard him turn the television on and fall heavily onto the sofa.  She quickly sprang off the table and padded towards him.  The artist was splayed over the couch, frowning and staring intently at the television.  He noticed El, who let out a loud meow in his direction, and scooted over to make room for her.  Eleevine hopped up right next to his head and curled up into a little ball.  The artist sighed.

Elevine noticed his dead expression and awkwardly reached out a paw, attempting to stroke his hair and console him �" just as she would have done in human form.  She thought back, clearly remembering her mother doing this for her in times of illness or emotional stress.  Her own heart grew morose upon remembering her current condition: felined and orphaned.

Fye noticed his cat batting at his hair and turned to stare.  This batting felt odd, more like…stroking…  It felt like a move meant to offer sympathy and kindness, but…

The artist quickly shook his head in a blur of brown.  He was definitely overthinking things.

Elevine saw his odd expression and quickly realized her error.  Normal cats were not so quick to sympathize with her masters.  She knew this, and yet…something, the air around Fye, perhaps, made her feel the overwhelming urge to reach out and calm him…

Her humanity had to go.  It was the only way to endure this terrible state of affairs.

 

           

                        

 

 

 

 



© 2012 IAmGhost120


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
Added on July 8, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2012


Author

IAmGhost120
IAmGhost120

About
So. You wanna know stuff about me, huh. Well, I'm a human, and I'm alive. I live on Planet Earth, which is in the Milky Way, and I live on a large landmass surrounded by ocean. I have a nose, two .. more..

Writing
Clay Clay

A Story by IAmGhost120