The passing of peace

The passing of peace

A Poem by Jeremy Baker

Peace must die, a sacrificial lamb.

 

Our way of life is worth too much, in profit terms, to allow for peace to reign. Unused weapons are useless weapons - their cost too great to display in some museum, to become just a memory.

 

They killed Christ, they killed Ghandi, and all we can do now is sing along to Lennon as we watch the war on TV.

 

Peace cannot be allowed to break out.

 

Peace is worth fighting for, the way Orwell foretold, except today it is via remote control and an iPod. How else can we re-elect presidents and balance the books, if not the budget?

© 2012 Jeremy Baker


Author's Note

Jeremy Baker
I'm experimenting here with free verse.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Blimey! I LOVE it hon!

Those who have always used the power of supposed "free speech" have always - how can I say this - met an untimely end ey?

Peace can happen, people need to realise it is about sharing love and light, healing the divide, not fighting violence with violence!

Great work love

xoxo

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the sarcasm in this. I know it isn't funny but couldn't help but giggle in a few spots because they were so "spot on". Excellent piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I still feel you on this piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


interesting perspective. The last war that accomplished peace was the one
that both parties got tired of waging.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
I'm back to learn from your awesomeness :) So I goggled free verse because I wasn’t sure what it was. I had a vague idea and it turns out that my vague idea was spot on. This is great! I think you're amazing...I've said this and it turns out you’re not a one hit wonder. Yay! The opening line is intense "Peace must die, a sacrificial lamb.” You waste no time getting straight to it and I was hooked from start to finish. Peace?! I'm starting to think it’s a figment of our imagination. ‘They’ made it up to keep ‘us’ occupied. We’re always fighting for peace while ‘they’ keep fighting wars. We always lose and ‘they’ always win. It’s like hope. Hard to define, easy to claim you have it and almost always impossible to prove its existence.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words and review, it was much appreciated =)
Some quite provokotive assertions here, the lived reality of war zones for communites are another matter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is pretty good. I find it ironic that people "Fight" for "Peace"

Posted 12 Years Ago


Absolutely love the second line. Sadly, its true.

I like your free verse...would like to read more...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Blimey! I LOVE it hon!

Those who have always used the power of supposed "free speech" have always - how can I say this - met an untimely end ey?

Peace can happen, people need to realise it is about sharing love and light, healing the divide, not fighting violence with violence!

Great work love

xoxo

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is such a horrid, haunting feel that moves in shadows throughout your work... how money now moves mountains and armies.. and how peace is only ever found at a price just a bit too high...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so amazing..
This line was perfect:"unused weapons are used weapons"
Perfect..

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1166 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2012
Last Updated on January 24, 2012

Author

Jeremy Baker
Jeremy Baker

Busselton, South West, Australia



About
I'm a former English & Literature teacher who has always enjoyed the magic, power and simple romance of words well written. My favourite writers include Pablo Neruda, Liam O'Flaherty, Anthony Eaton.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~Blush~ ~Blush~

A Poem by Robbie~xoxo~