The Work Of Withdrawal

The Work Of Withdrawal

A Chapter by Jack "DO NOT USE" Young

Cars shrieked to a halt, horns cried out indignantly, and I only glared in response as we crossed the busy street.

 

"You realize it wouldn't kill you to wait for the cross walk, right?" Alexa muttered behind me, jumping back and forth as each horn sounded off.

 

"They're cars," I growled. " They hit me and they get in more trouble than I will." Spinning on my heel, I turned to face her and began walking backwards. "Not only that, but how am I attracted to a coward?"

 

"Well excuse me for enjoying intact limbs." She hopped onto the curb with me and shook her hips playfully. "And why are you attracted to me?" That only earned a scoff in response.

 

"So where's this resturant you're dragging me too?"

 

"Just around the corner. Owned by some very charitable people, if I ask for some food, they always give me a nice meal."

 

"They give you a nice meal," I pointed out as we turned the corner. "What about me?"

 

She grasped the door handle  firmly and smiled innocently. "You sit outside and pray I come back with food."

 

"Or pray you come back at all." Came my grunted reply.

 

Alexa slid into the resturant to leave me on the curb, alone with my thoughts. Now that I think about it, why am I waiting? I could very easy snatch some money and get McDonalds or something. Perhaps I held onto the hope that we'd discuss last night over a meal. So much for that.

 

All I can really do right now is stare at this stage of a city or try to remember what happened last night. Might as well as attempt memory, oi? I went to find a bed but ran into a problem once I got into the house I targeted.  I discovered, much to a delighted dismay, a cabinet stocked with ridiculous amounts of liquor, and a girl. It was a stupid mistake to make, only topped by appearently getting drunk and f*****g her. I doubt it was her house; She was too careless about the little details, especially if she was drinking her parents liquor. An average teenager would have double checked ever aspect of the home before chugging vodka. Alexa just grabbed a bottle and invited me to drink. A sure sign of a cocky novice, probably just ran away from home. She puts too much faith on mundane idiocy. As for myself, I was tempted by means of the flesh, not drinks. Again, stupid.

 

A cluster of chrome garabage cans clattered into the street, a vile looking old man stood in their waking, appearing to writhe in his own skin. He muttered and guestered wildly, as if possesed. Another man, probably a friend, or more accurately, a traveling companion, reached for the mental old coot, only to recieve a flailed arm to the face. I watched as they wrestled patheticlly, knowing that this was the work of withdrawal. It was sad, darkly comical to me, but true.

 

Alexa walked from the diner with a content saunter. She carried a bag with a box, making me smile at the promise of food, the rumbling druggies forgotten.



© 2011 Jack "DO NOT USE" Young


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on April 20, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011


Author

Jack "DO NOT USE" Young
Jack "DO NOT USE" Young

Apopka, FL



About
I'm going to say this immediately. I AM NOT A POET. I AM NOT A PROBLEM SOLVER. I AM NOT EMPATHETIC TO WHINERS. KEEP YOUR COWARDICE AT THE DOOR. I DO NOT CARE FOR YOUR S****Y POETRY THAT YOU WROTE IN 2.. more..

Writing