Nightmare (2)

Nightmare (2)

A Chapter by Johnzo
"

Trede's dark dreams will give him no rest.

"
The lights.  I see the lights again.  Some look so familiar this time I could almost name them.  The waves come and go, crashing and shimmering through the lights.  It’s rhythm is steady.  The lights wax and wane, pulsating and fading with the waves.  A light approaches me, coming closer and closer.  I see a door.  I place my hand on it.  I try to listen for something.  A strange sound in the distance… but it’s coming closer. 

The sound is growing much louder.  I can hear it through the crashing waves.  A fight…  Someone is attacking!  I can hear voices yelling, screaming, the clang of metal and… fire.  Explosions and fire, it is not safe here.  I look away from the door, I can see only darkness behind me.  I feel I must stand and fight.  I have to… I have to protect something… or someone.  I grab a blade and go outside. 

No…. 

No I don’t want see it! 

The carnage…  I can see the death and mayhem all around me.  I want to run, but I need to fight.  I try not to let the fear grip me.

I look around, I see the marauders.  It’s dark out, between the flickering light of the burning buildings and crashing of the waves I see a man.  He disgusts me.  A madman, a killer.  I have to stop him.  I run at him from behind, but he doesn’t see me.  A blade in between his ribs and he falls.  The blood runs off my blade.  There are more men, more murderers.  I must stand and be the protector.  That is my fate now. 

I run down the dirt street, the light of a burning building showing the way in the black of night.  More voices yelling and screaming.  The waves are getting louder… almost drowning out the voices.  It’s harder to see.  I wince when the waves crash, my pace slows.  It’s harder to move, but I press on against the bright shimmering waves. 

I come across 2 more madmen, I want to fight them off but… my head… the waves come crashing down.  My head aches… I can’t see straight…  I stagger and lean against a nearby building. The smoke of the flaming building burns as I inhale each breath.  I hold my head.  The men… they see me.  They are coming at me.  I must stand and protect… someone.  Why can’t I remember?  The waves are so loud.  I can only make out… two silhouettes… I must stop those killers…  but the sound is unbearable… stop it!  STOP!  I must…

The lights disappear.  The waves are gone.  I wake up.



© 2010 Johnzo


Author's Note

Johnzo
Another 1st person present tense narrative from Trede's point of view.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
Added on January 24, 2010
Last Updated on February 22, 2010


Author

Johnzo
Johnzo

Bridgton, ME



About
For more info on my little world, visit: www.echowake.com -Latest post: 2nd Draft Preview My favorite stories are usually ones that have a bigger world behind them, a story behind the story that.. more..

Writing
Nightmare Nightmare

A Chapter by Johnzo