The Trickster

The Trickster

A Chapter by J. Espedal
"

prologue

"

Trickster God

Judith Espedal


The Trickster


  The God of Fire and Thievery sat on a high lonely crag somewhere in Iceland. Below him a volcano that thrust through a glacier spewed lava and black smoke into a twilight sky. Lightning flashed within the lava spumes. Where the lava flow met the river of ice a hissing, a loud cracking, a sputtering could be heard. The view recalled that time when the primordial abyss first gave way to Muspelheim and Nilfheim, when fire and ice was all there was, and maybe in that place it was somehow true again.


  He sat on that dark projecting rock, brooding. His amber eyes glowed and flickered like embers. His bright red hair, blown by a cold wind, flared about his handsome face like flames. When he spoke out loud, though there was none to hear but himself, his voice hissed like the lava and ice below.


  “Someone is trying to trick the Trickster. Someone is framing me for a theft I did not commit.”


  Now Loki has committed many a theft, too many to tell of here. And the tricks he has played on others have been retold by many a poetic skald. But he did not care much for being the victim of someone else's trickery.


  “When I find out who is behind this, someone's head is going to roll.”



© 2015 J. Espedal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very intriguing story idea but I have a question, is this the same Loki from Norse mythology, the one who is part frost giant? I ask because In Norse mythology, Logi, Loge (Old Norse "fire") or Hálogi ("High Flame") is a fire giant, god and personification of fire, and wondered if you had mistook one for the other?

Posted 8 Years Ago


J. Espedal

8 Years Ago

It depends on which version of the myths you use. Many, including quite a few Asatru, now consider L.. read more
J. Espedal

8 Years Ago

It was not a mistake, but a choice. It was simply more fun to consider him a fire giant.
J. Espedal

8 Years Ago

since Loki is always controversial I thought it appropriate to post some of my sources for this most.. read more
Now I've started at the beginning. Great intro and I definitely feel an interesting story ahead. I love the mythology already in the beginning, and I was interested in the story begging in Iceland because I've been there. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 12, 2015
Last Updated on October 12, 2015


Author

J. Espedal
J. Espedal

OH



About
I am a grandmother who has been writing short stories off and on for quite a few years. I would like to share them with friends - and anyone else who is interested - on the internet and this seems the.. more..

Writing