Chapter 1: The Slayers Ball-The Summer 1605

Chapter 1: The Slayers Ball-The Summer 1605

A Chapter by Jessica Danielle
"

It's about time I write more to this. For a preview of later in the book read my Slayer Expert.

"

I stood laughing with Clarisse beneath the grand marble staircase. We surveyed the ballroom. The Slayer's Ball was held once every two years. And it was always grand, sophisticated, and beautiful. Phillip approached us, smiling.

"Phillicia," he said brightly, taking my hands in his. "May I speak to you alone dearest  sister?"

"Of course!"

Phillip and I looked alike in almost every way. The same deep blue eyes, the same face, the same wheat gold tresses.  We walked out on to the balcony. It was less crowded than the ballroom.

His eyes showed endless excitement.

"What?" I asked intrigued.

"Guess who's here!" He whispered excitedly.

I took a minute to think about it. There was only one person that could bring him to this current state. "No! He's here? Robert is here?" I shared his excitement. I too had always wanted to get a look at this legend.

"Yes!! He is here! Oh dear how wonderful this is. I've idolized him my entire life and I have finally gotten to meet him!" He pulled at his hair.

I felt a surge of jealousy. "I want to meet him," I said in a child like manner.

Phillip gazed at me stupidly. "Why?"

"Just introduce him to me! But in a nonchalant type way," I commanded him.

He gave me that, I-don't-know-what-your-up-to-but-I'll-go-with-it type looks. "Alright," he replied and took me by the arm. He steered me through the ballroom, back to under the staircase. There stood the legend, alone and brooding beneath the staircase.

I put on my most 'not-caring' face.

Phillip released my arm and approached him.

"Excuse me, Mr. Helsing?" Phillip said kindly.

Robert looked up to see Phillip. "It's Van Helsing. What do you want?" He asked very unkindly.

My heart sank. This was not going to go over well.

"I wanted to introduce my sister to you, sir." Phillip stood waiting, oblivious to his idols rudeness.

"Well?" Robert said. "Are you going to introduce me to her or not?"

"Oh!" Phillip said embarrassed, "yes, of course!" He turned to me and motioned me forward. He turned back toward Robert Van Helsing. I stepped to his side. I got a better look of Robert. He had combed back hair, the ends looked like the they refused to stay down though. His eyes were a beautiful shade of ocean-at-daybreak-blue. His clothes were a little worn, but he made them, look good.

"This is my sister," Phillip said to him, "Phillicia, this is Robert Van Helsing."

I extended my hand toward him. He took my hand and kissed the back of it. He looked into my eyes and very slowly released my hand. "You wouldn't happen to be the same Phillicia that's been causing an uproar with the elders. . .would you?" he asked and smirked at me.

I gave him the most heart eating smile I could make. "The very same."

"Walk with me?" He offered me his arm. Without hesitation, I took it.

"Of course." As we were walking away, I turned back to see a look of admiration in my brother's eyes.

We walked out to the empty balcony together. We stood at the edge of the balcony, looking over the railing.

"I admire you," he said to me in a business like tone.

"Me?" I asked surprised. Never in my wildest dreams would  I even think the great Van Helsing would admire me.

I looked at him and his eyes were glued to mine. My cheeks turned scarlet from the way he was looking at me. He smiled and chuckled.

He leaned back against the pillar we were standing next to.

"When I was your age, I obeyed the elders. But you. . .you defy all the rules. You're starting a movement. Young Slayers everywhere are standing up and speaking against the elders. You do what you think is right," he folded his arms across his chest, "just like I do."

I leaned back against the railing, my hands were clasped together in front of me. I gave him a smirk. "Mr. Van Helsing-"

"Call me Robert."

"Robert, what are you getting at?"

"You are starting a rebellion. I want to be at the head of it."

"I have no idea what you are talking about, sir."

He came forward and put his hands on either side of me, blocking any escape. "I think you do." His face was inches from mine. "And I want in."

It took me a moment to remember how to breath. "The elders don't know."

"Don't they though?"

I could feel his breath on my lips.

He could feel me reacting to his closeness. His hands wrapped around my waist. His face got closer to mine. "If you are as much as a rebel you seem to be, you will let my be at the head with you."

"With. . .me?" I asked a little dazed.

He pressed his lips to mine. Slowly, I pressed back. I closed my eyes and let him pull me close to him.

Then I felt it. Something was wrong. I pushed him away and wanked his sword from his belt. He looked at me startled.

"What he Hell are you doing?"

"Quiet!"

I surveyed our surrounding.

"The Ball's going to be ambushed," I said to him in a sort of trance.

"Drop the sword."

I let it clatter to the ground. He grabbed my arms. "Who's going to ambush the Ball?" He looked into my eyes.

I shook my head. "I don't know. . ." Robert placed his hands gently on either side of my face. I placed my hands upon his chest

"Phillicia!" Garrett shout my name as he came running towards us. He looked at the way we stood together.

"When is it going to happen?"

"Any minute. They're rushing up on us right now."

Garrett stopped beside us. I looked at him, his face was filled with anger.

"What the Hell is going on?" he asked, angry. "Why are you touching her like that?"

I looked at him confused.

"Why are you so concerned about it?" Robert asked him. "And that's not what's important right now." He let his hands drop from my face. He bent down and picked up his sword.

"I want to know what the Hell is going on here!" Garrett shouted, he was steaming mad now.

Robert grabbed him by the neck and pulled him close. "Do you know who I am boy?"

Garrett struggled, fear now showed in his eyes. "No."

"Well I think you better learn fast. Because I deserve more respect than that."

"Who are you sir?"

"I'm Van Helsing boy."

Garrett's eyes widen. "I'm so sorry, I won't cause you disrespect again."

"And the lady? You won't question her actions?"

"No sir! Never!"

Robert let him go. "Inform the elders there is going to be an ambush."

Garrett stood there for a moment looking stupidly at Robert. His hands on his neck.

"ARE YOU STUPID?" Robert yelled at him. "Go and do what I said!"

Garrett ran off.

"Your partner I assume?" Robert asked me.

"Yes."

He offered me his arm. Very timidly I took it. He quickly led us through a different door from which we came through.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"This is a perfect time to start planning for a rebellion. The elders eyes are on something else."

"Yes but. . . how are we going to organize it?"

"Ha. This is why you need me." He patted my hand. "You need a veteran to lead a rebellion...a revolution. You need someone to guide you. To help you along. You are young, and you have a lot to learn."

He lead me down stairs. after a few moments he spoke again. "He's in love with you."

I glanced at him. "What? Who is?"

He chuckled at me. We were hurrying down a long corridor. "Your partner. He's in love with you."

I was quiet for a few moments. "Garrett is not in love with me. He can't be in love with me."

He looked at me. "Do you know why they partner men with women? Have you ever seen same sex partners?"

I thought about it for a moment. "No. Why is it like that?"

"So we can breed and make more slayers. The connections already there. Why connect with someone else when that connection already exists?"

"My god. You're right. But. . .they should let you fall in love with who ever you want. Not force you together like that."

We went out a door. We were walking on a path. We reached a steward. "I require my horse."

The steward bowed his head, "of course sir. Right away sir." He rushed off.

Robert turned and looked at me. A quizzical look on his face. "Obviously, your affections are not returned to him."

"I believe I should be allowed to fall in love with who ever I want."

He was quiet for a second. "Are you in love with someone right now?"

I blushed and turned my face away.

He put his fingers on my chin and turned my face toward him.

"You barely know me and you're in love with me."

I was quiet. He leaned is face down o mine and kissed my lips. He pulled back.

The steward was coming up to us leading a large gray dapple gelding. Robert helped me in to the saddle then mounted the horse himself. I could hear the sound of screams starting to fill the air.

"Are you sure about this? Don't you think we should help them?" I asked him.

"No. This is our chance to start organizing the rebellion."

He pointed the horse toward the dark forest. And we left the other Slayers to fight for themselves.



© 2011 Jessica Danielle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So juicy and so interesting! Ooh i think someon and someone else are going to be an item (Robert/Phillicia) Who knew the legendary Van Helsing could be so demanding lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yes, very interesting indeed! I love this, a wonderful piece of work, nicely set out and worded, brilliant. Keep up the good work, mortal~~

Posted 13 Years Ago


Credit for graphics goes to Deianeira.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 21, 2010
Last Updated on March 8, 2011


Author

Jessica Danielle
Jessica Danielle

Land O Lakes, FL



About
3 oh 3 - follow me down mp3s Free MP3 Downloads Credit for graphic goes to prospero @TDA more..

Writing