Acute Global Food Insecurity

Acute Global Food Insecurity

A Story by Joram- Article Writer
"

We know that a peaceful world cannot exist one-third rich and two-thirds hungry.

"
According to a report by World Food Programme (WFP), an estimated 345.2 million people in 79 countries are suffering acute food insecurity in 2023, more than double the number in 2020. This number comprises a mind-boggling rise of 200 million people compared to the levels in the pre-COVID-19 times.

The global food crisis has mostly impacted countries in Africa, Central Asia, Europe, South Asia, Latin America, and North America.

It is worth noting that worldwide food price inflation has escalated acute food insecurity, either at crisis or worse levels. This surge in food prices is a major factor exacerbating the state of food security, especially in developing or low-income countries.

Several factors have escalated the global unprecedented global food insecurity, including Russia’s invasion of Ukraine over a year ago. This invasion has led to global shortages in food, fertilizer, and fuel, contributing to a surge in food prices.

These conditions are worsening the global food crisis. Other factors include the adverse economic outcomes of the COVID-19 pandemic, humanitarian and conflict crises, and climate shocks.

Conflict is still a significant contributor to global food insecurity. A report by WFP states that 70% of hungry people in the world live in war-afflicted areas. Furthermore, the situation in Ukraine proves that conflict is a driver of food insecurity as it wipes out people’s income sources and causes economic shocks.

Climate change is taking an active role in the rising global food insecurity. How does it affect the state of global food security?

Global warming influences weather patterns leading to heavy rainfall (El Nino), drought, and heat waves. The already high levels of global food insecurity might spiral out of control if we do not take relevant climate action.

Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change
The United Nations General Assembly established 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in 2015. SDG 13 is ‘to limit and adapt to climate change.’ It aims to “take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact.”

Along that line, the world needs to take immediate action to counter climate change and its effects, primarily on food security. For many, global warming is expected to affect the affordability and availability of food security.

Since the climate is linked to sustainable development, people in low-income countries will be among the most impacted and least able to cope with the anticipated economic and social shocks.

How can agriculture adapt to climate change?

The global food system (the way food is produced) accounts for about one-third (30%) of global greenhouse emissions, immensely contributing to climate change and global warming. It is also the number one contributor to biodiversity loss.

Reducing these emissions requires major technological, economic, and social change. Here are some salient approaches:

Soil Health Improvement: This involves increasing organic matter like organic carbon in the soil. It helps the soil retain water and nutrients and makes water readily available to plants, increasing drought resilience.

Notably, nutrient retention reduces the use of chemical fertilizers, which are a major source of greenhouse emissions. Using diverse crops in the rotation cycle is known to improve soil health as it supports a more resilient and complex soil ecosystem.

Conscient use of manure, pesticides, and chemical fertilizers: This will help reduce the emission of nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas. It has a higher global warming potential than carbon dioxide.

In addition, cost-friendly inhibitors should be implemented to regulate nitrogen processes in soils.

Overall, global agencies/organizations such as the World Bank, WFP, and FAO are trying to address climate change, thus improving global food security. For instance, the World Bank Group has an established Climate Change Action Plan (2021�"2025) that aims to adopt policies and technical measures in agriculture to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve resilience and enhance productivity. These sustainable farming practices can help farmers manage their land effectively. Relevant stakeholders should take immediate action to provide food relief to the affected people, especially in war-torn and low-income countries.

© 2023 Joram- Article Writer


Author's Note

Joram- Article Writer
I'll appreciate your comment on this special issue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change
Every country Urbanization is promoted. What is the role of gardener and a farmer in urbanized society? Traditional method of faming; healthy seeds , including campaign on population reduction is really a nessessity for healthy future earth.

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joram- Article Writer

8 Months Ago

With urbanization, farming has to incorporate technology and advancements to apply strategies like r.. read more
Arundass TP

8 Months Ago

Thank you friend for writing necessary information.
Joram- Article Writer

8 Months Ago

most welcome



Reviews

Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change
Every country Urbanization is promoted. What is the role of gardener and a farmer in urbanized society? Traditional method of faming; healthy seeds , including campaign on population reduction is really a nessessity for healthy future earth.

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joram- Article Writer

8 Months Ago

With urbanization, farming has to incorporate technology and advancements to apply strategies like r.. read more
Arundass TP

8 Months Ago

Thank you friend for writing necessary information.
Joram- Article Writer

8 Months Ago

most welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
1 Review
Added on September 7, 2023
Last Updated on September 7, 2023

Author

Joram- Article Writer
Joram- Article Writer

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya



About
Professional Article Writer| I help blogs, websites, and magazines create engaging content about Productivity, Personal Development, Technology, and Finance. more..

Writing