No One Could Ever Take Your Place

No One Could Ever Take Your Place

A Poem by Boris Jonathan Novak
"

When you can't forget someone, and that someone to you was your everything.

"

 Today I woke up with you heavy on my mind -- it's nothing new. I thought of the first time we'd kissed, and how the entire world suddenly had meaning. I thought of the precious, flowing fountain of wonder you awoke in me; the way you made me feel; the way you placed me on a pedestal and loved me unconditionally like you did. I think of you today, my body quivering, because no matter when, no matter where, no matter how, no matter what... no one -- and I mean no one -- could ever take your place.


Today I walked alone. I went to our special place to think of you -- it's nothing new. I felt a warm breeze brush against my face as I sat staring at everything and nothing. I closed my eyes and imagined your gentle hand -- not the breeze -- caressing me, wiping away the crystalline tears that flowed like miniature rivulets down my cheek. Your ephemeral silhouette comforted me, and I reminded you that no matter when, no matter where, no matter how, no matter what... no one -- and I mean no one -- could ever take your place.

Today I watched a movie, not on the television, but on a blank wall -- it's nothing new. The projector in my mind played out our story: the love we gave, the love we took, the times we hurt, the way we trembled, and the way we shook; the hopes we had, the dreams we shared; the promises we made, the vows we swore -- the way we cared. And inside, my heart beat that familiar pulse -- no matter when, no matter where, no matter how, no matter what... no one -- and I mean no one -- could ever take your place.

Tonight I had dinner alone. No, I didn't eat a single bite -- it's nothing new. I stared solemnly upon the empty chair across from me. How futile again of me trying in vain to wish you there. But I can close my eyes and wish as I always do, can't I? I can replay from my memory those delicate words you spoke when you said, "I'll love you always and forever." And I'd reply softly into your ear, "no matter when, no matter where, no matter how, no matter what... no one -- and I mean no one -- could ever take your place."

Tonight I'll sleep alone. My soul will cry for you, and my essence will bleed of your memory -- it's nothing new. I'll remember your angelic arms around me, the warmth of your breath against my neck as we'd cradle each other, surrendering to the deepest of tranquil serenity. I'll reminisce of how we'd loved and what we'd said, and perhaps in your heart -- I'd like to think -- you'd felt that no matter when, no matter where, no matter how, no matter what... no one -- and I mean no one -- could ever take my place. 

© 2018 Boris Jonathan Novak


Author's Note

Boris Jonathan Novak
Dedicated to any of you who've ever felt it. If you have, you'll know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is one of the most heart-felt, touching, emotional, and beautiful things I have ever read. I love the repetition of "It's nothing new" and, of course, the title phrase. This adds a lot of feeling and emphasizes the loss. The interrupters in the sentences were also well planned, and they added to the thoughtfulness of the piece. Your imagery was wonderful. I actually felt like I was at that table eating dinner, or taking that walk, or watching that "movie." You made me think of my own losses and the times spent with them. Your diction was marvelous; the words were not only mature, but they were deep and personal. The similes, metaphors, and personification was well thought-out as well, and we very single one of them seemed to belong. I'm surprised you didn't bring tears to my eyes, because I know I sure felt like crying. The emotion, the love, the loss....purely intellectual. I'm adding this piece to my library. Thank you so much for sharing something so personal and beautiful with Writerscafe. You truly are an inspiration.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is certainly something I'm feeling at the moment! I haven't read someone's work and had it match almost EXACTLY what I was feeling at the moment in quite awhile. I'm going to add this one to my favorites: a very detailed, accurate and relatable expression of heartbreak and loss. Great work

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love besides hate is the deepest emotion, us humans can experience. What you wrote was beautiful, because no matter what we do, we are all faced with the same emotion, which was written well. I thought of my twin who died, and how many times I played a movie on an empty wall, to watch... if only for a time. We often take our hearts and try and conceal, but you have opened up to the basic human emotion... love. I think that anyone could read your work and understand it on so many levels. You are genius. Krystal Waters

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kat
That's probably one of the worse feelings to have....
This was beautiful though.
I especially liked the repetition found throughout it.
It really nails in the feeling of the poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thats beautiful..sooo heart felt. I have never lost anyone i didn't want to lose, so i don't know that feeling. truthfully i hope i never do, it sounds agonizing. fantastic poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMG this is so good, How sad to end a relationship when your still in love with someone.

Great write

Mia

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Indeed --- I know.
I love the images that the poem has... the essence of the void that is left after, at the start, in the middle. Everything in his poem shakes me.

Thank you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow...this really speaks about the lonlyness in ones heart after a devastating broken heart...I have felt that...you write from the heart I like that!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2652 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on May 30, 2009
Last Updated on August 29, 2018

Author

Boris Jonathan Novak
Boris Jonathan Novak

Home is where the heart is, CA



About
I love getting into "the zone" where the ideas keep flowing. It's like nothing else. I look forward to meeting other writers, sharing thoughts, and making new friends. To me, writing is the ultimate c.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..