Drop 02: Monday

Drop 02: Monday

A Chapter by JakeAStrife
"

Back to school...

"

DROP 02: MONDAY


My eyes were crusted shut. I swiped my hand across my face, clearing the gunk, and stared up at the ceiling of my bedroom. Each of the posters stared back at me, some depicting dark unicorns, others with morbid skeletal firebirds, and then, of course, those with dire wolves, and other fanged beasts. There were my friends, and no one else.

"Why does life suck so badly?" I whispered, wiping my eyes once more.

Morning light came in through my heavy drawn curtains and the babbling of a brook through the open window. The air felt fresh on my skin, which meant another maybe not-so-hot day in Crimson Wharf.

My head rolled the other way, and I looked at my dragon alarm clock, which took the shape of a spiked, winged dragon. More than once, I'd stabbed myself rolling over to turn it off. Eventually, I'd stopped setting the alarm and gained a pretty accurate internal clock.

I watched the seconds tick by for a few minutes until it turned seven o' clock. School would start in forty-five minutes, which meant I needed to get ready.

Sitting up, I glanced at the mirror and found my eyes red and puffy, and dried snot under my nose. I sighed and walked into my bathroom, turning on the warm water in the sink. After a few moments, I dunked my head in and rubbed my face clean. I pulled back and examined myself in the mirror. My blonde roots were coming back in. I'd have to get another dye soon, but where would I get the money for that?

I didn't bother showering, even though I felt gross with the remnants of salt water clinging to my skin. Showering sucked. In fact, water sucked. I took off the gross nightgown and changed into a long skirt, combat boots, and a tight dark t-shirt featuring a big black panther. If I wore such morbid clothing, hopefully, people would just leave me alone.

I snatched up my backpack from my computer chair and slung it over my shoulder. Before I left the room, I stopped and put my forehead against the door.

"When you see Michael..." I whispered. "Act like nothing ever happened. It was all just a nightmare."

The last thing I wanted to do, would be to lose the only person that SOMEWHAT cared about me. I slipped from my room and silently closed the door. My dad had probably passed out somewhere around the house, but waking him would be awakening a rageful grizzly bear.

I tiptoed down the stairs and glanced into the living room. Nothing. I glanced the other way and into the kitchen, and found the b*****d. Dad lay sprawled on the floor, an empty bottle of whiskey just within reach of his fingertips. I shook my head and decided it best to leave him like that. In the entry hall, I found the front door wide open.

"Nice to know any axe-murderer could come in and kill us in our sleep." I sighed, but then wondered if that would be a blessing. "Pregnant!" I scoffed as I left the house. "Michael, you don't have enough sperm!" I shut the door behind me but didn't let it click.

With that, I walked across my yard, hopping from stepping-stone to stepping stone as I did since childhood. Back then, my mother would watch me and cheer me on. My mother...I sighed and shook away the thought. I didn't need to feel even more depressed. She'd died nearly a decade ago.

I hopped from the last stone to the edge of the street and almost tripped, but caught myself on the mailbox. A quick glance around allowed me to see no one had spotted me. Not a soul in sight. Which seemed unusual. I checked my watch; a quarter after seven.

"Where are your jerk wad?" I asked, looking up and down the street for Michael's jeep, but didn't find it. I stomped my foot. "You're going to make me late!"

Even though I hated school, I kept up my attendance and grades for the most part. I'd never been late to school. I fished my cell out of my backpack and swiped it open. The battery level sat at ten percent. Crap, I'd forgotten to charge it overnight.

With a deep sigh, I pulled up Michael and hit call. It took several seconds with the bad reception, but finally, it rang.

I tapped my boot and glanced at my watch again. A faint tune caught my ear. It sounded like my school's alma mater. My face screwed up in confusion. As far as I knew, only Michael had that ringtone.

I slowly turned my head to the driveway, and I felt even more confused. Michael's jeep sat parked in my driveway, the same spot as from the night before.

"Michael?" I ran over to the jeep and looked inside; empty except for Michael's cell, sitting on the passenger seat. It rang with a picture of me on the screen. Worry hit my heart and spread through my veins. Only for a moment, though. It came to mind that he'd been drinking the night before. He only lived a few miles away, so he probably just decided better safe than sorry.

"Maybe you're not so stupid after all." I shrugged. "You're lucky; I care about you." I reached inside and grabbed his phone.

It would be a mile walk to school, which meant I needed to hurry. Michael had likely already gotten there.

By the time I came within a few minutes of the school, my feet ached. I'd probably gained some blisters from my mad power walking.

"Ow, ow, ow!" I muttered after each step.

I walked onto the concrete path leading to the school entrance. My watch told me the time; 7:45 am. I'd made it with fifteen minutes to spare. I breathed a sigh of relief and walked the curved path until the entry stairs came into sight.

Standing at the bottom, I spied a figure in a hoodie. Given the lithe, short form, it had to be a girl. She seemed rather awkward, standing there in flip-flops, and skinny jeans. She shifted from one foot to the other, staring at the doors, as if waiting for something.

I walked by, and without looking back, said, "You'd better hurry up and get inside. There are only fifteen minutes until the bell."

"Wait," came a smooth voice.

I wanted to hurry inside and ignore the girl, but she compelled me to stop.

"Yes?" I turned back.

Her face remained hidden by the large hood, as she held onto the straps of her backpack. She didn't say anything else. Had I imagined things?

"Did you say something?" I asked.

"Y-Yes," she stammered. "I want to ask you a question."

I tilted my head. "Oookay...What did you want to know?"

"Is this Crimson Wharf High School?" she asked.

I looked over at the sign standing next to the stairs. It clearly named the school.

"Um...yeah," I said.

The girl nodded. "Good, I'm in the right place."

"All right, well I have to get to class and--"

"Please don't go just yet."

I frowned. "What's wrong now?"

The girl took a few steps closer, never looking up. "I'm new here, and I can't...get inside."

My brows furrowed. "Sure you can...Just come on in."

I could only see her lips, which spread into a broad smile. "Thank you."

With the roll of my eyes, I turned and walked inside the building, holding the door open for the strange girl. She walked by without saying another word. I watched her walk down the hall, and the way her hips swayed, I felt captivated to watch. Finally, she walked around a corner, and I felt free once more. "What an oddball!" I whispered.

Now my watch gave me ten minutes to get to class. I needed to get to my locker, which thankfully stood right next to Michael's.

I rushed down the hall and reached the row of poppy red lockers at the end of the first floor. I stopped at mine and turned the combination lock three times, Six-two-seventeen. My locker popped open, and I rummaged inside, grabbing my spare phone charger, and my chemistry book. I hated chemistry, and that of course, would be my next destination. Slamming it shut, I hopped down a few columns and turned Michael's combo lock. Five-ten-six.

I pulled the locker open. A pile of junk fell out of the locker, and I barely managed to dodge before anything landed on my feet.

"Gosh, clean up once in a while, dude!" I said.

I kneeled down and picked up some books, and saw a pair of feet walk past. Glancing up, I spotted the girl from earlier, walking away once again.

"Hey!" I called out as I stood and shoved Michael's books back into the locker.

She stopped but didn't turn around.

"Are you looking for your class?" I asked.

"Um...maybe?"

I shoved Michael’s cell phone into his locker and closed the door. "You said you're new here, right? Which class are you looking for?"

The girl reached into her pocket and pulled out a small slip of paper. As I watched her, I hoped she would say Chemistry. Maybe we could sit together, and possibly even become friends.

"U.S. History," said and my heart sank. Why had I even thought of something so stupid? The universe wouldn't allow me to have friends.

"With Mr. Gulla?" I asked.

"Yeah." She still didn't turn.

"It's upstairs. First room on the right. He's a great teacher; you'll really like him."

The girl gave a strange giggle. "Okay, thank you, Kyrie!"

She jogged down the hall, her flops slapping the floor with each step. I watched her go again, and after she turned up the stairs, something dawned on me.

"How did she know my name?" I wondered aloud.

I bit my lower lip, trying to figure out. No one knew my name. The teachers barely even knew.

The loud warning bell rang, meaning I had only a few minutes to get to class. I spun on my heel and ran to the Chemistry classroom. As I made it, Ms. Nile stood by the door, watching me. She narrowed her eyes as I closed in. I almost thought she would shut the door in my face, locking me out, as per the policy for tardy students.

I squeezed by her, and the door shut a split-second later. At the front of the classroom sat the only open seat. I muttered a curse as I took it, and pulled my Chemistry book from my backpack.

Ms. Nile walked to the front of the class and leaned against her desk. "Now, everyone, as I failed to mention yesterday, this is now regular chemistry, not Advanced."

Everyone cheered, and I sighed with relief. I'd failed Advanced Chemistry the year before.

Ms. Nile continued. "But guess what, everyone? I've decided, that with God as my witness, I'm going to make this class harder than Advanced Chemistry. Every one of you will accept God into your studies, and you WILL pass with a perfect grade. If a single one of you fails to do so, none of you will pass this class. I will give you all an 'F.'"

My jaw hit the desk, and everyone in the class now groaned.

"You gotta be kidding me!" one guy in the back said.

"No, I am not!" Ms. Nile said. "I am a God fearing woman, and I'll whip the fear into all of you."

Inside my veins, my blood boiled. If I couldn't pass an advanced class, how could I pass this one? Furthermore, religion and public schools were meant to be kept separate. I didn't know which made me angrier, but taking one look at the teacher's smug face, I exploded.

My chair flew from beneath me as I jumped to my feet. Ms. Nile opened her mouth to say something, and she probably did, but I stormed out of that classroom, taking my backpack with me.

I walked down the hall, heading towards the Counselor's office. If I didn't get moved from that class and into another, I would never pass my junior year of high school, and I would fail at life forever.

Just as I made it to Counselor's office, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I stopped and retrieved it. A text message from Michael sat on the screen.

'Come to the girl's restroom on the first floor.'

My heart skipped a beat. Michael wanted to do something. I usually would never have given in to his lustful ways at school, but with the anger in my veins, I decided to say eff it.

I turned from the office and headed back toward the girl's restroom. During my trek, I had to pass the Chemistry room again, but I ducked under the window, so no one would see me pass.

I made it to the restroom and pushed inside.

"Michael? " I asked.

I got no response as I walked all the way to the back. "Are you in here?"

After checking under each stall, I found no one hiding and waiting for me. Annoyance built on top of my anger.

"Michael, if you want this, you'd better get your a*s in here!" I glared at my reflection in the mirror.

Hanging my head, I sighed. A hand landed on my shoulder, and I screeched. When I spun around, I found a figure standing before me; the hooded girl.

She took a few steps back as I said, "You scared the s**t out of me!"

A grin spread across her red lips as she pulled back her hood, revealing a head full of shaggy blue hair.



© 2017 JakeAStrife


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on August 8, 2017
Last Updated on October 29, 2017
Tags: vampires, romance, love, death, suicide, LGBT, depression, horror


Author

JakeAStrife
JakeAStrife

Pittsburgh, PA



About
Greetings and salutations! :) I'm Jake A. Strife. Currently, I'm the author of 19 books. Also, I'm a huge anime and video game fan! My Original Novels: Dark Dayz - 1 - VR Dawn Dark Dayz - 2 - .. more..

Writing