Chapter 3: The Example

Chapter 3: The Example

A Chapter by Jeremy Jefferies
"

Jackson is getting tired of waiting to get answers and decides to demand them.

"
It was midday. Everyone was going about their usual business in the settlement. Jackson, the man denied an audience with The Founders, sat in his house contemplating what to do.

"I could just walk up there and demand an audience." He said, thinking out loud. But something like could have serious consequences. He knew he couldnt try the magistrate again. He would not be denied again. His anger boiled up from the pit of his stomach. Making his face red and his pulse increase. He was done with being scared and made his decision.

After taking a few drinks from the alcohol he received from a trader in the area, he made his way towards the center of the settlement. He started drawing people in by screaming and yelling. "We should not have to be grateful to people we barely see!" He screamed at the top of his lungs.

The magistrate made his way to the front of the crowd. Trying to quiet Jackson, had no effect on the look of shock on the settlers faces. They have opinions but kept them to themselves due to the fear of persecution.

Realizing that he would not be able to make Jackson stop, the magistrate tried to handcuff him. But before he could get the handcuffs out, a loud booming voice came from the north end of town. Sounding like icy wind, the voice said

"Stop."

In the blink of an eye, The Founders stood directly behind Jackson and the magistrate trying to restrain him.

"You requested an audience?" said the tallest of the three men standing behind him.

Whipping around, shocked by the voices behind him, "Y-y-yes. I did." He said slowly gaining confidence as he spoke and the alcohol kicked in.

"Jackson, is it?" Said the tallest.

The look of confidence turned to horror as he spoke. "H-how did you know my name?" The Founders all chuckled.

"We know the names of everyone who has been, is, and will ever be here." "And we do not play child's games." Said the shortest of the three men standing before him.

Common word of mouth stated that the tallest Founder was Galileo, the smallest founder was Dante, and the founder in between was Aristotle.

"I want answers!" Jackson said trying to regain his confidence. Galileo's look of irritation turned to complete infuriation.

"Answers to what questions?" Aristotle stated, speaking for the first time.

Jackson began to speak when Galileo interrupted him mid sentence. "We have one rule here in Hazelton." The crowd went completely silent. "Be grateful." Jackson's face turned bright red.

"I'm tired of being grateful!" Jackson screamed while pulling out his gun. The settlers gasp with shock. The magistrate barreled toward Jackson, dead stopping himself when the gun was pointed his way. He put the gun back on The Founders. "I want answers!" "We will have a meeting in your cottage immediately!"

The Founders looked at each other and outwardly laughed. "You dare try to control us?" Aristotle said with a slight aggravated tone. "We will not."


"We'll see about that!" Jackson said as he looked down the sights of his gun, pointed at Galileo.

He placed his finger on the trigger and pulled. The crowd became loud and began screaming. When Jackson reopened his eyes after firing, he stood dumb founded. Aristotle was standing directly in front of Galileo. His hand was creating a wall of blue light. The still hot bullet laid on the ground smoking. Everyone stared, shocked with awe. Jackson, most shocked of all, stared in disbelief. "H-h-how?!"

Aristotle spoke "How dare you! Attacking a Founder is a death penalty in this settlement! You will pay!" He began to raise his hand, making Jackson drop his gun and flinch.

"Stand down, Aristotle." said Galileo "Step forward, Jackson."

Jackson, looking quite a bit scared, shook his head. Refusing to step forward out of the crowd of people.

"I said step forward." Galileo said flexing his index finger towards himself. Jackson started walking towards them. But it was not his usual walking. It was creeky, stiff movements. It seemed as if with the movement of his finger, Galileo was controlling him, making him walk towards the trio of founders.

"Jackson, the repercussions for attacking a founding member of this society, is death." Galileo said with a gleeful tone in his voice. Jackson looked as if he were trying to say something, but could not open his mouth to do so.

"Do you wish to speak?" Jackson nodded his head. "Then speak." Aristotle spoke with a hint of aggravation in his voice.

"Why are you doing this?" Mumbled Jackson as if it hurt for him to speak. All three men standing before him smiled.

"In a society, there must be order. A society without order, isn't a society at all. It would be a bunch of animals. I will not have anyone question our generosity." Dante stated turning towards the frightened crowd. "Do we not take care of you? We keep the crops growing. We keep the radiation out. We gave you the will to live!"

"Dante, make an example of our dear Jackson here." chuckled Galileo as Dante began to walk towards the groveling man standing before them.

Dante looked into the man's face with pleasure, as he pleaded for his own life using only his eyes. Dante hovered his lips directly in front of Jackson's. A white smoke-like essence began to flow from the mans mouth. Jackson's hair started to turn gray and frail. He was aging years by the second, his skin wrinkled, and his body crumpled to the ground. Dead.





© 2016 Jeremy Jefferies


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on June 29, 2016
Last Updated on June 29, 2016


Author

Jeremy Jefferies
Jeremy Jefferies

New Freedom, PA



About
Hello! My name is Jeremy Jefferies. I live within the cosmos as we know it. My writing includes poems and post-apocalyptic short stories. I'm currently working on a small "book". And by "book", I mean.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5