A Strange State of Affairs Ch. 24

A Strange State of Affairs Ch. 24

A Chapter by IAmGhost120

            Fye came into the room followed closely by Mowells.

            Mao had gone home to check on her siblings and get some much-needed sleep.

            Mowells clapped his hand on Fye’s shoulder.  “Why don’t you go home and get some rest, son?”

            Fye shook his head.  “I…I couldn’t.  Mowell, I’ve already left Ma once; I can’t leave her now.”

            Mowells shook his head in return.  “Your Ma wouldn’t want you to ruin your own health for her sake.  Go on home.”  He looked sternly at his stepson and noted the deep rings around his eyes.

            Fye held Mowells’ gaze for a moment before caving in.  His shoulders slumped with fatigue and defeat.  “Alright.  C’mon, ‘la,” he called.

            There was no reply.

            “Elala?”

            Mowells stared at Fye.  “What’s wrong?”

            “My cat,” the young man replied. He began to search around the room.  “I can’t find her.”  He started to flip cushions and peer beneath tables. “Elala?  Elala?!  Where are you?!”  His voice grew frantic.

            “Fye, I’ll find her,” Mowells intoned gently. “You go on home.  If I see her, I’ll give you a call.  She’s probably just fallen asleep in some niche somewhere.”

            Fye’s frame sagged dejectedly.  “Alright.  Thanks.”  He trudged slowly from the hospital room.

            The drive home was dreary; it had begun to rain.  The car crept home.  Fye sloshed through the rain, opened the door, and burst in.  He walked into his room, too weary to bother with flipping the lights on.

            He was greeted by a quiet meow.  “’la?!”  Fye switched on the bedside lamp.

            Sure enough, it was El.  She was sprawled limply on the right side of the bed, the side that wasn’t his.  She was exhausted. 

            Fye blinked in astonishment.  “B-but how did you get…?  Ahhh, never mind.”  He rumpled his hair, shed his rain-soaked shirt, and flopped onto the bed.  “Today’s been crazy.”  He yawned, and his eyes closed sleepily.  “Maybe just a quick…nap…”

            Man and cat fell into a deep slumber.  The rain continued its staccato beat upon the rooftop.



© 2012 IAmGhost120


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

258 Views
Added on July 24, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2012


Author

IAmGhost120
IAmGhost120

About
So. You wanna know stuff about me, huh. Well, I'm a human, and I'm alive. I live on Planet Earth, which is in the Milky Way, and I live on a large landmass surrounded by ocean. I have a nose, two .. more..

Writing
Clay Clay

A Story by IAmGhost120