20 Miles

20 Miles

A Story by Jeff
"

This is based on a true story. I actually did drive several thousand miles to be with this woman.

"

20 miles to Pensacola, Florida.


I've been on this journey of sorts for ages it seems. With the exception of bathroom breaks, and a three hour nap in some small town in Missouri, I've been driving almost non-stop. I've gone through Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama on my journey. Why you might ask would someone just get in the car, and head off on a trip that would span several states, and thousands of miles? Two words, a girl.


That's right, a girl. Not just any girl, but the woman I want to marry. The woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. See she moved down to Florida a month ago. Since then I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. I know I want to spend the rest of my days staring into her eyes, and I want to show her just how much she means to me by driving thousands of miles with no planning or anyone knowing where I'm going. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? That's probably because it is. I've never done anything this crazy before and I doubt I ever will again.


Two months ago, she said she was leaving. She had said that before. She had said that many times before, actually. She always came back though, and I thought she would come back this time as well. It became reality when she left one night and didn't come back. I called her, begged her, and said all sorts of things to get her back. Not all of them were very nice, and I won't repeat them here. Let's say I was desperate to keep her from leaving me. She did want me to go at first. I don't know if she said it just because she thought she should or she actually wanted me to go with her. Either way I decided to stay back at home. Stupid, right? Here's this beautiful woman, who for some strange reason wants to be with me, and she asks me to move down to Florida. So I tell her no, I'll be staying in Iowa. Feel free to slap me the next time you see me.


So here I am driving down miles of highway with one person on my mind. I have no clue what I'm going to say to her, either. She doesn't know I'm coming and hasn't heard from me in a few days. She's going to think I'm insane for driving down here with no preparation or letting anyone know where I'm going. What would you think if your ex, kind of current boyfriend/girlfriend showed up at your door in the middle of the night? Yeah that's what I thought.


Did I tell you that I've been driving all day on three hours of sleep in two days? I've been on the road for eighteen hours straight and I'm drained. I pull onto a road and almost drive into a car. I stop inside a convenience store for a couple of Red Bulls to give me the energy to make the last twenty miles to Pensacola, Florida. While sitting outside my car after downing one red bull. A couple of guys ask me if I'm alright as I'm pouring some water over my head. I told them I was fine, just tired. They advised me to stay at a hotel that was across the street. I thought for a second that that would be a good idea and I could always find her tomorrow. But I couldn't wait. I had to see her tonight. I had to wrap my arms around her waist. I had to see her sparkling eyes and see that smile that lit up my days for four years. I had to see her tonight, and I wasn't going to stop until I was at her front door.


I swear the last twenty miles are the longest forty minutes of my life up until then. The road is pitch black with no lights and surrounded by trees. It certainly gives you a claustrophobic feel while passing through. I'm kind of glad it's pitch black or I might be getting more of a “Deliverance” feel to the area. But if my car breaks down now. No telling who or what is sitting out there in those woods. I won't be squealing like a pig though. That's for sure.


The trees start to clear and city lights are up ahead. The sign on the side of the road says “Pensacola next right.” My heart skips a beat when I read that and I know I'm going to find out if all of this was for nothing. I pull onto the highway entering Pensacola and at two in the morning it's deserted. The closer I get to her exit, the more nervous I get. I actually miss her exit once and have to double back, but I find her apartment. I sit outside and knock on her door but no answer. Her car is out in the parking lot. So I knock a bit louder, still nothing. I drive down to a Circle K and put a Quarter in the pay phone.


She picks up and I tell her I'm in Florida. I tell her I'm down the road under a red circle with a K in it. At the time I didn't know it was called Circle K since we don't have those in Iowa. She tells me, she'll be waiting for me outside. I hop in my car and drive back to her apartment. And there she stood, long brown hair, beautiful eyes, and that smile that I'll never forget. And that is how I'll always remember her.

© 2010 Jeff


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow... i want to read more... I want know what happens next??
You are so brave to drive so many miles for this woman, it showed how much you wanted her, needed her... I got a tear in my eye now...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great great story! please tell me there will be a part 2!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Excellent, you got my attention!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Poetic Voice is Announcing the first Poetic Voice Cash Prize Contest for Poetry. Awards will be given to the writers who submit for consideration the most outstanding poems within the context of Poetry and Word Art.



http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
. jeff, you are a rocket and this is a rocket write ... and you did right by taking a chance ... i am suddenly reminded of a film called good will hunting ... and the way it ends ... and that dialogue ... "it's about a girl" ... spectacular writing and spectacular thoughts and actions too ! ... :) ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


s**t, I want to know more!!!! I've even looked on a map to follow your trip, as I don't remember well my high school lessons concerning United States (shame on me). But s**t, sorry I'm too curious about the course of events!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 18, 2010
Last Updated on November 18, 2010

Author

Jeff
Jeff

Ankeny, IA



About
I'm old and I'm the most awesome person ever! I'm not serious at all about that. I got married last year to a wonderful woman who is the most beautiful woman in the world. I'm also very big into.. more..

Writing
Red Stone Red Stone

A Story by Jeff


Out Run Them Out Run Them

A Poem by Jeff



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Life Persists Life Persists

A Poem by Jeff


Forbidden Fruit Forbidden Fruit

A Poem by Jeff


still air still air

A Poem by paul