Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Catherine Frain
"

Chapter 2: "Change of Times"

"

It was late when I returned home from a museum event that I helped out with my grandmother. I was in a Civil War era dress and was sticky, as I had been floating around the museum for like five hours. It was a pretty full dress, with full sleeves and it reached down to the floor. Underneath the hem of the dress was my nicest pair of black heels, so this meant that my feet were killing me as I had not had the opportunity to sit down. I wandered over to the kitchen of my house, to find some food to eat. I was starving and I can not fully trust myself to eat in public as I walk, so no food.I grabbed a plate and got a slice of cake, some grapes, a few strawberries, an apple, and a glass of milk and a bottle of juice.

I headed upstairs to my room, where I set my food at my desk, sitting in my chair, and eating the food and drinking the liquid nutrients. I yawned as I ate and looked around my room, my gaze attracted to the glowing fire red numbers of my alarm clock. It was now 11:30.

“No wonder I am so tired,” I muttered to myself.

I finished eating and went to brush my teeth, leaving my outfit, on as I had to return in the morning. My hair was pulled into a tight cute hairdo, that was classic for ladies at the time. I loved it, and I learned how to do it myself. I returned to my room and it was about a quarter till midnight. My hazel eyes scanned around the eyes as I settled  back into the chair of my desk, I now had homework to complete. AP Biology, AP American History, and AP English made sure I had no social life. I set my mind to focus on the essay I had to write for AP English. About 15 minutes passed by without me noticing.

A shape moved just barely caught in my view to the side. I turned and I saw a girl standing beside my desk. My heart raced as I realized I was looking at a near reflection of myself.

The girl said, “Ma s�"ur. Cela a été une long moment. Tu me manquais.”

My mind recognized french and my thoughts translated it into, “My sister. It has been a long time. I missed you.”

I got out of my chair and crossed my arms. “Who are you? I don’t have a sister. I do not know you!”

The girl just crossed her arms and stared at me with a strange hazel eyed gaze. I shuddered slightly at the gaze but I gave her a hard eyed hazel eyed gaze that caused her to flinch. The girl started to speak, but what came from her mouth was not the answer I wished for.

“Take Catherine Rose Smith back, to May 23, 1861.”

My gut twisted and I gave a groan of pain as if a fist was driven against my gut. I held my stomach, as the room became fuzzy, and started to spin slightly. Maybe I was hallucinating. The colors around me swirled rapidly, going from the rainbow of colors down to a multi-shaded blue color. I probably fainted because the next thing I knew I was on the side of a road.

I was standing on the edge of a road, a dusty dirt road to be exact. In the distance I saw the smoke from a few blurry buildings. I crossed my arms, muttering under my breath.  I looked down the road that I stood by.  Trees were on both sides of it, deep ruts running down it. Grass grew on both sides of it and I sighed.

As I look around to catch the familiar sight of a power line or pole, I was happy to not see them, but I was also haunted by thoughts of how they got electricity if they did not have these poles or lines.  I went into my thoughts, as I waited to see if someone would pass by me. During the period of time in which I was encased in my thoughts, a family in a horse and buggy passed by me. The noise of hooves hitting the ground and the noise of the wheels creaking and groaning startled me from them. I looked up and I saw a nice horse and buggy.


© 2017 Catherine Frain


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
Added on January 31, 2017
Last Updated on January 31, 2017


Author

Catherine Frain
Catherine Frain

Omaha, NE



About
Welcome to my profile! I love to write as you can see- so feel free to write a review and check out the rest of my work. I am slowly posting stuff from my Google account here so yeah! I hope y'all kee.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Catherine Frain


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Catherine Frain


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Catherine Frain