Cania

Cania

A Screenplay by Ian Titian
"

Script of my original short movie, partly inspired by "Pagliacci", work by Rugerro Leoncavallo. A story about a miserable clown who tries to cheer up other people, in order to hide her sorrow.

"

Shot 1 (3 seconds)

Shot of cloudy sky, with the quote:

Happiness (n)

The state of being happy.

Happy (adj.)

Feeling or showing pleasure or contentment.

Background music playing: Candyman theme

Shot 2 (3 seconds)

Shot of a puddle of water on the ground under trickling rain, slowly zooming out, disrupted by Cania’s feet splashing on the puddle. Camera still focused on the rippling puddle of water.

The following quote appears on screen for the whole shot:

Sorrow (n)

A feeling of deep distress caused by loss, disappointment, or other misfortune suffered by oneself or others.

Background music playing: Candyman theme

Shot 3 (3 seconds)

Shot of a closed door, disrupted by Cania opening the door.

The following quote appears on screen for the whole shot:

Facade (n)

An outward appearance that is maintained to conceal a less pleasant or creditable reality.

Background music playing: Candyman theme

Scene 1 (estimated length; 31 seconds)

Setting: Psychiatrist’s office

Location of shooting: Still unclear

Characters: Cania/Yvette (Yovi), Psychiatrist (Afwa)

Psychiatrist: Good afternoon. Please sitdown.

Cania stays completely silent but slowly walks towards the chair on the opposite of the table, across from the psychiatrist.

Psychiatrist: So Yvette, how are you feeling right now?

Cania stays completely still and silent, camera focuses on her face as she frowns and simply blinks twice.

Psychiatrist: Well ... *sigh* ... I’m rather sad to say that apparently, nothing’s changed. Your mood hasn’t changed whatsoever since your last visit. In fact, I don’t think it’s improved since your very first visit, despite all of the therapy programs and medicine I have offered you.

Camera shifts back to focus on Cania’s face. Her expression is still as stoic as it was before. Stoic with a hint of melancholy.

Psychiatrist: *sigh* ... Okay, I may have one final solution for you. Have you ever heard of a clown named Cania?

Camera shifts back to focus on Cania’s face. She was previously looking down at the floor but quickly lifts her head up upon hearing what the Psychiatrist had just said her eyes widens showing a look of utter surprise

Cuts to scene 2

Background music playing: None

Sound of effect: Sound of trickling rain.

Scene 2 (estimated 30 seconds)

Setting: Cania’s childhood home

Location of shooting: still unclear

Characters: Cania/Yvette (Yovi), Yvette’s father (Arry), Yvette’s mother (Alika)

Camera is located in the corner of the living room; Cania is sitting on the couch looking sad then her mother walks into the room looking distressed and angry she stops right in front of Cania. Cania looks up at her, her eyes bleak and filled with guilt and terror.

Yvette’s Mother: YVETTE!!!!!

Yvette: ... what is it, dear mother?

 Yvette’s Mother: you just broke one of my favorite plates, didn’t you?

Yvette: i........... i.......... (shivering in fear)

Yvette’s Mother: WHAT? WHAT IS IT?

Yvette: it was an accident ..... please forgive me, mother.

Yvette’s Mother: you know i don’t tolerate accidents in this house!!

Suddenly Yvette’s father enters the room

Yvette’s Father: Hey! What’s going on here? (in an angry tone)

Yvette’s Mother: This cursed daughter of yours just broke one of my precious plates! (while pointing a finger at Yvette)

Yvette begins to cry

Yvette’s Father: You dumb, worthless kid! Can’t you do anything right!? Can’t you even do the simple things? Can’t you just make us happy? (rubs his forehead with his right hand)

Yvette begins to cry some more, then she storms out of the room.

Cuts to scene 3 (estimated 47 seconds)

Characters: Yvette/Cania (Yovi), Yvette’s father (Arry), Yvette’s mother (Alika)

Setting:-

Location of shooting: -

Black screen with Yvette’s monologue playing in the background.

Yvette: My name is Yvette Gianna Giuseppina. I was born on December 25th, 1929, Atrani, Campania, Italy. Poverty has driven my family apart. My father became an alcoholic and grew increasingly unstable, while mother couldn’t take the pressure and her mental stability deterioriated quickly. She was depressed, and the both of them took out their sorrow on me. They lashed out, and I was the victim. Father passed away in 1942, and mother soon followed in 1944. I was devastated, but despite the fact that hate and sorrow was all that I had ever known in my adolescence, I still remember the sweet, sweet memories of my childhood, when both of them were still happy. Yes, there was a time like that once ...

Camera shifts back to the living room, showing Yvette’s father and mother having pleasant conversations together, while Yvette’s monologue continues in the background:

Yvette: They were very happy, and since they passed away, I was determined to recreate the same happiness that they once showed in their life. I had to do that, to mask my own sorrow, in a desperate attempt to feel, or at the very least spread an imitation of the happiness that they, and I once felt ... in their memory. So ... I became Cania the clown ...

Cuts to Scene 4

Background music playing:

Scene 4 (estimated 1 minute, 14 seconds)

Characters: Yvette/Cania (Yovi), Niccolo (Sholla)

Setting: In the streets

Location of shooting: Around Smpn 1 Malang

Camera is directed at the wall of a building that is facing the streets. Niccolo is shown crouching and leaning against the wall as Cania approaches him, skipping merrily.

Cania: Hi there, mister! What’s wrong? You are looking quite sad ... (while faking a frown as she crouches next to Niccolo)

Niccolo: Wait ... I ... I have heard about you! You’re Cania the happy clown aren’t you? Oh, thank God! Oh, Cania ... I have been looking for you! I’ve heard that you can make anyone happy!

Cania: Awww, that’s so sweet of you to say that you’ve been looking for me! What seems to be the problem, mister?

Niccolo: Well, oh God ... oh God ... (begins to cry) ... my father just passed away, and I’ve been a horrible, worthless, good-for-nothin’ kid couldn’t even make him proud when he was alive ... I can’t stand it ... I want ... I want to kill myself whenever I think about it ... Oh, cania ... please, help me ...

Cania: Awww, don’t be like that ... I’m sure your father loves you so very much, why are you thinking that way?

Niccolo: I was never present when he needed me the most, ever since he was sick. I was always too wrapped up with my Goddamn work ... and now, he’s gone and I don’t know how to apologize ...

Cania: Don’t ever think in a negative way like that ... I’m sure your father understands. He is in heaven right now, looking down upon your mourning, and I’m sure he’s not enjoying it. Trust me, he understands that you’re wrapped up with your job. I’m sure he was really happy to know that his son had become a successful happy person ...

Niccolo: I ... I ... (still sobbing) ..

Cania wraps her arm around Niccolo and takes out a piece of tissue paper and a flower.

Cania: Here, let me give you this as a gift. It’s beautiful isn’t it, the flower? Delicate, colourful, bright ... it’s shining with passion, and it grew into this beautiful piece of nature despite the death of its peers and all that has pollinated it ... it grew into this magnificent piece despite all of the storm that has tried to blow it over and kill it ... I’m sure ... I’m sure your father would want you to be like this flower. (Gives the flower to Niccolo)

Niccolo: I ... Oh, Cania, you are right! Dear God, you are right! Thank you! Thank you, so much ... (bursts into tears)

Screen slowly fades out ...

Background music:

Scene 5 (Estimated 2 minutes 11 seconds)

Characters: Yvette/Cania (Yovi), Niccolo (Sholla)

Setting: Streets, cliff

Location of shooting: Around Tidar

Camera  is directed at Cania as she walks down an  empty street, looking down at the ground, while her monologue is playing in the background:

Yvette: I tried my best to cheer up and motivate other people in order to spread the happiness like I said, to facade my own sorrow and pain, but ... it didn’t work. Even the most professional psychiatrist in town told me to see ‘Cania’, but she couldn’t realize that the sad, pathetic girl, drowning in depression who was her patient is Cania herself, in her true, miserable form. (background voice, monologue)

Camera shifts and focuses on Yovi’s feet as she stops in front of a steep hill.

 

Yvette: Perhaps it’s time I end it all ... I can’t keep turning my own frowns into smiles, my own sorrow into other people’s happiness ... I can’t do this anymore, for the pain in my heart is growing ever more, and the darkness of my soul can no longer be lit by the bright smiles of people whom I try to amuse. It’s time I close the curtain and end the show. Ladies and gentleman ... Cania the clown will be no more ... (while pacing back and forth, with both of her palms on her face. She is crying)

She then stops pacing, stands on the edge of the hill, stretches out her arm, and closes her eyes. The camera shifts to focus on her face as she takes a deep breath. Suddenly, a voice calls out her name from behind her.

Niccolo: Hey!

Yvette is startled and turns around. The camera then shifts, directed at both Niccolo and Yvette. They approach each other.

Yvette: Y-you’re ...

Niccolo: What were you doing, m’lady? Were you trying to kill yourself? Why in the world?

Yvette: I’m sorry you had to see that, mister ... but there are so many things wrong in my life. I can’t explain it all ..

Niccolo: Hmmm ... perhaps you can’t explain it, but whatever the matter is, you shouldn’t kill yourself. Trust me! I tried to kill myself once m’lady, but during that time I met a very special someone, an angelic hero dressed as a clown, who told me a valuable lesson ...

Yvette stays silent. Her lips move and her eyes widen, but she doesn’t say a word.

Niccolo then takes out a flower from inside his pocket.

Niccolo: She gave me this flower, and told me to be like this flower. It may seem silly, but ... hear me out, m’lady ...

Yvette is still speechless.

Niccolo: She changed my life with her words and her warmth. She told me that this flower still managed to grow beautiful and majestic despite-(interrupted by Yvette)

Yvette:-despite all of the storm that tried to blow it over and kill it. Despite the death of all of its peers and those that pollinated it.

Niccolo is genuinely shocked and surprised.

Niccolo: B-but ... h-how did you know? (stuttering)

Yvette: Your father passed away, and I met you once upon a time in a street, correct, mister?

Niccolo: It can’t be ... your Cania!? (Really surprised)

Yvette: Yes, mister, I am, or at the very least I was. My real name is Yvette, and after my parents died I became Cania the clown so that I could make other people happy and motivate them despite my own sorrow. You couldn’t see it when I was Cania the clown, but now, you’re seeing the true side of me.

Niccolo: This is so unbelievable ... no wonder your face and voice seemed vaguely familiar to me. I had no idea, truly! (in disbelief)

Yvette: I was just about to kill myself, mister ... but what you just said made me change my mind.

Yvette walks closer to Niccolo and takes the flower from his hand.

Yvette: You just saved my life. You saved me with your words. With your warmth ... and with the hint of hope I see painted upon your face.

Scene fades out. THE END

© 2018 Ian Titian


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on December 20, 2017
Last Updated on January 11, 2018
Tags: clown, classic, screenplay, movie script, script, short movie, movie, original, pagliacci, Ruggero Leoncavallo

Author

Ian Titian
Ian Titian

Malang, Jawa Timur, Indonesia



About
Art is what enables our eyes to see beyond what is visible. It can captivate our souls and make us realize how beautiful and majestic the world around us is, for there is so much to be appreciated tha.. more..

Writing