Welcome to the Team

Welcome to the Team

A Chapter by Jester

James opened the door to the head of the department’s office. Through the frosted glass on the door he could make out two figures sitting in the room, one in front of the desk and one behind it. James took a deep breath as he walked into the office, trying to calm his racing heart and stay level headed.

 The woman’s, the one sitting in front of the desk, eyes were closed and her short reddish brown hair was falling about her face in complete chaos. The white tank top she wore left little to the imagination as the army print pant hung low on her hips, leaving a sliver of her toned stomach to be seen by his questing gaze. The hem of the pants were tucked into what looked to be a pair of army style combat boots, scuffed and slightly frayed from constant use. Her skin was fairly dark, a beautiful brown color, the same tone as coffee with cream. She held an empty scotch glass in her hand, her wrist slightly bent from the height as she lightly held it. Something about the vibe the woman was emitting set James’ nerves on edge, and the hairs on his arms and the back of his neck stood at attention.

The man sitting behind the desk was also holding a scotch glass, though his still had a little bit of the alcoholic beverage in it. The head of the department, at least that’s what James assumed, had dirty blond hair that was probably about an inch long. His eyes were open and staring at James, the electric blue color piercing deep into James and judging him for everything he was worth. The department head looked like he was in decent physical condition, with a hint of lean muscle, like that of a cyclist or a swimmer. His face was cleanly shaven, not a hint of a beard or goatee on his slightly youthful face. This man was also sending out a dangerous aura, though nothing compared to the woman’s.

“So, you’re James Taylor huh?” The man’s voice rang out loud and clear in the silent room, and its message caused the woman to lift her head from where it had hung slightly. Her eyes slowly opened and she looked over at James. His body involuntarily stiffened when his dull blue eyes met her brilliant green ones and a flash of fear went through him as she stared at him. Deep inside his psyche a long forgotten instinct that had protected man from the beginning of time told him to run from this predator that was sitting just a few feet from him.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity in his fear, the female predator broke the gaze that had connected them and looked at the man behind the desk. The two seemed to communicate silently for a moment before the woman sighed and looked back at him for a moment. Suddenly seeming irritated the woman motioned impatiently for the man to refill her scotch glass. The man chuckled silently for a second as he opened the cork and poured her a few fingers of scotch into the previously empty glass. The woman angrily snatched back her hand and sipped at the alcohol currently occupying her cup.  James finally remembered his army training and snapped off a picture perfect salute.

“Major James Taylor, reporting for transfer to the Department of Foreign Affairs.” His voice was strong as he stated one of the lines that had been beaten into his mind after 12 years of army duty. The man sitting (or rather lounging) behind the desk smiled encouragingly at him, and motioned for him to take a seat. James sat down stiffly in the chair next to the woman (it was the only one available) and absently noticed that her nails were painted black.

“Please James, relax a little. I’m not going to bite you.” The man smiled at him again, trying to make James feel more at ease. “My name is Amond Farthin, and as you’ve probably guessed I am the head of this department.” Amond seemed to notice James’ slight glances at the woman next to him. “Ah, yes. The woman next to you is Jack. It’s not her real name of course, but many of the people that you’ll be working with prefer to use nicknames and aliases instead of their given names. Jack’s full codename is Jack the Ripper.”

“As in the serial killer from the turn of the century London?” James looked at Jack, and a shiver ran up his spine as he realized that she was smirking at him.

“Ya got it right in one Boy Scout, congrats.” Jack’s smirk grew as she noticed the frown James grew at the nickname that she had bestowed upon him. “Get used to it Boy Scout, cause till you earn my respect, you aint gonna be called nothing else.” Her smirk exploded into a full blown grin as she watched the reaction to the statement.

“May I inquire as to who I will be working with Department Head Farthin?” James fell back to the military training and formal addressing in the uncomfortable situation. Jack threw a look at Amond, one that James couldn’t understand.

“You’ll be working with squad 13 James. And please, call me Amond; all this department head Farthin business makes me feel old.” Amond smiled at James again, and he began to relax some. Amond looked at Jack and seemed to tell her something with his eyes. Jack raised one of her eyebrows slightly in question, then closed her eyes and concentrated when Amond nodded.

“How many people will be in squad 13?” James asked, wondering who he would be working with exactly.

“There are 4 other people in this squad besides you.” James absently noticed that Jack had opened her eyes again and was listening to what was being said. “There’s the twins, Shiva and Bast, both in charge of reconnaissance and scouting, with secondary in healing. Then there’s Mello, who’s in charge of frontline fighting, with secondary in computer skills. Then there’s the captain of the squad, who’s in charge of assassination and computer skills, with secondary frontline fighting. And then now there’s you, and you’ll be put in charge of whatever you do best.” Amond looked over at James to see how he was taking it all.

James sat in a daze. What kind of place was this? Reconnaissance, scouting, and frontline fighting he could deal with, after all he’d done those things before, but assassination? This was the United States government! They didn’t condone assassination, they couldn’t!

“I understand this must come as a slight shock to you, but the Foreign Affairs department isn’t exactly the most normal part of the government. We have authorization from the president to commit assassinations on foreign persons if we feel that they are an extreme threat to the country and the government. I’m sorry it’s such so abrupt, but I thought that General Laurek would have told you some of what it is we do… and are.” Amond’s voice was sympathetic about the feelings that James was going through, though he hardly noticed what it was Amond had hesitated in saying. Finally it dawned on Jams what Amond had said.

“W-what do you mean, what you are?” James’ voice gathered strength as he came to terms with what it was that these people, and soon he himself, did.

“James… Hardly anyone in this department is human.” Amond stated softly.

“That’s impossible.” James’ was confident that he couldn’t be wrong. “There is no way that all those people out there,” he gestured to the room outside the door, “Aren’t human.”

“You are right. Those people out there are human. It’s the other 85% of the department that isn’t human. Out there is the Foreign Affairs N sector. What you’re going to be a part of is the ES sector.” Amond had gotten up out of his chair and was looking at the frosted glass, when he suddenly turned and looked at James. “You will deal with the supernatural and the things that go bump in the night. You will be forced to kill people, maybe human, maybe not. You have to deal with it James. General Laurek recommended you because we desperately need people to help protect the humans out there that know nothing about the creatures that dwell in the shadows.” He abruptly turned back to the door and looked at the people in the room beyond through the frosted glass. “I am running out of options James, which is why I had to ask General Laurek for men who he believed could deal with this and protect people. Human lives are depending on every member of the ES sector, and we need help. If you truly believe that you can’t do what I’m asking of you, then I can have you transferred back to the regular army, and you will have all memory of this erased.” Amond kept his back to James as he talked, and Jack shifted in her seat next to him, obviously uncomfortable with the direction the conversation was going.

“…No. I’ll stay in this department, and I’ll help you. “James voiced the statement slowly, and he couldn’t help but feel that everything he knew was about to change. Amond turned around and looked at James with a look of pure relief. At that moment, James felt that everything he would be going through just might be worth it. “One more question though sir.” Amond looked at him in question. “Just who is the leader of squad 13?” Jack grinned.

“That would be me, Boy Scout.” James looked over at her and silently shuddered at the look on her face. Jack’s grin grew impossible wide. “Welcome to the team.”

S**t.



© 2008 Jester


Author's Note

Jester
Haha Boy Scout. Also, the image isn't James, it's just like the only thing that I could find to kind of describe this chapter in picture.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOL Boyscout xDD
It should be james! Write more, mind slave! MORE!
MIND CRUSH! *crush*
I enjoyed it! lol boyscout... he should have been BINKY BOY! >:3 Good job with this! I look forward to the 3rd chapter.. Soon... *intent stare in your general direction*

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh... love it!!! I want to read MORE!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 4, 2008


Author

Jester
Jester

Imagination Town



About
Hi, my name is Abby. I enjoy reading, listening to music, hanging around with my friends, and writing poetry/short stories in my spare time. I have several friends who are great artists and I might tr.. more..

Writing
Come Children Come Children

A Poem by Jester


One More One More

A Poem by Jester