Broken Promises

Broken Promises

A Story by Jennae Matzner
"

A short story I'm thinking about making into a chapter story ... About heartbreak, summer flings, promises made and promises broken .. Enjoy ! (:

"
    When I first walked into that room, three different smells hit me. First, my Aunt Shelly's Alfred Sung perfume; strong and over-used, just how she likes it. Second, the overpowering scent of flowers, which were in every inch of the room. And third, him. He was everywhere, his smells circling around me like a cat on a mouse. It made me sink into the uncomftorable wooden chair I was perched on, I felt him in the room, I felt his eyes burning aching holes into my back and head. I wanted to scream and run out those grey and white stripped doors. But I stayed there, sitting on the chair and smiling at the on-coming friends and family.

My sister and I never saw the concept of marriage, so thats why it amazed me when she annouced four months ago that she was getting married. I didn't even know she was in a realtionship. She had the biggest s**t-eating grin I had ever seen plastered right on her tanned, freckled face and called the family up for lunch, which right then I knew something was going on. Just as I was chewing my first salty fry, she told us the news, saying that she was getting married and she was sure it was going to work. She was inlove she said, in a gross mushy voice. I nearly chocked on my heart-attack causing fry. Her and I both once said that we'd never belong to someone other than ourselves and that love usually ended in heartbreak, which really did; for me anyways.

     I still was mad at my sister for inviting him. I was mad at her for getting married, for leaving me and falling inlove. I was just altogether mad.

     "Him" was Jared. Him and I were "together" I guess you could say this summer. Like I said, my sister and I promised never to fall inlove, but she was 10 and I was 6. I was a seventeen year old being told by a guy that she was special, that someone loved her other than her family. I felt special and wanted, I felt amazing.

        Since everything isn't always as good as it seem, it all came to a sudden halt right at the end of summer, three days before my sister got engaged and told my family and I at Donnies Pizzaria. He still smelled the same; like cinnamon and denim, and just a hint of something else. That was the scent that I barried my nose into the whole summer, grasping onto every scent his clothing gave off.I was inlove. I was also very, very stupid.

I could see my cousin, Mary, turn around in the seat beside me to look at the person entering the bench behind us, but she quickly whipped around and became quite interested with the tips of her fingers. Confused, I slowly turned around, only to see the face I was trying to stay far away from all summer. No wonder that smell was so god damn close. His eyes flashed up to reach mine, and it was suddenely summer again. His gorgeous blue eyes ate away at mine, but I turned around before he could say a word. I felt caustraphobic, and I felt the sudden urge to get out of there and die in a hole. If only life were so easy.

"He's with someone else you know." Mary whispered in my ear. Mary always had the impulse to make you feel even worse then you did, and she always followed those impulses. "I heard she was pretty."     

"Good for him." I looked down and then back up, trying to focus on my grandad, who was siting beside my Aunt Shelly.

Mary snorted and replied, "I know your hurting, Claire, and you also know I'm hear to talk. And besides, it was just a summer fling. Get over it."

I breathed in a long breath and sighed. "I know, lets just enjoy the wedding, shall we?"

"Yes we shall." She said, and turned to look at my approching sister in her white gown.

Like Mary said, it was just a summer fling. And like I said, love always ended in heartbreak. Always.

© 2011 Jennae Matzner


Author's Note

Jennae Matzner
This is my first thing I posted on here, so send me some advice and honest critical views please (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on June 28, 2011
Last Updated on June 28, 2011

Author

Jennae Matzner
Jennae Matzner

Valleyview, Alberta, Canada



About
I have been writing for awhile now, and am hoping to make a career out of it. I love to read and write, listen to music and hang out with friends. I am quiet, but I am very loud around close friends. .. more..

Writing
Pain Pain

A Poem by Jennae Matzner