The Party

The Party

A Chapter by J. F. Charleston

Dimitri pulled up to a glass building that was about fifteen stories high. Floodlights illuminated the area around the front of the building. A large “Dendron” sign was placed on top of the building, and men and women in tuxes and gowns entered the building. As Michael stepped out of the Range Rover, he noticed many guards on patrol and video cameras oscillating to catch a glimpse of the area.

          Michael proceeded down the red carpet that led to the revolving doors of the structure. The interior was slick and very modern. Flat screens and many photographs covered the gray walls of the corridors along with many people that chattered in little groups along the halls.

          Michael walked up a flight of stairs to a balcony that over looked a large clearing. The clearing had a stage on the far wall and was practically filled with more people. A large banner with Dendron’s name hung on the back wall by the stage. A podium was center staged. Michael scanned the level below and found Dendron socializing amongst some of his party guests. At his side was Agent Leonov in a dark red dress with many pieces of silver. Her eyes looked into his direction.

          “My sales production has grown by thirty percent since the last year”, Dendron boasted as Michael walked up to him. Dendron looked at Michael for a moment. His black hair was oiled and combed. His black tux was completed with a red flower clipped in the front pocket of his jacket and black bow tie.

          “Yes, it’s improved the war in the Middle East”, Michael commented on Dendron’s statement. A grin formed on his face. “I agree, Mr.…uh?”

“Anderson. Michael Anderson.”

“What kind of business are you in Mr. Anderson?”

“Private arms dealing.”

“Nikol, wouldn’t you be so kind to show Mr. Anderson to the balcony and then to my office after my speech?”  Dendron asked Agent Leonov.

“Of course darling”, Agent Leonov replied and took Michael’s arm. She led him toward the stairs and up to the balcony.

          “Nice cover”, Leonov said to Michael as he leaned against the railing. “A private arms dealer.” He ignored her words and focused down to the stage. Dendron reviewing his notes as the announcer spoke. “…Mr. Dendron!”

          “Thank you”, Dendron said as he stepped up to the podium. “How many of you believe that a diamond, like the ones on your jewelry, can become the most lethal and dangerous object? I guess not many. Well, it can. All thanks to many around the clock scientists that have been able to produce such the thing. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you… ‘Mstslav.’”

          Screens behind Dendron lit up to a blue-ish screen that had blueprints and videos of the tests of Mstslav. All the information about it was all there on screen. It included the minerals that are used and what it could be mistaken for; it can also be used in liquid form.

          “As you can see here”, Dendron pointed at the screen with a laser pointer. “Mstslav can be used to poison or rupture your enemies. By swallowing Mstslav, your foes will be terminated less than a minute. When Mstslav is used as an explosive, you can use a simple gunshot or flame to detonate, but on a large scale amount, Mstslav is placed into rockets or with remote detonation similar to regular C-4.”

          “Mstslav, the weapon of the future”, Dendron finished. Applause from the crowd thundered throughout the building. “Come on”, Leonov said to Michael as she walked away. He followed her down the stairs and down another hall. She turned down another hall and stopped in front of a set of doors that required an I.D. swipe. Michael read the nameplate to the side of the doors.

          “We can get through to the study through this room”, Leonov told him. She pulled out a card from the hand bag she was holding. The red light on the scanner turned to green and the door unlocked.

          When Leonov walked through the doors, Michael pulled out the silver lighter from the care package. The room was filled with the equipment to build Mstslav. “Do you think it’s a good time for a cigar”, Leonov asked sarcastically.

“No”, Michael said turning the lighter on its side. “Taking photos.” He pulled the ends apart until a set of camera lenses popped out. He focused the lenses on sets of blue prints and papers about Mstslav. Michael took more photos as Leonov kept watch of the doors.

          “Alright”, Michael said placing the lighter in his jacket pocket. “Let’s go.” Leonov led the way to the far end of the room and swiped the I.D. card and led the way into the study. Michael could hear Dendron about to walk into the room. He turned to one of the book cases that lined the walls, and pretended to find something to read as he waited.

          “Mr. Anderson”, Dendron pronounced as he walked into the room. Michael turned and faced him. “Mr. Anderson, what kind of weapons are you particularly searching for?”

“Anything that will overpower the U.S. Military and the UN and NATO forces combined.” Dendron seemed satisfied at Michael’s answer.

“Of course, of course… I believe my company can oblige you. Nikol will fill you in when and where we’ll meet.”

          Dendron walked out of the study, and when the doors closed, Michael turned around to face Leonov. “We’re getting closer.”



© 2013 J. F. Charleston


Author's Note

J. F. Charleston
Reviews are welcome.
Image from www.flickr.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's always getting so interesting. Great job~!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J. F. Charleston

11 Years Ago

Thanks. I'm not sure about it that, but what I can say is, it's tough not copying 007, but I suppose.. read more
Rhianne Ney

11 Years Ago

Oh, but you did a good job~!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 18, 2013
Last Updated on February 20, 2013


Author

J. F. Charleston
J. F. Charleston

TX



About
"Write from the brain and heart. Join them to create one great piece of writing." J.F. Charleston. more..

Writing