The Faerie Lord

The Faerie Lord

A Chapter by J. Espedal
"

Chapter 2 of Trickster God

"

The Faerie Lord


  Faolan mac Doitean, Lord of Taigh Dubh and Ruler of the Northlands, sat eating a large noontime meal in the small dining area where he liked to entertain guests when he wanted to converse in private with them. His favorite Hob opened the door to the chamber and bowed.


  “Sir Ailein McDiarmot and the Lady Rua ni Doitean to see you, Tiarnas.”


  “Please, see them in.”


  Lord Faolan's two computer experts, the fair-haired son of the McDiarmot lord and his intended, Lord Faolan's own cousin's daughter whose red hair was so like that of his own, entered and bowed. Sir Ailein's blue eyes and Lady Rua's dark ones glowed in a manner that told him the news they brought would not be to his liking.


  “So, what do you two have to report?” he said without asking them to join him, a lack of hospitality that was unlike his usual behavior.


  “First the good news, Tiarnas,” Sir Ailein replied.


  “By all means let us have the good news first.”


  “The new investments I've made for you are doing well and will soon recoup some of your loses.”


  “You mean the new investments I recommended,” Lady Rua said. “He wants to invest in such risky ventures you'd soon lose it all did I not intervene, Tiarnas.”


  “Without risk there can be no great profits,” Sir Ailein protested.


  In spite of his anxiety over the not yet disclosed 'bad news' a smile tugged at the corners of Lord Faolan's mouth.


  'Yes their betrothal is for political reasons. But I was also right that they are good for each other. Her prudence holds back his impetuousness and his risk taking keeps her from being too staid and over careful.'


  “So...the bad news...”


  Sir Ailein handed him some computer print-outs. The lord glanced at them and then gazed into the younger Sidhe's eyes.


  “Sir, we have traced the embezzled funds to a computer within the Nine Worlds. The location moves about so I believe it is on some laptop or iPad, but the site is registered to your Sire, Tiarnas.”


  Lord Faolan's eyes flared with anger.


  “His own son! Can't say we've been all that close through the millennia but he's always been fair with me. So why does my father steal from me now when I've given him nothing but respect?”


  “He is the Trickster,” Lady Rua pointed out.


  Sir Ailein and Lady Rua were among the few who had been told the truth of Lord Faolan's parentage, though rumors abounded.


  “Some fathers believe that what belongs to their children also belongs to them,” Sir Ailein pointed out.


  Lord Faolan sighed.


  “Perhaps, though he has never thus mistreated me before. Send emails to the two human lasses that proved themselves so good at solving the mystery of who did the embezzling. I may wish to meet with them again.”


  Sir Ailein refrained from reminding the lord that it was his own hacking skills that had uncovered the identities of those in his own household who had done the actual embezzlement. One of them was dead. The other two had been sent back to their homes, one to the French Fae land of Chateau de Printemps and the other to Alfheim, in disgrace.


  “I will send the emails, Sir,” was all Sir Ailein said when Lord Faolan had told them what he wanted them to say.


  Sir Ailein and his intended bowed and left the room to carry out his commands.




© 2015 J. Espedal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the combination of kind of real world aspects and the mythological world. It's a great idea!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on October 12, 2015
Last Updated on October 12, 2015


Author

J. Espedal
J. Espedal

OH



About
I am a grandmother who has been writing short stories off and on for quite a few years. I would like to share them with friends - and anyone else who is interested - on the internet and this seems the.. more..

Writing
The Trickster The Trickster

A Chapter by J. Espedal