More Memories

More Memories

A Story by Sarah
"

Just another little memory I recalled so vividly in a recent afternoon!

"

I remember driving home one night, to the big house in Golden, Colorado, and stopping just outside the garage. The paved driveway was black in the dark of an autumn evening and the sky twinkled with starlight- unmarred by streetlamps or city lights. Only a tiny triangle of Denver showed through the mountain pass behind me as I threw the volume dial on my car radio to the right with a swift and careless thrust. Stepping out into the blackness with my jazz clothes still donned after a class, I danced a wild rhythm to the night.

 

A solemn and curious face soon poked out from a window above--my step-father working late in his office. Surrounded by his fat tomes and the collection of foreign figurines he brought back from across the sea, he was silent as he watched. But his eyes met mine for only a brief interlude as I stag-leaped over a crack in the asphalt and twirled away, not to be dissuaded by his prying gaze. After a moment's pause he disappeared again, no doubt recognizing the futility of any attempt to halt my wild discourse with the open sky.

 

I leapt and spun; all of my motions unplanned until my body dived into them. There was no intellect to it, no boundaries in space, form or music. Long after the first faded away I was only dancing on to the next; the next movement, next song, the next poised position held for a breath and a note before dashing intently away. Not a joyful dance exactly, but an intensity of motion that swept me off to a place in heart where time had no meaning, and the soul of a dancer flew free.

 

 

© 2008 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha yay for dancing randomly! :D
It's quite interesting indeed... one thing that sort of sets me off is your step-father's gaze; was he, like, mad at you or something? hmmmm....
anyway, jazz is pretty cool, even though I dont really listen to it... well, unless Fiona Apple songs are jazz, which they could be... a nice piece, you did well in describing the way you felt and what you were doing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 14, 2008

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Westminster, CO



About
My name is Sarah (obviously) and I am 20-years-old. I've been writing poetry since I was 12, but my real ambition is to be a young adult fiction writer. I love getting reviews, especially when they're.. more..

Writing
Confidence Confidence

A Story by Sarah