Xue

Xue

A Chapter by JoshiDx
"

Xue is not just the leader of the Mountain Druids. She is also the most powerful Druid in all of the world. But sometimes even all the power in the world isn't enough...

"
“This is the place.” 
An Elf draped in an indigo cloak stood at the mouth of the mountain cave that overlooked the valley below. Her long black braids blew in front of her dark eyes as the wind whipped at the rocky precipice. Clouds were gathering above in an ominous swell that spread across the sun. 
Behind her a young Elf in a pine green cloak shivered. “What do you think we’ll find in there Xue?” 
Xue turned her gaze from the cave to the valley below. “I don’t know Tarlas. But I’m sure whatever it is you can handle it.” 
“I’m not so sure about that Xue.” 
“Nonsense.” Xue looked Tarlas hard in his eyes. “This is the perfect test of your abilities. I have great faith that you will prove you belong among us.” 
“But we don’t even know what’s in there.” 
“Exactly.” Xue smiled. “A Druid must be ready to face the unknown. Nature is unpredictable and unforgiving. You must accept this and be ready for anything.” 
“But what of the dead in the village?” 
Xue hesitated. “We can’t be sure that this is related…” 
“But if it is?” 
“Just… be ready for anything.” 
Xue crept into the cave, her eyes piercing through the veil of darkness. In a shadowy mist she saw the rough outline of the rocky formations that burrowed deeper into the mountain. So far all was quiet. Her feet shifted over the dirt below her, scarcely making a sound. 
“Do you see anything?” Tarlas pressed behind her. 
“Silence, Tarlas. We must stay…” 
A faint rumbling shook inside the mountain. At first it seemed distant, as if from deep within the cave. Then it reverberated again, closer and stronger. For a moment all was silent. Then a dark, nasty growl unlike anything Xue had ever heard before echoed from within. 
Xue turned back to Tarlas. “Stay still.” 
Kneeling to the ground Xue pressed against the wall. Her handcrafted armor blended with the rock, perfect camouflage in the mountains. Ahead in the darkness the rumbling resounded closer than before. The growling continued. 
Tarlas trembled. “Xue…” 
Xue put her finger to her lips. “Stay very still…” 
Drawing her scimitar from its sheath Xue snuck deeper into the darkness. Focusing her thoughts she felt her skin begin to toughen as she mentally recited the first spell her mentor had taught her those many years ago while she was still a new recruit to the Druidic order. Even now when she cast it in total stillness she pictured his face, calm and serene, intertwining magic and nature with practiced technique. 
“Xue!” 
Tarlas’ shrill cry broke her focus. Out of the darkness flew a long, distorted snout with jagged teeth. The teeth snapped at Xue’s face as a putrid scent emanated forth. Xue dodged a series of bites that crunched at her face. A fierce roar rang out as a sharp claw swung forward. 
“Chidim pang!” said the creature in a deep, grating voice. “Traynad anayr!” 
“Chi pang!” answered Xue. “But you do not.” 
“That… that’s hell-speech!” said Tarlas. “It’s a demon!” 
“Stay calm Tarlas,” said Xue. “It’s all right. We can handle this.” 
The creature bellowed in the darkness, its voice shaking the very walls of the caves. “Chidim pang! Traynad anayr!” 
Tarlas drew his sword and shrunk back. “What is it saying?” 
Xue’s grip on her blade tightened. “It says we do not belong. It wants us to leave… now.” 
“Maybe we should listen?” 
“No Tarlas. We must rid the mountains of this beast.” 
Xue swung her scimitar at the snapping jaws before her. The edge of the sword sliced into what seemed to be skin. A harsh roar shook the cave as the creature lashed out at Xue with both of its claws. Xue ducked under the claws and swung again, slashing one of its arms.
"Back to Bydiras with you beast!” 
Xue stepped away from the wall, trying to maneuver around the beast. The beast looked as a shadow in the darkness of the cave, yet it seemed to be made of flesh and bone as far as her scimitar had been concerned. Her blade glinted blue in the dim cavern air as it flew down at the beast’s head. Just as she was about to land her blow the beast lurched forward, driving both its claws into Tarlas’ chest. 
“Tarlas!” 
Xue plunged her blade into the back of the beast’s head, but it was too late. Tarlas collapsed on the ground. As Xue rushed towards him the beast grew dark, as if it was pulling all trace of light from the cave. Xue reached for Tarlas in the pitch black. 
Suddenly an explosion of light flooded the cave, filling every crevice with a blinding flash of red. Xue grabbed at her eyes and stumbled to the ground, dizzy and disoriented. As she pressed her hands to the ground to stand again she felt warm, wet rock between her fingers. Tracing the blood across the earth she found Tarlas, shivering and cold. 
“Tarlas…” 
Tarlas grabbed her arm, pulling her close. “I… I’m sorry I failed you Xue.” 
“No Tarlas… I failed you.” 

Back in the village Xue retreated to her room at the inn. The villagers were relieved that the murderous beast that had killed so many was gone. Yet all Xue could feel was regret. She had never lost a student before. Since she had become leader of the Mountain Druids, she had never lost anyone. Today everything had gone wrong. She closed her eyes to meditate, when a knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. 
“Go away,” said Xue. “I’m not seeing anyone right now.” 
“Xue I heard what happened and I’m sorry,” said a familiar voice. “But you and I need to talk. I learned something today that may change everything.” 
Xue hurried to the door and pulled it open. Outside a middle-aged Gnome in white robes smiled up at her. 
“It’s good to see you again Xue.” 
“It’s good to see you too Zahra. Please come in.” 
Zahra climbed onto a chair in the corner of the room and turned to face Xue. Her face was grave as she began to speak, her voice soft but intense. 
“I was at the site in Cysgod today, searching for that study I told you about. We had finally discovered something, when the most fascinating thing happened…”


© 2014 JoshiDx


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on February 20, 2014
Last Updated on February 20, 2014


Author

JoshiDx
JoshiDx

Iceland



About
I decided to break down and write something here. Too bad I don't know what to say. What's there to know about someone who doesn't exist? Even if words capture the essence we are still at a loss for w.. more..

Writing
No Longer Me No Longer Me

A Poem by JoshiDx