Barrier

Barrier

A Poem by Just Jayren

No

Simply no

 

Looking into my palms, with much uncertainty

while being overwhelmed by a sense of anxiety   

 

My hands feel like a cemetery

all cold and filled with heartache and sorrow

no amount of internal screaming

will wash away the shroud of stubbornness and impulse

 

So many words spoken instantly followed by regret

Unable to keep focused on any glow, any potential, any smile

 

Yes

Yes my arms are aching for keeping the world at arm’s length

Yes I will ensure that they stay there

 

But no, I am not heartless

© 2012 Just Jayren


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
S
'...my arms are aching for keeping the world at arm's length' like this poem very much :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is really good. Experience can hurt, so much sometimes that we ourselves harden from the inside and distance ourselves, not to completely block out the world but to dilute the emotions that come with it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Loved the wisdom and the way you have skillfully managed to express your feelings, the sense of despondency, and voiced it in such a beautiful manner. I completely agree, sometimes we are forced to make barriers, afraid that speaking will hurt others, and that does not mean that we're heartless, mostly, it's doing the right thing. Sometimes we're too experienced with sorrow and pain that we can't risk again, sometimes it's not a sign of weakness, rather, just the intellect speaking. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dear Jayren,

I found the poem to be quite touching. My only problem is this line: "My hands feel like a cemetery....." The words following it don't flow. How do the hands feel like a cemetery? I understood the "cold" but "heartache" and "sorrow"? Maybe that word should have been funeral to make it better.

Other than that, I like the title and the reflection of the poem according to that title. I feel as though I were a person in a spiritual battle between the world and the heavens. At the end I feel a sense of mercy when you say, "But no, I am not heartless." Well, that's my view anyways. You portray a cut scene that is short, but vivid enough to show a meaning.

Thanks for sharing!

Sincerely Livana Lowell (LL)

God bless

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very well expressed thoughts and emotion here on a very relateable subject. Sometimes it is easier to keep people/the world at "arms length" even if it makes you appear like a loner/etc. Enjoyed the read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


emotional and Strong wording. i love it

Posted 11 Years Ago


"So many words spoken instantly followed by regret
Unable to keep focused on any glow, any potential, any smile"
I like the many strong statements in the poem. Leading the reader on a careful journey of thoughts and emotion. Sometime being wise is consider heartless. But it is not. Thank you for the excellent poetry.
Coyote



Posted 11 Years Ago


Good poem, this. I love how it starts with one simple word - "No". I like the obstinate tone of your lines, filled with resolution yet you give reason for their delivery in such a manner. Good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well described. I liked your style and phrases. Not heartless but a gurded heart from too many attacks perhaps.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sad but not heartless...well written ...

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012

Author

Just Jayren
Just Jayren

London, Lewisham, United Kingdom



About
For those who are wondering, yes Jayren is my real name. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Photograph A Photograph

A Poem by Priya