Azali

Azali

A Chapter by JoshiDx
"

Joy may be her biggest enemy.

"

It was a gorgeous day in Afondri. The sun shone down on the three rivers that flowed into one at the center of the city. The air was warm but not too hot. Flowers had begun to bloom, and the trees were budding with beautiful spring blossoms. The chirping of birds rang from the trees.

Azali hated it all.

“Too much life,” she frowned as she rose from bed. “Today the sun hides death in its veil of deceit.”

Standing before the mirror at her room in the inn, Azali streaked grey ash across her black skin before drawing tear marks on her cheeks. Her long, messy hair hung like a shadow across her shoulders. She began to put on her armor; black metal plates tied together with fabric dyed bright blue, like the color of ice.

Black and blue were the only colors Azali loved anymore. Black was like the eternal darkness of death. Blue was like the ice of frozen rivers, the stopping of a powerful force. They were reminders that life is only temporary. Death is inevitable.

Azali nodded as she meditated. “Today Afondri will want for the coming of death.”

Azali cringed in the brightness of the sun as she stepped out of the inn. All around her Elves were going about their daily routines. Some were headed to market, some were going to work, and others were just enjoying the wonderful day. It was sickening really, how full of life and energy everything seemed. Azali hated cities, but it was the best place to carry out her work.

As soon as the Elves noticed Azali they began to retreat and recoil. Movement in the street came to a crawl as silent stares paired with glares and quiet murmuring. Azali strode through the open avenue that appeared on the street as the crowd swept aside for her to pass through.

“Death is inevitable!” she shouted, her face twisted into an ugly scowl. “Quit toiling for happiness and embrace the course of nature.”

“Go back to the caverns,” called a voice from the crowd.

Azali’s eyes flew wide with rage. Her fingers began cackling with energy as she prepared to unleash a spell upon the entire crowd.

“Who said that?” Azali’s voice seethed with rage. “Who said that?”

An Elf wearing the uniform of a city guard captain stepped forward, his hand quivering over his hilt.

“Now Azali, let’s stay calm…”

“Shut up Veron! I don’t need your lectures. That was incitement!”

“I… I’m sure they didn’t mean it.” Veron turned to the crowd. “No one meant that, right?”

The terrified crowd murmured in agreement.

“See Azali? Just… um… no harm meant…”

Azali glared. “May the joyous sounds of lies that echo from the beaks of the birds satiate your appetites.”

Veron sighed. “So… does that mean… you’re good?”

“Not one is ever good,” said Azali. “But I shall let this be… for now.”

“That’s… good.” Veron stepped back and forced a smile. “Or bad… or… whatever, all right then.” He turned to the crowd. “Everything is all right, everyone, just… move along.”

“Enjoy your lies,” Azali snarled.

Azali continued up the street, sending people fleeing in her wake. The crowds of the city shuffled out of her way, watching with wary eyes as the guards held close to their hilts. Everywhere Azali went the crowd seemed to frown, growing suddenly glum in the midst of the wondrous day. All was going as Azali hoped.

Azali went to turn the corner towards the bridge spanning the river at the center of town. There in the central market life always seemed fullest in the city. There her intervention was most needed. As she stepped onto the main road she paused. A familiar voice floated down from further up the street. Azali glared.

“Mairwen.”

Azali moved out of sight and listened as Mairwen hurried down the road.

“I told you to stay in the temple Sigurd,” said Mairwen to the Human that traveled with her. “It would have saved so much time instead of traveling from the inn every day.”

“I preferred that it not appear as if there was room at the temple,” replied Sigurd. “But we can discuss this when we return. Right now we need to worry about getting to the summons.”

Azali’s ears pricked. “A summons?”

“Of course,” said Mairwen. “But why you’d leave things at the inn unguarded…”

“They are just personal affects.” Sigurd shook his head. “Really Mairwen is it so hard to understand why I try to blend in? Of course there are easier ways to do this. But this is not the place for that discussion.”

Mairwen looked around. “I suppose not. Perhaps I should be more like Gwelladur was. It’s hard to know who to trust these days…”

Azali stepped from the shadows into their path. “Hello Mairwen.”

“Azali…” Mairwen recoiled. “What brings you out on this fine day?”

“There is nothing fine in the obfuscation of death.” Azali stared at Sigurd. “And who is your friend here? He looks like he’s been around. Does he understand death?”

“I understand death quite well, thank you,” replied Sigurd. “But if you’ll excuse us we’re in quite a hurry.”

“Oh I’m sorry,” said Azali, “In a hurry to see the Queen are you?”

Mairwen frowned. “How would you know?”

“I was summoned too.” The ends of Azali’s lips curled, as if she might smile. “I’m very important too you know.”

“But you hate Elves.”

Azali’s eyes flickered. “So should you. What their kind has done to the Dark Elves…”

“No Azali,” said Mairwen. “It’s what some of their kind did in the past. The Mountain Elves and Dark Elves live in peace now.”

“The harmony is a lie!” Azali moved closer to Mairwen. “Secretly they all wish to betray our people. Anora would have had us all in chains…”

“If it wasn’t for other Elves who fought back,” interrupted Mairwen. “How many times do we have to go through this Azali?”

“Until you quit betraying your people.”

“I’m not betraying my people.” Mairwen glared at Azali. “I’m trying to represent myself in a positive light that will reflect well on all of us.”

Azali scowled. “You’re hopeless. Go to your damned summons and help the heathens.”

“Wait…” Sigurd looked thoughtful. “Azali… are you that Dark Elf that hunted down the vampire clan that was holed up in the Marynolaeth Mountains?”

“Undead are a mockery of the sacred realities of life.” Azali clenched her teeth. “I’d slaughter them all again if I had to.”

“Well I hope to see you at the summons then.” Sigurd turned to Mairwen. “We certainly could use help hunting down all those necromancers.”

“Necromancers?” Azali twitched. “The most vile creatures ever to walk this dark and barren world? How has news not come to me of this?” Azali drew her sword and snarled. “My blade will drink the blood of those who think they can defy the laws of nature with their blasphemous, unholy magic!”

“Oh no.” Mairwen shook her head. “We don’t need this sort of madness.” She grabbed Sigurd’s arm and pulled him down the road. “Come on Sigurd we have things to do. Good day Azali.”

“Where are the necromancers?” barked Azali. “Tell me where!”

“No, Azali!” Mairwen called over her shoulder. “I’d rather not have you destroying the forests. I don’t think that would go over well with the Queen.”

“The forests…” A glimmer of a smile seemed to form on Azali’s face. “And a summons… It would seem I have a new calling.”

Azali went back to her room at the inn and began to pack her bags. “Soon the foul demons of the forest will know my wrath, and the Queen of the Forest will know what Dark Elves can really do…”




© 2015 JoshiDx


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on March 6, 2014
Last Updated on February 1, 2015


Author

JoshiDx
JoshiDx

Iceland



About
I decided to break down and write something here. Too bad I don't know what to say. What's there to know about someone who doesn't exist? Even if words capture the essence we are still at a loss for w.. more..

Writing
No Longer Me No Longer Me

A Poem by JoshiDx